Complaint Filed With McDonald's Claiming Clerk Screamed, Ran From "Little Person"

White Rain

Reaction score
A little person picking up some fast food in a South Carolina McDonald’s has filed a complaint saying his server shrieked and ran away at the sight of him.
Ethan Wade, who suffers from a form of dwarfism, retained a lawyer after claiming the clerk at the Greenville County restaurant threw up her hands, started screaming and ran away upon seeing him, WYFF4.com reports.
The shift manager and store manager apologized after the incident, Wade told WYFF4.com said.
An employee at the franchise office explained that the employee had a fear of little people, Wade told the station.
"The employee had stated to her, 'Imagine if you saw a snake or a spider, how would you respond?' And that employee said she understood that. And I said, 'That's unbelievable. I am a human being,'" Wade said.
"How could you compare the fear of a snake and spider to a human being? That makes no sense to me," he continued. "I've seen kids kind of react like that. Understandable. But grown adults to act like that? That's just not acceptable." more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,341949,00.html

a phobia is a unreasonable fear. what exactly is the owner to do? fire the employee then be sued for that? they said they are sorry. it is not a store policy. maybe we should force the story to pay for therapy for the employee.

I will never forget the first time I saw a person with the condition called Albanism, or Albinos.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albinism

I was so freaked out, this person, a stranger, haunted me and gave me nightmares for weeks.
I am not speaking ill of anyone, as I hate people with any kind of health problem to be treated badly, or stared at rudely or anything like that.
BUT in the end, people cannot help what they are afraid of. There are so many different phobias, it would be impossible to name them all...
If I saw an Albino at this time I have no doubt that I could contain myself, and not run and scream, but maybe other people can't.
I feel very sorry for this little person that was obviously hurt and embarrassed, but I can't really fault McD's or this clerk.

Was he wearing a red raincoat...?
OK as horrible as this story is...that was funny.

As far as what happened tho...the person should have been upfront about their fear of little people when he/she was hired to work with the public. The chances were very good they were going to come into contact with a little person in their job capacity. If you have a phobia of clowns, you do not go to work for a circus.

McD's customers come from all walks of life, all ages, and it should be expected people with disabilities, special needs, and a host of other things will walk in the door. Yes, McD's Manager should fire the worker because they cannot handle interaction with John Q. Public in a manner which is acceptable. Screaming in horror and running away is a direct violation of policy in any business serving the public unless there is a gun pointed at you! You just simply don't do it!!

I think the little person involved should be aptly compensated for his embarrassment and the mental anguish. He did nothing wrong and was treated horribly in front of the entire staff plus other customers. Now, he is in the media and it is still ongoing. I feel for the little fella. :(

As far as what happened tho...the person should have been upfront about their fear of little people when he/she was hired to work with the public. The chances were very good they were going to come into contact with a little person in their job capacity. If you have a phobia of clowns, you do not go to work for a circus.

McD's customers come from all walks of life, all ages, and it should be expected people with disabilities, special needs, and a host of other things will walk in the door. Yes, McD's Manager should fire the worker because they cannot handle interaction with John Q. Public in a manner which is acceptable. Screaming in horror and running away is a direct violation of policy in any business serving the public unless there is a gun pointed at you! You just simply don't do it!!

I think the little person involved should be aptly compensated for his embarrassment and the mental anguish. He did nothing wrong and was treated horribly in front of the entire staff plus other customers. Now, he is in the media and it is still ongoing. I feel for the little fella. :(

But SS, there is NOT a space on an application thats says to list phobias/fears whatever!
So how WOULD McD's EVER know?
Does ANY job ask what phobias ANYONE MUST have?
Roaches, rats, snakes, etc????
No....SO why should a phobia against a "little person" be any different?
I agree that a "little person" IS A PERSON. not a rat, roach, etc...We just don't tend to think that a person could have a "phobia," no matter what against anyone....or any person...
I feel bad for this "little person" and the shame he may have endured, but I do NOT blame the clerk at all...or McD's.

the problem is that a phobia is a medical condition that can be treated with therapy and medication. you can not fire someone for a medical condition.

Oh great, the prices of my Big Mac's will be going up again. Even though I too feel for the litte guy. You know who really pays for this in the end.

Being the parent of an autistic child I've had my share of rudenesss from employees and customers of the few places we've tried to eat at. Usually after I try and explain the situation we are treated with kindness and I've never once thought about suing anyone.

OT: SS clear your Inbox

I dont think she would have made a scene if she actually wasnt scared. I know someone who has a fear of the Easter bunny and she literally cried and screamed and ran. They cannot help it.

I just don't see where MacDonald's should be held liable. How is this the franchise's fault?

Now as to the employees behavior ... completely unacceptable and outrageous.

That pisses me off. Seriously. Maybe the McDonald's employee should watch Little People Big World.
Why would anyone run and scream?
Would she have done that if a blind person came in?
What about someone in a wheel chair?

I think the main office excuse of the clerk having a fear of little people is a bunch of baloney to try and avoid a lawsuit. She probably has some type of histrionics to lots of things and was just started by the dwarf.

The first thing I thought was she had a strange phobia. I can buy that, there is a phobia for everything. I don't know much about them, I am assuming it is a mental illness so it should be treated that way.

I agree with you. This worker should never have applied for a job working with the public knowing she has this phobia.

This man probably feels somewhat uncomfortable anyway and deals with it the best he can, then to have this happen to him must be just awful. I feel really bad for him. This will probably negatively affect him the rest of his life.

Oh great, the prices of my Big Mac's will be going up again. Even though I too feel for the litte guy. You know who really pays for this in the end.

Being the parent of an autistic child I've had my share of rudenesss from employees and customers of the few places we've tried to eat at. Usually after I try and explain the situation we are treated with kindness and I've never once thought about suing anyone.
You haven't gotten your button yet?! It saves us a lot of explaining. It is large and states clearly: I am not misbehaving I have Autism. Please be understanding. (Sometimes, I would like to put it on his brother when he is acting out in a store so people don't stare. LOL)

I just don't see where MacDonald's should be held liable. How is this the franchise's fault?

Now as to the employees behavior ... completely unacceptable and outrageous.
McDonalds has an image to uphold. It isn't enough for them to say from a corporate level, "Sorry, Buddy! We know you only came in for a burger, but instead you were treated with a total disregard for your feelings which stripped you of your dignity and left you feeling alienated, embarrassed, and deeply traumatized. Come again, Little Fella...the next happy meal is on the house!"

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back