Jewelry/Clothing found with Princess Blue's remains

MrsG728

Reaction score
you are amazing! Such a good eye for this. I just re-looked the details of the case and I can't believe they don't have a record of the rings from that year :(
I am thinking that maybe this ring could have belonged to the parent of the young girl wearing it? My aunt graduated in 1975, and she could have been old enough to be my mom.

I wonder how many Lee High School girls in 1975 would have ordered the exact ring. Also, according to my aunt, back in the 1970's the guys and girls rings were basically the same big oval ring. Not like today where girls can order dainty little things- she described them as big and bulky. I'd rule out that this was a guy's ring sized down to a girl's.

MG

I am curious to know what size the ring was originally. It was re sized twice according to a jeweler. It's final size when found on this Princess Doe was 9 1/2. And, it appears to be a lady's ring. I remember that the difference between the men's and lady's rings was subtle back then; but, I think the band on the lady's ring was narrower than on a man's ring.

Why not pose the question to the alumni group from that high school and ask about the ornate, "L". For example, did anyone who ordered a plain ring also have the ornate, "L" inscribed on the inside even though their initials have no, "L"? If so, than all that "L" might just stand for Lee. But, if we find someone who has a plain ring with nothing in it, then that ornate, "L" might stand for someones name. We can ask about the rings in general. For example, how does a lady's ring differ from a man's ring, in general.

Does anyone out there have a high school ring from around the year 1975(from any high school) to compare? If so, can you post a pic and state if it is a lady's, man's, and if it was custom designed or standard. Thanks sleuthers.

Lion

Can anyone tell what type of design is on the sides of the Lee High School ring? Is it just the class year?

I've been looking around on Ebay at high school rings and I've seen a few that have the first letter of the school it is under the stone. Such as for Pickens High School it has the "P" under the stone and then there is another for Davis High School has a "D" under the stone. There was another I don't recall right now but it's very possible that the ornate "L" under the Lee High School ring just stood for Lee High School.

Hi RKnowly. In 1990, Robert E. Lee High School changed its name to Lee High School. However, in 1975, I would have thought that if someone wanted the initial of their school it would have been more likely to be an "R" instead of an, "L". What are your thoughts on that?

Also, I found an alumni list for Robert E. Lee High School in Houston TX, and I am quite sure it is the correct school. There were only 10 or so names on it; however, I emailed what is below to each one. In addition, my sister found the person in charge of reunions (at least up until 1975). That person would likely have a list of most if not all who graduated in 1975. She is emailing her the info below, too.

This is what is being sent to all alumi I can find and to the person in charge of reunions:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello. I am emailing each of you from an alumni list I tracked down on the internet from Robert E. Lee High School, Houston. I belong to Websleuths, an armchair sleuthing forum. We have come across an unidentified girl or young woman who was wearing a 1975 Robert E. Lee High School ring. She was discovered in Brazoria County, South of Houston in 1990 and was estimated to be between the ages of 16 and 22. Therefor she was too young to have attended your High School.
However, the high school ring this Princess Doe was wearing when she was found was in fact originally owned by someone in your graduating class of 1975. We believe that it is possible that whomever it was from your class who originally owned this ring may be the key to this Princess Doe's identity. Please feel free to visit us to read what we are trying to do on behalf of our Princess Doe at
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1413554&posted=1#post1413554
I have included some pertinent information to this case in the hopes that one or more of you may help to ultimately solve this case. Surely Princess Doe is loved and missed by someone, and I am asking for any help you can give. Please note that the first two rings you probably have never had cause to see; but, I included them anyway--just in case.
Also, if there is anyone else from your class that you are still in contact with that you can forward this to, I would be most thankful. Someone may know something.
Additionally, if any of you still have your school ring, would you be able to describe it and perhaps even take a picture and send it to me for us to compare with Princess Doe's ring? What we need to know is if your school rings came standard with an ornate, "L" inlaid in the main stone (for Robert E. Lee High School), was it an upgraded option, or was there an option to inlay one of your personal initials in the main stone? If the latter is true, we may already have a clue as to who the original owner of that ring might be. Also, is there a difference between the men's and ladies' rings? Did the the rings of 1975 come fairly standard (unlike today's danced up, customized high school rings)? Is there anyone from your class who had a younger sister, daughter, niece, or other family member go missing around 1989 or 1990? Any information you can offer as to whom this may have belonged to would be so greatly appreciated.
Please email me with any information at ++++@++++++++.com

Most Sincerely,

LionRun

The Doe Network:
Case File 137UFTX

137UFTX.jpg
137UFTX1.jpg
137UFTX2.jpg

Victim's Ring
Unidentified White / Hispanic Female

The victim was discovered on September 10, 1990 in Brazoria County, Texas.
Estimated Date of Death: 6 months - 1 year

Vital Statistics
Estimated age: 16 - 22 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 4'10" - 5'2"
Distinguishing Characteristics: The victim possibly had a tumor on her knee.
Dentals: Dental information available
DNA: IN CODIS
Jewelry: A gold band with 6 clear stones, 2 thin silver bands, a silver band with a scroll design, a Robert E. Lee High School ring (1975), a silver ring with a turquoise unicorn and a pearl-beaded bracelet.
Case History
The victim was located on a pile of debris at the end of a Brazoria County road on September 10, 1990
The skeleton was found by an Alvin man who had pulled off the highway to find a place to urinate. He stepped behind a barricade and saw a skull in an old tire.
Authorities believe the rings are the clue to solving the case. Three rings were on the skeleton's fingers. One was silver with a scroll design, another had a turquoise unicorn on it. But investigators think the 1975 Lee High School ring probably has the best chance of leading to her identity. A jeweler told investigators the ring was a size 9 1/2 and had been resized twice. The person it fit was probably about 175 pounds. She would have been far too young for the 1975 class ring to be hers. It could have been given to her by an aunt, an older sister, by anybody.
The company that made Lee High School's rings doesn't have records from 1975. The Lee class of 1975 probably had about 150 girls. Authorities would like to hear from any of the girls who lost a ring or gave it to somebody else. An ornate "L" inlaid in the blue stone could have stood for the owner's last name or for Lee High School.
No traces of drugs were found in the bone marrow.

This is what I having trouble understanding. The jeweler said the ring "was a size 9 1/2, resized twice".
The ring is size 9 1/2 when found on the UID finger, sized, most likely up. I say this because, the UID is a max of 5'2". And according to the jeweler a size 9 1/2 ring fits someone around 175#. That's an awful lot of weight for someone only 5'2". So the UID had to be very overweight in proportion to height. I'm 5'2" and my ring sizes for various fingers range from size 4 1/2 to 6 1/2, and weight 108#.

This is what I having trouble understanding. The jeweler said the ring "was a size 9 1/2, resized twice".
The ring is size 9 1/2 when found on the UID finger, sized, most likely up. I say this because, the UID is a max of 5'2". And according to the jeweler a size 9 1/2 ring fits someone around 175#. That's an awful lot of weight for someone only 5'2". So the UID had to be very overweight in proportion to height. I'm 5'2" and my ring sizes for various fingers range from size 4 1/2 to 6 1/2, and weight 108#.

true- I am 5'2" and although I weigh a lot more than 108, I am nowhere near a size 9 ring (closer to the estimated 175, lol) I wear a 6.5 on my ring finger.

However- I do wear a 8.5 or 9 on my pointer finger. IF This person went through the trouble of getting a ring sized up, it means she was very close to the owner of the ring. I still say "mother". I agree with you- this ring was sized up. You'd need to start with an 11 or so to get it sized down to a 9.5
Maybe this was a guy's ring before? I've mentioned that in those days the rings were almost all the same. I have to go think about this now.

true- I am 5'2" and although I weigh a lot more than 108, I am nowhere near a size 9 ring (closer to the estimated 175, lol) I wear a 6.5 on my ring finger.

However- I do wear a 8.5 or 9 on my pointer finger. IF This person went through the trouble of getting a ring sized up, it means she was very close to the owner of the ring. I still say "mother". I agree with you- this ring was sized up. You'd need to start with an 11 or so to get it sized down to a 9.5
Maybe this was a guy's ring before? I've mentioned that in those days the rings were almost all the same. I have to go think about this now.

I tried to contact someone from R E Lee in Houston and accidentally contacted someone from the 1975 graduating class at R E Lee in San Antonio. He said that the rings for male and female were pretty much the same except for size. I have also contacted the alumni for the correct 1975 class, and hopefully someone will email me with more info. At this point; however, maybe we can't assume it is a men's or a ladie's ring. We might want to assume it could be either unless or until we can fill in the gaps.

I wonder, too was it sized up or down? And, why twice? It would be more logical that she had to size it up a second time possibly die to weight gain. But, whoever sized it, twice no less cared about the ring or he/she wouldn't have re-sized it twice, no less.

If she was 4' 10" to 5' 2" tall and weighed 175 LB, she was very weight, I agree. There are many people, including young people who are very overweight or obese; however, in 1989 or 1990 when Princess Doe died, obesity was not nearly as common. That in itself could help us find her, I would think.

Does anyone know if there was ever a manner of death appointed?

Lion

LionRun,

Yes, we do know for a fact that the high school ring Princess Doe was wearing came from that class. You are correct that we don't know how that ring came to be in the possession of Princess Doe. I was wondering what size Princess Doe's other rings were that she had on. I guess that isn't noted anywhere. I have this weird scenario in my mind that maybe the ring belonged to the murderer of Princess Doe (If indeed she was murdered) and that they placed the ring on her finger as their signature. I know that's probably way off but it is a possibility. I think I've watched too many CSI's and Criminal Mind's..lol

Here is the information on the agency you would contact with any information on this case.

Investigators
If you have any information about this case please contact:
Harris County Medical Examiner
713-796-9292
Or
Texas Missing Persons Clearinghouse
800-346-3243
You may remain anonymous when submitting information.
Agency Case Number:
U0310014 NCIC Number:
U-940003426
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

ETA: I wonder if you could just contact Harris County, Texas LE??

RKnowley, you rock! Great that you found this. Let's send this to the LE involved, and see if they want to get this. The ring came from that class--that is fact, isn't it? It is a very good lead, and that yearbook should have all of the 75 class, male and female. How do I find out which LE is handling her case. I will send it to them, if I can find the correct LE info to send it to.

Although, it is possible that the ring was stolen by some thief from the original owner and given to a girlfriend, our Princess Doe, or some other scenario could have occurred where the original owner did not know Princess Doe, it is possible the two knew each other.

Geesh, I am thinking about buying the book myself.

Lion

I guess the person who originally owned the ring could have had it resized at one point and then perhaps Princess Doe had it resized when she received it?

I wonder, too was it sized up or down? And, why twice? It would be more logical that she had to size it up a second time possibly die to weight gain. But, whoever sized it, twice no less cared about the ring or he/she wouldn't have re-sized it twice, no less.

Lion

LionRun,

Yes, we do know for a fact that the high school ring Princess Doe was wearing came from that class. You are correct that we don't know how that ring came to be in the possession of Princess Doe. I was wondering what size Princess Doe's other rings were that she had on. I guess that isn't noted anywhere. I have this weird scenario in my mind that maybe the ring belonged to the murderer of Princess Doe (If indeed she was murdered) and that they placed the ring on her finger as their signature. I know that's probably way off but it is a possibility.

Here is the information on the agency you would contact with any information on this case.

Investigators
If you have any information about this case please contact:
Harris County Medical Examiner
713-796-9292
Or
Texas Missing Persons Clearinghouse
800-346-3243
You may remain anonymous when submitting information.
Agency Case Number:
U0310014 NCIC Number:
U-940003426
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

ETA: I wonder if you could just contact Harris County, Texas LE??

