GUILTY GA - Roosevelt Cowins, 65, killed in home invasion, Augusta, 19 March 2008

Reannan

Reaction score
"An Augusta man was shot and killed by a 12-year-old boy late Wednesday night during a home invasion on Fenwick Street.......

Police responded to the home of 65-year-old Roosevelt Cowins at about 11:54 p.m. (3/19/08) and found him shot several times in the upper body, Richmond County Sheriff's Lt. Scott Peebles said in an e-mail. .......

Witnesses said the victim answered the door and the two suspects forced their way into his home. Police believe they demanded money from Mr. Cowins, then fired their weapons....."

http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/latest/lat_032008_0320HomeInvasion.shtml

They have arrested the 12 year old, and another 21 year old. The article linked above says they are looking for another 20 year old guy to question, but they have located him, and he is not going to be charged with anything. This happened very close to where I work. So sad.

This breaks my heart. This poor man. I wish no elderly people would answer their doors. A 12 year old. How much time is that kid going to see? He took away a man is probably someone's father, and grandpop I bet.

What are we doing wrong with these kids?

A 12 year old. How much time is that kid going to see?

I think the maximum sentence a 12-year-old can receive if convicted is 6 years in juve. But that will depend on his attorney's competence and the degree of influence the 21-year-old had on the kid as determined by a juvenile court, and whether or not he is found fit to stand trial. When children that young are involved in a serious crime they are often pronounced insane and end up in mental institutions. This is a way for the state to keep exceptionally violent children off the streets for a longer period of time (up to life in a state hospital) than having them serve a juvenile sentence and be released after a few years.

sometimes 12 year olds get tried as adults, like Chris Pitman,

I think 12 is too young to be tried as an adult but it has been done before,

the influence of the 21 year old adult on the 12 year old child will have to be accessed,

http://www.christopherpittman.org/

sometimes 12 year olds get tried as adults, like Chris Pitman

This varies from state to to state, in Georgia the cutoff age is 13, under that age no one can be prosecuted as an adult regardless of the nature of the charge.

I also think 12 is too young for one to be tried as an adult, most kids that young who commit murder are either severely emotionally impaired or under the influence of older individuals. This does not mean that, when deemed sane, they shouldn't be prosecuted to the full extent of the law but it should be as juveniles.

Fortunately preteen killers are rare and when it occurs more often than not they come from families with twisted values and a culture where violence and the casual use of weapons is viewed as a legitimate way of life instead of a means to defend oneself when warranted. While such a background shouldn't be used as an excuse in court by adults and older teens, who are expected to be able to tell right from wrong based on broader life experience, it is not reasonable to expect such a level of maturity on the part of children.

From what i've read, i'm guessing that the older men involved in this got the 12 year old in on it, since he was a minor and would get off easier. Makes me wonder how they knew the 12 year old; was he a relative? did they lure him saying it was a type of gang initiation?
My prayers for the victim and his family.
It is sad when we have to worry about opening our doors to children that could shoot us.

I actually think using the 12-year old was very sneaky. As an aside, 65 years old is really not that old. A lot of 65-year olds work full-time jobs and are perfectly capable of taking care of themselves. What I find interesting is the kid used in the crime. If a 21-year old rang my doorbell at night and I wasn't expecting company I might not answer the door. If a 12-year old did, I probably would open the door, thinking he was lost, needed help, etc. It's possible there are two victims in this crime. A guy who was shot in a home invasion and a young boy who was manipulated by a couple of idiots. And yes, the 12-year old might get a very light punishment compared to the crime.

From March 2008:

http://jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/032608/geo_261628515.shtml#.VhRN0bT8FWY

A Richmond County jail inmate charged with murder is believed to have hanged himself Monday, only hours after a 12-year-old charged as his accomplice appeared in juvenile court for a detention hearing.

Richmond County Sheriff's Maj. Ken Autry identified the dead inmate as Willie Herbert Casey, 21, suspected in the shooting death of Roosevelt Cowins, 65, in a home invasion Wednesday night.

From July 2008:

http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/2008/07/31/met_467766.shtml

It's a pitiful story, Assistant District Attorney Geoffrey Fogus began Wednesday. A 12-year-old shot an elderly man as he lay on the floor, pleading for his life. A child with an absentee father and incarcerated mother bounced among family members, victimized along the way.

And locking up the boy in a juvenile justice facility for the next 8 1/2 years might be the best thing to happen to him, said the judge who sentenced him.

On Wednesday morning, Coreon A. Jackson took the witness stand in Richmond County Juvenile Court and admitted that he shot 65-year-old Roosevelt Cowins.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back