1702 users online (347 members and 1355 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RKnowley View Post
    Yes, I do agree that the ring was resized the first time after 1975. It is possible the original owner had it resized at some point after 1975 if they gained or lost weight. Then perhaps when the ring was given to Princess Doe (if that is the case) she may have had it resized to fit her.

I don't know if LE would have size estimates for the other rings or if they only found out the size of the high school ring because it was the best chance of finding out who Princess Doe is?
    Someone in charge of her property could get one of ring size bars. Or see if the ring fits anyone there to get the size. Another thing maybe is to ask which fingers the rings were on. We can estimate the sizes ourselves. My ring finger is 2 sizes smaller than the middle finger, and 2 1/2 sizes smaller than my index finger.
    Hi Legendofcroft...welcome to WS. If you can think of anything to help out just jump right in!

snipping
    Quote Originally Posted by LionRun View Post
    He said that the rings for male and female were pretty much the same except for size. I have also contacted the alumni for the correct 1975 class, and hopefully someone will email me with more info. At this point; however, maybe we can't assume it is a men's or a ladie's ring. We might want to assume it could be either unless or until we can fill in the gaps.
    - right.. good thinking! I am glad you confirmed what my aunt always whined about (their rings were basically the same) We basically have to guess that if it was a men's ring sized 11ish it was sized down. If it were a women's ring sized 7ish then sized up. I am just wondering if this is a guy's ring, would a man have a script "monogram" looking "L" in the stone?
    I personally have also been assuming that the L is a first-name initial, not an "L" for Lee or a last name monogram. JMHO

There are many people, including young people who are very overweight or obese; however, in 1989 or 1990 when Princess Doe died, obesity was not nearly as common. That in itself could help us find her, I would think.
    -you're right about more recent obesity, but it still leads me to think that if she wore multiple rings (I did back in the early 90's) that this was her Pointer Finger ring. Mine is a size 9, middle finger is more like a 7.5 and ring finger is 6.5 or 6 Also, my dominant hand pointer finger and middle finger are bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by SadieMae View Post
    As I recall, when ordering my HS class ring, they were ordered to your corrrect size. I'm guessing the ring was resized the first time after 1975. I think first we must establish if indeed the ring was a female or male class ring. And also, the sizing of the other rings found on her fingers. Would LE have the size estimates for the other rings?
    Excellent questions and thoughts, Sadie. I imagine LE should have the ring sizes. In any event, if they have the rings, they an get the sizes.

So, does anyone want to call LE about this?

I just had several emails sent to graduates of that 75 class, and if someone emails me back I am going to ask a slew of questions including about men's versus ladie's ring similarities.

Oh, and welcome legendofcroft. I hope you like it here. We have some really nice and interesting members here. BTW, your nic hat name is nice.

Lion

MrsG, I had the same idea. A young man would be less inclined to have an initial inlaid in the stone of his class ring--especially back then. Also, I asked several 18 and 19 year olds if they would have gotten first name initial, a last name initial or their school name initial on their school ring stone. All of them said they either would have gotten a first name initial or they actually did get their first name initial inlaid in their stone. None would have their last name initial on their ring standing alone. And, none would have their school name initial. It was only a poll of 5 recent high school grads, and times can change a bit; but, I thought as they did. had I had an initial inlaid on my school ring it would have been the initial of my first name.

Also, isn't a ring guard more common to use when re-sizing a ring down? And, it must have been one huge ring if it were down sized twice to a fairly large 9 1/2. So, I am thinking it was probably enlarged twice.

Lion

I can't help but think that this ring may belong to her father, if her age is closer to 16 or (15 maybe) minus the age from her date of being located, would make it 1974-1975? Could she have the ring from her father? Perhaps, something may have happened to him and this was given to her as rememberence of him. Is there someway of finding out if someone from that class passed away? The size of the ring does lead me to believe it could be a mans ring, seeing as though there are no initials, men in my class (1984) didn't have inscriptions done, they all thought is "was a girl thing". Just another possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by teonspaleprincess View Post
    I am so impressed with you all! I am so proud to be a part of the websleuths team. It is amazing what you can come up with when you have so many minds working together. I posted this case on a few other sites about unsolved crimes, with links to this thread also. And when I posted at classmate.com, I used the picture of the ring as my profile pic, hoping someone would see it and email me. I did the same thing at reunion.com. Are there any other sites that you all think may be helpful? I added it to myspace, but since it is frequented by a younger crowd, I don't know if it will do much good.
    Outstanding!!!!! What a genius!!!

