GUILTY TX - Girl, 15, charged in death of newborn, Port Neches, 27 Nov 2003

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
PORT NECHES -- A manslaughter charge filed against a 16-year-old girl accused of smothering her newborn baby was changed Friday to capital murder, an investigator with the Jefferson County district attorney's office said.

Prosecutors filed the new charge because they believe she intentionally killed the infant after giving birth at home, investigator Steve Thrower said. Police found the deceased infant on Thanksgiving night in a zippered duffel bag in the girl's bedroom.

Prosecutors plan to ask a family court judge for permission to try the girl as an adult, Thrower said. Because of her age, the girl would face a mandatory life sentence if she were convicted as an adult of capital murder.

The girl's 19-year-old brother fathered the baby and was charged Friday with prohibited sexual conduct, Thrower said. He was free on $8,000 bond and has not yet received a court-appointed attorney.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/metropolitan/2470013

What a truly sad situation. I can't even imagine how the parents must feel.

SO how is the "brother" not implicated in this? I'm sure he would want to cover his crimes completely.

Strange. If he is 19, why didn't he make tracks? What was he doing? Waiting around for the cops to show up? Or has it been going on so long that he didn't think anything was wrong?

I have to admit, I'm having a bit of trouble with the capital murder charge. There must be more to this, because if the siblings were having sex, they were pretty darned clueless. I'd need to see that she really understood what the heck she was doing.

If the girl is not mentally handicapped, then I agree with the murder charge. I'm sick and tired of reading stories about these girls who get in this kind of trouble and feel that their only way out is to kill an innocent baby. And, I almost bet that the brother had a big hand in the killing of that baby.

There has always been something about stories like this that I don't understand......I have been pregnant 4 times and had 4 babies. How in the world do these girls hide their pregnancies from EVERYONE? I know that there is an intense fear that their parent's won't deal with the pregnancy well or that they won't love the girl anymore, but why isn't the fear of going to jail for murder an even more intense fear? :confused:

d

mommyd said:
If the girl is not mentally handicapped, then I agree with the murder charge. I'm sick and tired of reading stories about these girls who get in this kind of trouble and feel that their only way out is to kill an innocent baby. And, I almost bet that the brother had a big hand in the killing of that baby.

There has always been something about stories like this that I don't understand......I have been pregnant 4 times and had 4 babies. How in the world do these girls hide their pregnancies from EVERYONE? I know that there is an intense fear that their parent's won't deal with the pregnancy well or that they won't love the girl anymore, but why isn't the fear of going to jail for murder an even more intense fear? :confused:

d

I think sometimes it is easier for parents to ignore the obvious because they would not have to deal with the truth. My Dad did this when I was young. I remember one time he went out of town I had a party and when he came back all of his beer was gone. I told him I sold it to the neighbors for money to buy donuts. He believed me. Other than that they either wear huge clothes or are very overweight to begin with.

Several points.
Why weren't they using condoms?
Certainly she should have insisted and he knew what the law would do to him if he got her pregnant.
Now as to the murder, I always wonder if it was premeditated or what?
Failure to obtain prenatal counseling, get baby clothes and baby bottles etc. would indicate a certain intent. Or atleast a certain denial.
Anyone think there are mental problems here? After all he signed a statement, so he must surely be a fool. He stuck around waiting for the inevitable, so he must not be bright.
Something is wrong here.
Think what would have been better for all concerned: the parents buy them several boxes of condoms. No murder, no jail time, no costly trials. But I still wonder why that 15 year old girl was not insisting her brother use a condom. Was she stupid or what? I think there may be mental problems and that all the newspapers are reporting is the chronological ages.

Maybe the parents are umm..related as well. How does the brother get off from this? I'm sure he knew about the baby, especially if he was having sex with the girl.

From August 2007:

http://www.tdcaa.com/node/555

When a Port Neches teen was convicted of capital murder in 2004 for killing her newborn, she began her 13-year sentence in Texas Youth Commission custody...

The girl, a victim of long-term sexual abuse by a relative, had hidden her pregnancy from her family.

Cannot find whatever happened to him.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back