RKnowly, that exact thought crossed my mind. I, too wonder if the ring wasn't placed on her finger after she died. I think it is a great question you have about the size of the other rings. That would tell us not only if she actually was about 175 LBS; but, it may indicate whether or not the ring was placed on her finger after death or if she had been wearing it.

We still don't have a manner of death, though. She was found amongst a pile of debris which may indicate foul play, especially if the debris pile was at the end of a county road versus near a river where debris piled up as a result of a flood.

If she was murdered, and the killer owned the ring, it would have been more likely a male due to statistics. Do men generally re-size rings, twice, no less? I would think that a man who outgrows a ring would opt to put it away and just not wear it. Is my thinking off here? Sorry if it is, and I have no problem standing corrected. Or, the killer could have stolen the ring from the original owner(like I suggested as just one possibility before), then given to Princess Doe in life or possibly placed on her finger as a reverse souvenir effect, a signature as it were. He would have no concern that it would be tied to him if he had stolen it. if it were originally his, he might not want to leave it on her.

In any event, these may all be possibilities, and I don't want to chase zebras before we have round up all of the horses. I want to check the simplest theories, that a relative of Princess Doe may have been the original owner of the ring. We can find this out or help LE find this, and it would be a good start.

Lion

You are so right. Stick to the simplest theories first. I'm getting way out there in left field. Sorry. It is possible that Princess Doe came into possession of the ring if the original owner had died (say the ring belonged to mom, or aunt or etc) and Princess Doe cherished that ring and wore it as a reminder of a loved one.

I posted an ad on craigslist.com for the Houston, Texas area in the Lost and Found section with Princess Doe's information.

You can find the posting here: I am going back now to add the websleuths link to this thread as I feel it's very important to have all the information offered in this thread.

http://houston.craigslist.org/laf/305117923.html

RKnowly, that exact thought crossed my mind. I, too wonder if the ring wasn't placed on her finger after she died. I think it is a great question you have about the size of the other rings. That would tell us not only if she actually was about 175 LBS; but, it may indicate whether or not the ring was placed on her finger after death or if she had been wearing it.

We still don't have a manner of death, though. She was found amongst a pile of debris which may indicate foul play, especially if the debris pile was at the end of a county road versus near a river where debris piled up as a result of a flood.

If she was murdered, and the killer owned the ring, it would have been more likely a male due to statistics. Do men generally re-size rings, twice, no less? I would think that a man who outgrows a ring would opt to put it away and just not wear it. Is my thinking off here? Sorry if it is, and I have no problem standing corrected. Or, the killer could have stolen the ring from the original owner(like I suggested as just one possibility before), then given to Princess Doe in life or possibly placed on her finger as a reverse souvenir effect, a signature as it were. He would have no concern that it would be tied to him if he had stolen it. if it were originally his, he might not want to leave it on her.

In any event, these may all be possibilities, and I don't want to chase zebras before we have round up all of the horses. I want to check the simplest theories, that a relative of Princess Doe may have been the original owner of the ring. We can find this out or help LE find this, and it would be a good start.

Lion

Good idea RKnowly. You have a lot of good ideas. And, I will call LE and Missing Persons tomorrow with the yearbook info.

Lion

I guess the person who originally owned the ring could have had it resized at one point and then perhaps Princess Doe had it resized when she received it?
As I recall, when ordering my HS class ring, they were ordered to your corrrect size. I'm guessing the ring was resized the first time after 1975. I think first we must establish if indeed the ring was a female or male class ring. And also, the sizing of the other rings found on her fingers. Would LE have the size estimates for the other rings?

Yes, I do agree that the ring was resized the first time after 1975. It is possible the original owner had it resized at some point after 1975 if they gained or lost weight. Then perhaps when the ring was given to Princess Doe (if that is the case) she may have had it resized to fit her.

I don't know if LE would have size estimates for the other rings or if they only found out the size of the high school ring because it was the best chance of finding out who Princess Doe is?

As I recall, when ordering my HS class ring, they were ordered to your corrrect size. I'm guessing the ring was resized the first time after 1975. I think first we must establish if indeed the ring was a female or male class ring. And also, the sizing of the other rings found on her fingers. Would LE have the size estimates for the other rings?

Yes, I do agree that the ring was resized the first time after 1975. It is possible the original owner had it resized at some point after 1975 if they gained or lost weight. Then perhaps when the ring was given to Princess Doe (if that is the case) she may have had it resized to fit her.

I don't know if LE would have size estimates for the other rings or if they only found out the size of the high school ring because it was the best chance of finding out who Princess Doe is?
Someone in charge of her property could get one of ring size bars. Or see if the ring fits anyone there to get the size. Another thing maybe is to ask which fingers the rings were on. We can estimate the sizes ourselves. My ring finger is 2 sizes smaller than the middle finger, and 2 1/2 sizes smaller than my index finger.
Hi Legendofcroft...welcome to WS. If you can think of anything to help out just jump right in! :D

snipping
He said that the rings for male and female were pretty much the same except for size. I have also contacted the alumni for the correct 1975 class, and hopefully someone will email me with more info. At this point; however, maybe we can't assume it is a men's or a ladie's ring. We might want to assume it could be either unless or until we can fill in the gaps.
- right.. good thinking! I am glad you confirmed what my aunt always whined about (their rings were basically the same) We basically have to guess that if it was a men's ring sized 11ish it was sized down. If it were a women's ring sized 7ish then sized up. I am just wondering if this is a guy's ring, would a man have a script "monogram" looking "L" in the stone?
I personally have also been assuming that the L is a first-name initial, not an "L" for Lee or a last name monogram. JMHO

There are many people, including young people who are very overweight or obese; however, in 1989 or 1990 when Princess Doe died, obesity was not nearly as common. That in itself could help us find her, I would think.
-you're right about more recent obesity, but it still leads me to think that if she wore multiple rings (I did back in the early 90's) that this was her Pointer Finger ring. Mine is a size 9, middle finger is more like a 7.5 and ring finger is 6.5 or 6 Also, my dominant hand pointer finger and middle finger are bigger.

Excellent questions and thoughts, Sadie. I imagine LE should have the ring sizes. In any event, if they have the rings, they an get the sizes.

So, does anyone want to call LE about this?

I just had several emails sent to graduates of that 75 class, and if someone emails me back I am going to ask a slew of questions including about men's versus ladie's ring similarities.

Oh, and welcome legendofcroft. I hope you like it here. We have some really nice and interesting members here. BTW, your nic hat name is nice.

Lion

MrsG, I had the same idea. A young man would be less inclined to have an initial inlaid in the stone of his class ring--especially back then. Also, I asked several 18 and 19 year olds if they would have gotten first name initial, a last name initial or their school name initial on their school ring stone. All of them said they either would have gotten a first name initial or they actually did get their first name initial inlaid in their stone. None would have their last name initial on their ring standing alone. And, none would have their school name initial. It was only a poll of 5 recent high school grads, and times can change a bit; but, I thought as they did. had I had an initial inlaid on my school ring it would have been the initial of my first name.

Also, isn't a ring guard more common to use when re-sizing a ring down? And, it must have been one huge ring if it were down sized twice to a fairly large 9 1/2. So, I am thinking it was probably enlarged twice.

Lion

I can't help but think that this ring may belong to her father, if her age is closer to 16 or (15 maybe) minus the age from her date of being located, would make it 1974-1975? Could she have the ring from her father? Perhaps, something may have happened to him and this was given to her as rememberence of him. Is there someway of finding out if someone from that class passed away? The size of the ring does lead me to believe it could be a mans ring, seeing as though there are no initials, men in my class (1984) didn't have inscriptions done, they all thought is "was a girl thing". Just another possibility.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back