Anderson, SC Man Shows Others His Definition of Success

Pandora

Reaction score
Someone orders a sandwich at the Sonic Drive-in on the S.C. 28 Bypass. Inside, a young man waits to hand that person a bag through the window. When the cars pulls up, the driver is someone the worker knows.

A few minutes later, the worker rushes to the table where his mother and father sit.

“Woo-hoo! I just made a $10 tip,” he shouts, jumping up in the air with that money held tightly in his hands over his head.

This is 22-year-old Devin Buccino’s joy. He has a job. He is earning money. And he has a chance to spend time with his friends.

It’s that simple for Devin.

That’s the key, though. For Devin, it’s not that simple.

He has Fragile X Syndrome, a genetic disorder that has affected his mental and physical development. When he was 7, his parents, Karen and James Buccino, acted on the troubling truth: Devin wasn’t developing like other children his age. They took him to a doctor.

That was in the early ’90s. Fragile X still was a mystery to many doctors.

“They said Devin needed to be institutionalized,” Ms. Buccino said. “We thought, ‘Why now?’ Devin has been with us for seven years, and we’ve been working with him just fine. My heart didn’t feel right. We knew that wasn’t what he needed.”

Devin didn’t go anywhere.

More at link:
http://www.andersonindependent-mail...eller-anderson-man-shows-others-his-definiti/

What a heartwarming story. People with special needs children can truly appreciate how much it would mean to see their children excited over working and doing something meaningful to them. I applaud his parents!

YEA! Thanks for posting this. Next time I go through Anderson I will stop by and hopefully get to see Devin and give him a tip. :clap:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back