Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Millions of Bees Loose on CA Highway 99

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    16,705

    Millions of Bees Loose on CA Highway 99

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080317/...gHXkqtIcwZ.3QA
    The California Highway Patrol says 8-to-12 million bees escaped Sunday from the crates in which they were stored and swarmed over an area of Highway 99 and stung officers, firefighters and tow truck drivers trying to clear the accident. (more buzz at link)


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,339
    This happened a few miles from me... what the article doesn't tell you is how they caught most of the bees... they set up the bee boxes on the side of the road... and they flew right over to them and settled inside! They say that bees smell other bees and gravitate together.

    “Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.” Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sr.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Lone Star State
    Posts
    6,360
    Bees obviously are smarter than a lot bigger animals.

  4. #4
    hipmamajen's Avatar
    hipmamajen is offline I love the friends I have gathered together on this thin raft...
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,235
    Quote Originally Posted by Taximom View Post
    (more buzz at link)
    Har!
    Just thinkin' out loud....


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    18,419
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicRose99 View Post
    This happened a few miles from me... what the article doesn't tell you is how they caught most of the bees... they set up the bee boxes on the side of the road... and they flew right over to them and settled inside! They say that bees smell other bees and gravitate together.
    Wow! Do they automatically blend into other hives? I think ants do the opposite and immediately attack any ant that isn't from their own hill.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,339
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    Wow! Do they automatically blend into other hives? I think ants do the opposite and immediately attack any ant that isn't from their own hill.
    I didn't get the technical details (too busy eating corned beef and cabbage! LOL!) but that's the impression I got.

    “Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.” Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sr.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    on top of shale bedrock
    Posts
    1,609
    They gravitate towards the queens, not other bees. The beekeeper probably brought more queens or possibly the queens were still in the boxes. It's very simple.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    4,898
    Well that explains why I had two bees in my car just hours apart.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Great Lakes
    Posts
    3,106
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
    Well that explains why I had two bees in my car just hours apart.
    Because you are a queen? We all are queens, in the best sense.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •