1509 users online (379 members and 1130 guests)  


The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News


Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Chico, CA
    Posts
    23,126

    CA - Zane Newton, 9, Bakersfield, 19 March 2008

    ~snip~

    Police indicate the boy said a man got out of the car, shot Newton in the shoulder, then grabbed and kidnapped him by putting him in the car.

    According to police, there was no blood at scene and no steel casings, so the shooting has not been confirmed. One neighbor said she heard muffled noises and a possible shot coming from down the street, but didn't think anything of it.

    Police said they're looking for a white male wearing black clothing, a possible black mask or dark face make-up. They're also looking for a black four-door compact Honda-type vehicle with a white driver-side door and green license plate that was heading toward Highway 99. Police said they're using all available assets to locate the vehicle and have issued an Amber Alert.

    Zane Newton is 4 foot, 3 inches tall with brown hair and weighs 75 pounds. He was last seen wearing a loop earring, grey shirt, denim shorts and black shoes.

    http://www.turnto23.com/news/15643672/detail.html

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    843

    Oh NO!!!

    That link now says a body of a juvenile has been found. Just awful.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    33,681
    http://cbs2.com/local/Zane.Newton.Amber.2.680848.html

    The search for a boy who had been reported abducted ended with his body found and his friend confessing that they had played in an area they weren't supposed to be in.

    Zane Newton, 9, was killed after a tunnel collapsed and his friend panicked and made up the abduction story.

    Authorities had issued an Amber Alert for Zane and said a suspect had shot him with a possible paintball gun.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Chico, CA
    Posts
    23,126
    Oh no!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    33,681
    A little more detail at the below link. I feel for his friend. This could scar a kid for life.

    http://www.kget.com/news/local/story...2-0bc1800dddd0

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    16,237
    What the heck? How horrible for these two boys. I imagine the one was afraid, but he really should have gotten help sooner. There might have been a chance to save him.

  7. #7
    This is so sad.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Dana Point,CA
    Posts
    52,759
    I have been thinking about this story since it first broke. I have been trying to imagine why this boy was compelled to make up a story. I wonder if this is a situation where the one boy was so scared of his parents and he was not allowed to play there that he was just a-f-r-a-i-d to say they were there. I mean the natural insticnt of any child would be to get help IMO. To make up a story about being shot and kidnapped? It is just so strange and sad.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,660
    Quote Originally Posted by JBean View Post
    I have been thinking about this story since it first broke. I have been trying to imagine why this boy was compelled to make up a story. I wonder if this is a situation where the one boy was so scared of his parents and he was not allowed to play there that he was just a-f-r-a-i-d to say they were there. I mean the natural insticnt of any child would be to get help IMO. To make up a story about being shot and kidnapped? It is just so strange and sad.
    I'm not sure about that. These kids were specifically told not to play where they were. Sadly, I think it's more human nature to lie in order to avoid getting in trouble. The most astounding thing to me was the boy's description of the car. It was so detailed and unusual.

    I live in Vegas and saw the Amber Alert on the freeway on my way home from work - just before my exit. When I took my exit, I saw over a half dozen cop cars pulling over a car that fit the description. When I got home, the news was saying it was not the car they were looking for and within 5 - 10 minutes, they were saying they had found Zane deceased near his home. ALL of this happened - for me - in the span of about 20 minutes. Really shook me up. My sympathies go out to Zane's family. I am so very sorry.

  10. #10
    hipmamajen's Avatar
    hipmamajen is offline I love the friends I have gathered together on this thin raft...
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,199
    Man, that's so sad!
    Just thinkin' out loud....



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Dana Point,CA
    Posts
    52,759
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairy1 View Post
    I'm not sure about that. These kids were specifically told not to play where they were. Sadly, I think it's more human nature to lie in order to avoid getting in trouble. The most astounding thing to me was the boy's description of the car. It was so detailed and unusual.

    I live in Vegas and saw the Amber Alert on the freeway on my way home from work - just before my exit. When I took my exit, I saw over a half dozen cop cars pulling over a car that fit the description. When I got home, the news was saying it was not the car they were looking for and within 5 - 10 minutes, they were saying they had found Zane deceased near his home. ALL of this happened - for me - in the span of about 20 minutes. Really shook me up. My sympathies go out to Zane's family. I am so very sorry.
    At 9 they know the difference between life and death and when getting in trouble is not as important as saving a life. I am thinking this kid was unusually scared for some reason.
    BUt still and all he's a kid so who knows what was going through his mind.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3,852
    Quote Originally Posted by JBean View Post
    At 9 they know the difference between life and death and when getting in trouble is not as important as saving a life. I am thinking this kid was unusually scared for some reason.
    BUt still and all he's a kid so who knows what was going through his mind.

    When I was in kindergarten, some older kids in the neighborhood started a fire where we were all playing. Two of us got stuck behind the fire (it was very scary) but the bigger boys were able to stomp it out, and pull us to safety. They made us *PROMISE* to not tell anyone. I felt so intimidated by the promise that I made to them, that when my parents confronted me about my soot covered clothes and smokey smell, I lied and told them an outrageous story. Luckily my parents were smarter than a kindergartner! My point is that scared kids say $hit!



Similar Threads

  1. MO - Mother charged with suffocating Zane Tunnell, 3 mos, 1 March 2009
    By Kathee in forum Crimes-Spotlight on Children
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-18-2015, 12:14 AM
  2. GUILTY KS - Zane Pennington, 19 mos, beaten to death, mom's BF charged, 22 March 2011
    By MorenoI in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-29-2015, 05:37 PM
  3. Found Deceased MA - David Mark, 24, Newton, 2 March 2011
    By summer_breeze in forum Located Persons Discussion
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 03-09-2011, 11:13 AM