1295 users online (244 members and 1051 guests)  

Websleuths News

CA - Jana Carpenter-Koklich, 41, Lakewood, 17 Aug 2001 *B. Koklich guilty*

This woman's murder echos of Scott and Laci: their marriage/life/family.. be sure to read it the full article at the link

Bottom Line? Husbands murder wives.

~~~~~~

NORWALK - A successful real-estate agent was sentenced to 15 years to life in prison Friday for killing his wife.

Despite repeated claims of his innocence, Koklich was convicted last October of killing Jana Carpenter Koklich, the daughter of Paul Carpenter, whose dying wish was that his son-in-law be charged with murder.

Jana's body still has not been found, and prosecutors tried the unusual case without a body, murder weapon or motive facts that now form the basis of Koklich's appeal.

I lost my only child when she was in the prime of her life,' said Janie Carpenter, Jana's mother, reading from a prepared statement. "There is a permanent hole in my heart. It will be there for the rest of my life.'

Janie Carpenter told the judge how much her daughter had loved Bruce Koklich, and how her heart would have broken if she had known about Bruce's ill intentions toward her.

"Before she died,' Carpenter said, "did she realize that her husband was committing the ultimate betrayal?'

Janie Carpenter was one of many friends and relatives who initially came to Koklich's aid when he reported his wife missing in August 2001. At the time, the couple ran a Long Beach real-estate business together, and had not displayed any outward signs of strain in their marriage, many said.

But, over time, Koklich's previous infidelity came to light, as did evidence that he had brought his 18-year-old niece to Lakewood to have sex with him just three weeks after his wife disappeared.

I didn't want to believe at first that the defendant had anything to do with (my daughter's) disappearance,' Carpenter said. "But it soon became apparent that he was responsible.'

One person who suspected Bruce Koklich all along was Jana's father, who had divorced Janie Carpenter and retired from politics years ago. Suffering from colon cancer at the time, Paul Carpenter urged authorities to arrest his son-in-law, which they eventually did. Morrow promised Paul Carpenter that she would see the case until the end.

Prosecutors allege that Koklich killed his wife during the early morning hours of Aug. 18, 2001, after she returned from a concert to their Lakewood Country Club home. She missed several appointments that morning despite being known as a meticulous appointment- keeper and failed to return several concerned phone calls over the weekend.

Koklich, who claimed he and his wife spent a quiet weekend at home, reported her missing the following Monday morning after she failed to turn up to work. Jana's Nissan Pathfinder, whose cargo hold was stained with her blood, was later found in a high-crime area of Signal Hill ; prosecutors contend that Koklich planted it there.

Read the full article Here

Quote Originally Posted by Casshew
    This woman's murder echos of Scott and Laci: their marriage/life/family.. be sure to read it the full article at the link

~~~~~~

EDITED TO REMOVE QUOTATION, TO SAVE SPACE...

Hi Cass

That is unbelievable!! I think that, much more than "shades" of Scott, it's almost like a blueprint!! I'll go read the full article now, but just a question: when did Koklich commit the murder? I'm just wondering whether SP may have used it for inspiration. This is truly eerie - twilight zone stuff!

Everyone, please read the article at the link Cass has posted; that DOES sound like Scott Peterson!! Read this snip from the article:
    --------------------------------
    Koklich appeared largely unemotional throughout Friday's hearing, even when his wife's mother and two of her close friends read from passion-filled statements, at times addressing the defendant directly.

"I lost my only child when she was in the prime of her life,' said Janie Carpenter, Jana's mother, reading from a prepared statement. "There is a permanent hole in my heart. It will be there for the rest of my life.'
    ---------------------------------
    Cockiness throughout the trial; joking with his attorneys; etc. Something is VERY wrong with people like this.

Great find Cass, sorta dejavue isn't it. All I could think when I was reading it was OMG there is two of them.
    IMHO

~~~~~~
    this is so good- i am glad he was charged and convicted- and it is going to happen to ISP as well

I edited mine to - save space as well.

~~~~~~

OMG!! Made me wonder if this 'husband' is not some long-forgotten half-brother of Scott! I highlighted your comment above, Cass! This is no addiction and I hope the prosecution PLAY AND PREY on that ridiculous self-styled term. It's a cold-blooded, lethal murder-phenomenon growing amid a particularly lethal strain of psychopaths!

That's exactly what it is! To think people actually have the gaul to preach to us that it's an understandable problem their 'kid' has in keeping his apendage in check.

Balderdash.

Quote Originally Posted by shdbepaintin
    Great find Cass, sorta dejavue isn't it. All I could think when I was reading it was OMG there is two of them.
    Hi there.. yes OMG the whole time I was reading it - was so easy to insert Laci's name, scott's name, Sharon or dennis ~ the story fit, the same words, emotions... hopefully the same result - but 15 years is tooooo light!

His cocky behavior seems just like Scott.

Only difference here is that evidently there was even less evidence and no body, yet he was convicted. He had a mistress shortly after the death, but did he have one during the time of the murder? Also, I guess she wasn't pregnant.

The amazing things is how these women seem to be adoring wives, who overlook any flaws in their husbands. (Remember how the Yoga instructor said Laci didn't participate in any husband-bashing or joking around with the others in class?)

This is absolutely unbelievable!

Can you believe this? I can't! It's like a mirror image! It's so hard to imagine that this case is NOT the Laci case as you're reading it. I wonder if Scott had ever heard of it.....what a coincidence!

And yes....I too kept thinking...there can't be two of him!

Lord, what a terrible shame that animals like that are allowed to live, and the good are taken....don't understand it.

One important fact

is that Korlich's first trial resulted in a hung jury. Fortunately the La County DA went for another trial.

I read in the LA Times that her parents and friends wanted him to reveal where the body is. But he didn't. Her mother hopes he will in time. She mentioned maybe when he was applying for parole.

So he's eligible for parole eventually. He wasn't given a lwop sentence.

There's more than two of them, unfortunately.

On August 6, 2012, mother of two Tamala Wells drove away from her home in Detroit. She has not been seen or heard from since she made her last phone call at 11:45 pm. Her car was recovered three days later, 20 minutes away from her home. Friends and family members are baffled.

Consider featuring a missing person in your signature - a simple act that could get the right pair of eyes on the case.