Can anyone tell what color the stone in the ring is? it looked to me at first to be blue, but edges seem a different color, so I am wondering if this the glare off the ring. The reason I ask is because I found the following information posted on a website for people who have lost class rings. It also said she did her on initials on the side, no mention of that in the description of the ring from Webslueths.

Ring Detail For Lost Ring ID 3379
    Contact Ring Owner
    Class Year
    Metal
    Silver
    Initials
    C-D-N
    School Name
    Robert E. Lee High School
    Texture
    Faceted

Stone
    January - Garnet
    Entered
    8/9/2006
    Manufacturer
    Jostens
    Mascot
    Rebels
    Returned
    NoInformation on where the ring was lost
    City
    Lubbock
    State
    TexasComments: My full name was engraved in my handwriting on the inside.

I graduated High School in '89 and I remember wearing my brother's class ring all the time. I wore it on my index finger, which was a 9.5. I also weighed about 175/180. Also, my ring has my initials engraved on the inside of the ring, but with the ring being from '75, the engraving is probabaly worn away.

Hi Synthia,
    This is the description of the class ring. It says the stone is blue.

An ornate "L" inlaid in the blue stone could have stood for the owner's last name or for Lee High School.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthia1021 View Post
    Can anyone tell what color the stone in the ring is? it looked to me at first to be blue, but edges seem a different color, so I am wondering if this the glare off the ring. The reason I ask is because I found the following information posted on a website for people who have lost class rings. It also said she did her on initials on the side, no mention of that in the description of the ring from Webslueths.

Ring Detail For Lost Ring ID 3379
    Contact Ring Owner

Class Year

Metal

Silver
    Initials

C-D-N
    School Name

Robert E. Lee High School
    Texture

Faceted
    Ladies
    Stone

January - Garnet
    Entered

8/9/2006
    Manufacturer

Jostens
    Mascot

Rebels
    Returned

NoInformation on where the ring was lost
    City

Lubbock
    State

TexasComments: My full name was engraved in my handwriting on the inside.

OK, doing the math (HAHAHA..me doing math) here if Princess Doe was between 16-22 years of age when she died she would have been born approx. 1968 to 1974. If she was born around 1968 the age difference between the original ring owner (would have been born about 1957 if they graduated in 1975)would only be 11 years. If Princess Doe was born around 1974 there would be about 17 years difference between original ring owner and Princess Doe. Does this sound right to you all?

Thanks Rknowley, I read the post a million times and still did not see the ring stone was blue. Time for me to take a break I think. By the way, for anyone looking for missing or found class rings. Check out www.classringfinder.com Robert E. Lee has several listings.

Noooooooooooo..Synthia, come back!! You may have found something very useful. If the person who lost this 1975 ring went to Robert E. Lee High School (In Houston) then they may know something about the original owner of the ring Princess Doe was wearing. Is there a way for you to contact the person who posted about the lost ring??

Quote Originally Posted by Synthia1021 View Post
    Thanks Rknowley, I read the post a million times and still did not see the ring stone was blue. Time for me to take a break I think. By the way, for anyone looking for missing or found class rings. Check out www.classringfinder.com Robert E. Lee has several listings.

Was it common to choose the designs on the sides of the ring back in the 70's? I know today you can choose from a bunch of symbols that signify school activities you participated in, or even what religion you follow. Maybe if that was done with this ring, it could help determine who she is.

I found something in a search that is driving me crazy. I googled missing "class ring" "lee High School" and found the following link on page 4.

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...nk&cd=32&gl=us

It's a craigslist posting dated January 25 under lost and found. When I tried to read the post, it said "This posting has expired. (The title on the listings page will be removed in just a few minutes.)" Does anyone know how to pull up the cached version of the posting? I tried searching cached:http://houston.craigslist.org/laf/268167253.html on google, but got nothing.

Also, wanted to add that the person who the ring originally belonged to may have been born in September. The blue stone appears to be a sapphire, which is the birthstone for September.

Just a thought!

Just trying to figure it out. Did LE say that they thought she weighed around 175? Or is it just a guess b/c of the ring? I am 115 pounds, but I have really big fingers. My ring finger is an 8, and my index finger is a 9 1/2. I have always hated my hands for this fact
    I wore my h.s. boyfriends ring on my thumb, so that me be a thought too.
    Anyway, I am just saying she may have been like me and just had big fingers!
    You guys are great - keep up the good work!
    I also know that my h.s. ring had my last initial on it. So did my husbands! I guess it just differs from person to person!
    April

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast