: September 20, 1994 from Los Angeles, California
Classification
: Endangered Missing
Date Of Birth
: February 16, 1988
Height and Weight
: 3'6, 70 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics
: Hispanic male. Brown hair, brown eyes.

Details of Disappearance

Perez was last seen in Los Angeles, California on September 20, 1994. He was with his mother, Cecilia Newball, at the time. Neither Newball nor Perez has been seen again. They took no personal belongings, not even clothes or a toothbrush or Newball's wedding ring. She left a goodbye card for her husband.

Newball's husband received a typewritten letter after her and Perez's disappearance, signed with her name. The letter stated that Newball had taken up with another man and she and Perez were moving to Honduras with him. Newball and her husband had been married one year prior to her disappearance. Her husband and friends say there were no problems in the marriage and they do not believe she would leave without warning. There has been no communication from Newball and Perez since the letter.

Foul play is suspected in Newball and Perez's cases. They lived in an apartment on Lassen Street in Los Angeles in 1994.

Investigating Agency
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Los Angeles County Sheriff's Office
323-890-5500

Charley Project
NCMEC
NamUs

The Doe Network:
Case File 1118DFCA

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1118dfca.html

Cecilia Elizabeth Newball
Missing since September 20, 1994 from Los Angeles, California.
Classification: Endangered Missing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics
•Date Of Birth: November 20, 1962
•Age at Time of Disappearance: 31 years old
•Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 4'11-5'0" (152 cm); 94 lbs (43 kg)
•Distinguishing Characteristics: Hispanic female. Brown/black hair; brown eyes.
•Medical Conditions: She was 8-months pregnant at the time
•AKA: Cecilia Elizabeth Amaya
•Dentals: Not available

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Circumstances of Disappearance
Newball was last seen in the company of her son Rene Perez on September 20, 1994 in Los Angeles, CA.
Her husband last saw her at home, writing thank you notes for gifts from her baby shower.
When her husband came home from work, he noticed that Cecilia's car was parked on the street, instead of in the building's secured lot. He rushed into their apartment in search of his wife and stepson. Inside, there were no signs of a break-in or struggle, but there were no signs of Cecilia and Rene either.
In the Jeep, the husband found a generic store-bought goodbye card. It was signed simply, "Cecilia." Cecilia's wedding and engagement rings had been left on the passenger seat. Cecilia did not take a change of clothes for herself or her son, nor her son's eyeglasses.
Three days later, the husband received a letter postmarked in nearby Van Nuys, California. Inside the envelope was a card identical to the one found in Cecilia's car. There was also a typewritten note from Cecilia explaining that she had gone to Honduras with another man, a doctor named Arturo. Police do not believe the note was from Cecilia.
Cecilia was born in El Salvador. She was on maternity leave from her job as a customer service representative at a nearby company.
Foul play is suspected.

Investigators

Los Angeles County Sheriffs Department
323-526-5541
Email

Agency Case Number:

NCMEC #: NCMC860426

NCIC Number: M-070116903
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
National Center for Missing & Exploited Children
CA DOJ
Unsolved Mysteries

The Doe Network:
Case File 968DMCA

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/968dmca.html

Rene Perez Jr.
Missing since September 20, 1994 from Los Angeles, California.
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
•Date Of Birth: February 16, 1988
•Age at Time of Disappearance: 6 years old
•Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 3'6" (107 cm); 70 lbs (32 kg)
•Distinguishing Characteristics: White/Hispanic male. Brown hair; brown eyes. His top teeth are missing.
•Dentals: Not available

Circumstances of Disappearance
Perez was last seen in the company of his mother Cecilia Newball on September 20, 1994 in Los Angeles, CA. It is feared they have become victims of foul play.

Investigators

Los Angeles County Sheriffs Department
323-526-5541
Email
Agency Case Number:

NCMEC #: NCMC860426

NCIC Number: M-590114543
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
National Center for Missing & Exploited Children
CA DOJ
Unsolved Mysteries
NamUs

Cecilia, Rene and her unborn child have been missing for almost 16 years. Come home soon.

Attachments

• Cecilia Elizabeth Newball.bmp
    56.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Rene Perez Jr..bmp
    45.2 KB · Views: 19
I find the wording strange from the Doenetwork page where it says "he noticed that Cecilia's car was parked on the street, instead of in the building's secured lot. He rushed into their apartment in search of his wife and stepson."

Why would he rush in?

I get that it was unusual, but what about that instance would make him assume that anything was wrong? Was this totally out of character for her?

I just saw this case on an episode of Unsolved Mysteries. Very interesting.

Apparently Cecilia received two strange phone calls prior to her disappearance. One was from a woman claiming to have a video of her husband kissing another woman. The next phone call was shortly before Cecilia's disappearance - an apparent co-worker of her husband phoned to say they were organising a baby shower for him, and that she wanted to meet with Cecilia so she could pick out a surprise piece of baby furniture. The co-worker asked Cecilia to keep the meeting a secret as the baby shower was a surprise. It turned out that there was no baby shower, and the co-worker denied calling Cecilia. The date Cecilia was going to meet this unknown person was the day she disappeared.

Although it might be easy to assume the husband was involved, I am really wondering about these phone calls. One thought was something like baby snatching. I know, sounds very extreme, but it has happened. And the fact that she disappeared very close to her due date suggests this could be possible.

Anyone know any more on this case?

Hubby was apparently having an affair..
I DON'T GET IT!!! This case (and others like it) infuriate me! A woman, who is 9 months pregnant, disappears with her 6 year old under suspicious circumstances; what little evidence LE has points directly towards HUBBY! Looks like he's breezed through almost 20 years of life without batting one single eyelash over Cecilia, Rene, or his UNBORN CHILD.
Sick and sad..

http://coldcaseusa.blogspot.com/2011/10/hubby-eyed-in-1994-cecilia-newball.html

:bump: for Ceclia, her baby, and little Rene. :beats:

Investigators believe Alfredo knows more about his wife and stepson's disappearances than he's disclosed, but he maintains his innocence and says he thinks they left him voluntarily.

Adding an old article to the thread:

Police Fear Worst in Pair's Disappearance
September 29, 1994|TIMOTHY WILLIAMS | TIMES STAFF WRITER

Snipped:

As he left, Cecilia, who was on maternity leave from her job as a customer service representative at a nearby company, was writing thank-you notes for gifts the couple had received at a surprise wedding shower two days earlier, on the first anniversary of their wedding.

Newball remembers kissing her goodby, and coming back and kissing her again. He doesn't remember why.

http://articles.latimes.com/1994-09-29/local/me-44410_1_police-fear

I just saw the UM episode today and although the husband did look somewhat suspicious, i think the she disappeared due to those phone calls she received. I think some mysterious woman who knew them both had something to do with it and probably had accomplices. She and others probably took Cecilia by surprised and stole her baby and either killed Cecilia and her son or took Rene instead.

Alerted on the discussion thread with the mother for guidance.

6/26/2015
Rene Perez missing from Chatsworth, CA, has been restricted. Please discontinue dissemination of this poster.
Please remove and discard any posters on this case that you have placed in public view.
We greatly appreciate your part in our efforts to reunite families.
Thank you for your support.

The National Center for Missing & Exploited Children
www.missingkids.com

I know there is a long distance involved, but I am wondering if the bones of a woman and child found in a planter in Sand Francisco could have anything to do with this case?

I did some reading on another forum on this, and another possibility was brought up. Could this have been a fetal abduction? I know we would be talking major psycho here, but anyone crazy enough to do a fetal abduction probably wouldn't be bothered much killing a six year old.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back