Thread: FL Woman Sues To Collect On 147 Yr Old Promissory Note

FL Woman Sues To Collect On 147 Yr Old Promissory Note

I think this is absolute bs...my opinion only. Sounds like somebody just trying to get rich the quick and easy way.

The great-granddaughter of a Civil War-era storekeeper in Tampa, Fla. is suing the city for a 147-year-old unpaid promissory note. With interest, the note is now worth over $22 million.
    The financially-strapped city of Tampa, in need of ammunition during the Civil War, issued the note to Thomas Pugh Kennedy on June 21, 1861, the St. Petersburg Times reported Sunday. Kennedy's great-granddaughter, Joan Kennedy Biddle and her family are suing to collect the payment, plus 8 percent annual interest.
    "This thing has been in the family since the date on the note, and it has never been repaid," Biddle, 77, told the Times. "My daddy told me, and I certainly believe him." more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,338569,00.html

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to White Rain For This Useful Post:

Well, they have had his money all this time. **shrugs** Too bad it didn't have a maturity date for the interest to stop accruing. I foresee a long legal battle with her dying before it's settled.

Legally though, was it repayable only to the owner? That could be the "out" for FL.

could pay her in confederate money...

5. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Mira For This Useful Post:

LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by Mira View Post

Just saw something very similiar in the state of RI although it was issued in order to buy I think a state park & was for I think $1,000, the person who bought it at a yard sale donated it to a charity as it now has a present value of $25,000. The man bought the note for $1.50 at the yard sale. It cost him $1.50 & he now has a tax write off for the present value, so he does have the potential to financially benefit as well.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to altruist1000 For This Useful Post:

Well all I can say is Good Luck to this family*. This is just too funny.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CyberLaw For This Useful Post:

Or they could make a payment plan to pay a portion each year over the next 147 years.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marg from Oz For This Useful Post:

On top of the beautiful Appalachian Mountains.
    This reminded me of the Andy Griffith episode.
    An old man held a note, but due to it being Confederate money, he couldn't collect.
    Don't murder in Kentucky! My thread here.

http://websleuths.com/forums/showthr...n+lisa+tackett

A proud happy people, we were here long before the white man came. Stalking along meadow paths, we were used to hunting every day. The rivers gave us fish, The woods even gave us deer and other wild game. Here upon this land, we built our homes, and raised our families. Love was free and natural, as we moved swiftly among the trees. This was a country, It was here that we lived for centuries. Oh I want peace with my soul again. Oh I, I want peace with my soul again. Everyday was new love,. Our village was filled with smiling faces.

All credit from the quote above, goes to Tom Bee, and XIT! The first Rock Native American band.

Thank you Tom!!

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tulessa For This Useful Post:

If you follow the link to the Tampa Bay Times( at the bottom of the FOX article ), it gives the exact amount and the date that the promissory note was written.

"So it issued a promissory note for $299.58 to storekeeper Thomas Pugh Kennedy on June 21, 1861."

$300 with a whole lot of money in 1861. I can imagine that this might've created quite a financial hardship for the store owner. After all he had to pay for the guns himself before he sold them to the city of Tampa.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TGIRecovered For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tulessa View Post
    This reminded me of the Andy Griffith episode.
    An old man held a note, but due to it being Confederate money, he couldn't collect.
    I was thinking of that episode too.
    I think she should present the note to whoever is handling accounts payable and recievable for the Confederacy these days.
    Show up at one of those Civil War reinactments and make them pass the hat?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to kline For This Useful Post:

You'd think by the age of 77, you'd mellow out a little bit.
    Sadly, this woman seems to have become a shriveled up, materialistic, old hag.

Unless otherwise stated as fact with a link or reference provided, all posts are my OPINION only.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oh_gal For This Useful Post:

I wonder how anyone knows that it wasn't paid?
    "Crack up the music and dance!"

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ohiogirl For This Useful Post:

Well if it was paid then it should have been taken back or have paid in full written on it.

Quote Originally Posted by White Rain View Post
    I think this is absolute bs...my opinion only. Sounds like somebody just trying to get rich the quick and easy way.

The great-granddaughter of a Civil War-era storekeeper in Tampa, Fla. is suing the city for a 147-year-old unpaid promissory note. With interest, the note is now worth over $22 million.
    The financially-strapped city of Tampa, in need of ammunition during the Civil War, issued the note to Thomas Pugh Kennedy on June 21, 1861, the St. Petersburg Times reported Sunday. Kennedy's great-granddaughter, Joan Kennedy Biddle and her family are suing to collect the payment, plus 8 percent annual interest.
    "This thing has been in the family since the date on the note, and it has never been repaid," Biddle, 77, told the Times. "My daddy told me, and I certainly believe him." more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,338569,00.html
    If she is 77 years old, why attempt to collect it now and not years ago if this note has been in the family for 147 years? Did someone just discover it while rummaging through old storage boxes belonging to great-granddaddy???

MOO
    Rest in Peace
    Joey, Summer, Gianni & Joseph Mateo