Thread: Millions of Bees Loose on CA Highway 99

Millions of Bees Loose on CA Highway 99

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080317/...gHXkqtIcwZ.3QA
    The California Highway Patrol says 8-to-12 million bees escaped Sunday from the crates in which they were stored and swarmed over an area of Highway 99 and stung officers, firefighters and tow truck drivers trying to clear the accident. (more buzz at link)

This happened a few miles from me... what the article doesn't tell you is how they caught most of the bees... they set up the bee boxes on the side of the road... and they flew right over to them and settled inside! They say that bees smell other bees and gravitate together.

“Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.” Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sr.

Bees obviously are smarter than a lot bigger animals.

hipmamajen is offline I love the friends I have gathered together on this thin raft...
    Quote Originally Posted by Taximom View Post
    (more buzz at link)
    Har!
    Just thinkin' out loud....

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRose99 View Post
    This happened a few miles from me... what the article doesn't tell you is how they caught most of the bees... they set up the bee boxes on the side of the road... and they flew right over to them and settled inside! They say that bees smell other bees and gravitate together.
    Wow! Do they automatically blend into other hives? I think ants do the opposite and immediately attack any ant that isn't from their own hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    Wow! Do they automatically blend into other hives? I think ants do the opposite and immediately attack any ant that isn't from their own hill.
    I didn't get the technical details (too busy eating corned beef and cabbage! LOL!) but that's the impression I got.

“Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.” Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sr.

They gravitate towards the queens, not other bees. The beekeeper probably brought more queens or possibly the queens were still in the boxes. It's very simple.

Well that explains why I had two bees in my car just hours apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
    Well that explains why I had two bees in my car just hours apart.
    Because you are a queen? We all are queens, in the best sense.