698 users online (90 members and 608 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 47
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    9,705

    Sting Ray kills women in FL Keys

    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...,3766675.story


    MARATHON, Fla. - A 55-year-old woman from Michigan died Thursday in a freak accident in which she was struck by a 75-pound spotted eagle ray that jumped out of the Atlantic Ocean just off the shore of Key Colony Beach near Marathon.


    This is like sooo wear I live! I see these things all over the ocean.. Weird!!


    I should edit this for clarity.... The woman was most likely knocked over and that is what killed her as no barb marks were found.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    929
    Amra -

    Is it normal for them to do that - IE is there a large population of them in your area? That sounds like it'd be awesome to witness. My experience w/ seeing them have been the "little" ones in personal aquariums or at the zoo aquarium LOL
    Last edited by JinxieJada; 03-20-2008 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Read the article LOL

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    9,705
    This was a totally freak thing... They are guessing she hit her head when the Stingray jumped onto the boat.

    I think rarely but not unheard of stingrays do wind up in boats but rarely does someone die from it..

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    5,629
    Oh my. I've stayed many a weekend at my mother's friend's condo at Key Colony Beach. I had a key for the condo. It was my peacefull getaway from my ex before my divorce. How awful for her.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,668
    Very sad story. Here they were out for a nice day and this freak situation happens. I feel real bad for her sister and her elderly parents also to see this happen to their loved one.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    16,107
    How very sad! Do you think the stingray was jumping out of the water to get away from a shark?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,021
    Quote Originally Posted by Amraann View Post
    This was a totally freak thing... They are guessing she hit her head when the Stingray jumped onto the boat.

    I think rarely but not unheard of stingrays do wind up in boats but rarely does someone die from it..
    Wow - that's quite a way to go. This is normal behavior for these rays - but, like you say, it is rare for anyone to get harmed.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,668
    Quote Originally Posted by nanandjim View Post
    How very sad! Do you think the stingray was jumping out of the water to get away from a shark?
    Hi nanandjim. The story said they are capable of flying clear out of the water when being pursued, so I wonder if it was being pursued and what was after it also.

    Does anyone know if they do this only when being pursued?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,234
    omg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    816
    I live in south Florida not far from the keys . My husband is a diver and has seen these rays many times. He thinks that is is possible the ray was pursuing a school of fish and jumped when he came up on the boat. I don't know about you guys but I love the sights an sounds of the ocean. That being said though I do not swim anyplace where I become a part of the food chain.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Lone Star State
    Posts
    6,293
    And that is why, my friends, after the age of 50, one should not sunbathe. Divine intervention.

    Seriously, I'm beginning to think that sting rays are more dangerous than food from China.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,234
    Quote Originally Posted by Texana View Post
    And that is why, my friends, after the age of 50, one should not sunbathe. Divine intervention.

    Seriously, I'm beginning to think that sting rays are more dangerous than food from China.
    Ohhhhh that's poopy

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    24,159
    Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom View Post
    Wow - that's quite a way to go. This is normal behavior for these rays - but, like you say, it is rare for anyone to get harmed.
    Steve Irwin was killed by a stingray.
    This is the year to locate Mark Dribin http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ht=Mark+Dribin NamUs MP#876 and Ilene Misheloff http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...lene+Misheloff NamUs MP#6410 and bring them home to their families!

    Parents watch your children. Free-range parenting leads to more child victims.

    Cruelty to humans begins with cruelty to animals.

    I believe in closure, not forgiveness. I'm also unapologetically judgemental.

    JeSuisJuif
    JeSuisCharlie


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    9,705
    Quote Originally Posted by LinasK View Post
    Steve Irwin was killed by a stingray.
    Yes, he was but it was a different type and it was really umm like.. his own fault ..
    The Sting ray did not attack him (as I have heard some do in australia)
    In steve's case He just spooked a sting ray .. wrong place, wrong time

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    13,720
    Quote Originally Posted by Amraann View Post
    Yes, he was but it was a different type and it was really umm like.. his own fault ..
    The Sting ray did not attack him (as I have heard some do in australia)
    In steve's case He just spooked a sting ray .. wrong place, wrong time
    .....Our rays are the same as yours Am .....they dont attack and Steves death was a freak accident like the poor lady in this story...we have enough tourist deterring bities down here already without adding the stingo to the list

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. CANADA Canada - Basil Borutski kills three women, how many others?
    By matou in forum Serial Killers
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 11-20-2017, 12:08 PM
  2. IVORY COAST - Tank fire kills women protesters
    By belimom in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-05-2011, 07:20 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-15-2005, 02:30 PM