1052 users online (209 members and 843 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

OH - Bertha Marie Tidd Newell, 40, Zanesville, 13 July 1948

Bertha Marie Tidd Newell
    Missing since July 13, 1948 from Zanesville, Ohio.
    Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: September 26, 1907
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 40 years old
    Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'8 - 5'10, 125 - 145 lbs.
    Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Dark brown hair; dark brown eyes.
    Marks, Scars: Scar on head just behind crown
    Clothing: She was last seen wearing a brown tweed dress and high heels
    AKA: Bertha Marie Tidd, Marie Newell; Marie Tidd
    Medical Conditions: She had some mental health issues before her disappearance and stayed in an Ohio state mental hospital for a brief period.

Circumstances of Disappearance

On July 13, 1948 Newell told her family she was going to the grocery store. She never returned and has never been seen again. She didn't take her purse nor any other personal belongings.

After her disappearance, there were numerous stories circulating; That she ran away to join a travelling circus, that her husband may have murdered her and a possibility she was in a nursing home in Woodfield. None of these were substantiated.

In 1956, there was a report that she had been seen in a town north of Zanesville. After some investigation, the police reached a dead-end. There has been no real leads since and Newell is no longer on file with the Zanesville Police Department.
    Newell had given birth to 10 children.

Investigators
    If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Dorothy Daugherty

E-Mail: daughertydm@hotmail.com

Source:
    The Doe Network: Case File 1119DFOH

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1119dfoh.html

Southwestern Maine is home but I'm not there nearly often enough
    I find the rumor about a nursing home interesting. Was Newell known to have mental health issues (depression, etc.)?

Bertha Marie Tidd Newell has been missing since July 1948 from Zanesville, Ohio born Sept,26 1907 in Moundsville, W/Va mother was Jenny Blanche Gessel father was Harry A Tidd she married Ernest R Newell in Zanesville, Ohio in 1926-27 sure would like any information any-one may have on her also she may have been travling with a carnival worker?????
    http://genforum.genealogy.com/tidd/messages/224.html

a little background info here

Bumping case up. Bertha would be 103 years old now.

I wonder who raised her children after went missing?

So she left and didn't take her purse (which I assume had her money in it) when heading to the store? Sounds planned perhaps, whether it was premeditated or planned on the fly. The first post commented that she had mental health issues. I wonder what exactly those were and if they ever caused her to act out of character or oddly in the past?

I also wonder if she did go elsewhere due to her mental condition, if maybe she met with foul play or misadventure? It sounds to me like leaving her purse indicated plans other than going to shop (unless that was a normal habit for her?).

She had 10 children? Are any of them actively looking for answers on this? Very little information. Seems like she just vanished and everyone was ok with it.
    www.petfinder.com Don't shop...adopt.

Quote Originally Posted by iowalovescaylee View Post
    She had 10 children? Are any of them actively looking for answers on this? Very little information. Seems like she just vanished and everyone was ok with it.
    If she was suffering from mental illness, then there might have been silence from the family because of the stigma of mental illness during those days. Does anyone know if her local grocery store had a credit policy (ie. get the groceries and tell the grocer to put it on the account, bill comes later)? This is the only reason I could imagine someone would go to the store without their purse. Otherwise, I agree with everyone else-she planned to leave and not come back.

I have read in some of these other threads from this era that there was a white slavery ring operating in OH and PA during these years. I wonder if that was a possibility? I sure hope not, but when I saw her location, it was the first thing that came to mind.
    Do you have language questions or letters/documents that you'd like to have examined in order to determine the language background of the writer? I can help!

Quote Originally Posted by iowalovescaylee View Post
    Dorothy who has an email near the bottom of the OP here in this thread is still actively looking for her on the internet. I'm in the process of digging and Dorothy's posts keep popping up and some are dated as of this year.

ETA: I didn't find anything. I did see where one of her daughters has passed away within that last decade.
    Last edited by Kat; 11-24-2011 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    Dorothy who has an email near the bottom of the OP here in this thread is still actively looking for her on the internet. I'm in the process of digging and Dorothy's posts keep popping up and some are dated as of this year.

ETA: I didn't find anything. I did see where one of her daughters has passed away within that last decade.
    Kat, any progress since you last posted? Just curious!

Bumping case up.

It seems the granddaughter was still looking as of 2003 and may have found a possibly other last name for Bertha - HAEFT.

Does anyone know the names of the sons of Bertha? I do not have ancestry access right now, so am having a hard time. There is an obit for Bertha Haeft here:
    https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...,5603320&hl=en
    that lists some sons names, but those could also be the names of her husband's children.

ETA: - I believe I found this Clarence and Bertha in the 1940 census, and therefor can't be her since she was missing in 1948! :/
    Last edited by MrsTigglesworth; 04-30-2016 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by marie-chantal View Post
    I have read in some of these other threads from this era that there was a white slavery ring operating in OH and PA during these years. I wonder if that was a possibility? I sure hope not, but when I saw her location, it was the first thing that came to mind.
    I would be very surprised if a 40 year old woman, with a body that had borne 10 kids, would be of any interest whatsoever to a white slavery ring, even if they existed. And I'm not convinced of that.

There was an unknown, murdered lady found on Shaw Island (near West Pittsburgh, PA) on May 18, 1952. This is 156 miles from Zanesville.

She was white, 40-45 years old. I know of this case only because it was briefly mentioned in Jeffrey Jones' self-published book "The Butchered."

I wonder if she was ever compared to Newall? BTW, Dorothy Daugherty's email appears to be defunct.

I wonder what kind of mental problems she had. A woman in the 40ies, she could just have cramps and get the label mental health issues.
    I liked it. I was good at it. It made me feel alive.

searchingforanna.net & searchingforanna.info
    Anna Christian Waters' new websites.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast