821 users online (131 members and 690 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

TX - Tom Hickman, 55, Abilene, 13 March 2008

Tom Hickman was more than just a businessman. He was a family man, with a passion for giving to others. Please read the following links. He was in Abilene, but somehow wound up dead with a bullet, in New Mexico. This murder remains unsolved.

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dw...n.b73e35a.html

http://www.ocala.com/article/2008032...42/1001/NEWS01

Why do all the best people seem to be taken from us too soon??

Many, many prayers to Lisa and Matt. God bless them. May this killer be brought to justice quickly.

My question: who had the stones to 'kidnap' a man who was a solid 6'6"? That makes me think more than one person. One person with a gun could do it, but they'd have to be a pretty confident criminal in general, or the same size. A man that big could do some damage even if the killer got off a shot.

The articles say that Mr. Hickman helped so many homeless and down on their luck people over the years. I wonder if he was attempting to help someone who only had evil in mind. What a shame.

This has been ruled a suicide

snip

"Thomas Hickman drove through New Mexico, police say, until his Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo ran out of gas. Then the 55-year-old North Richland Hills man walked into a field, tied helium balloons to a gun, covered his mouth with duct tape, and shot himself in the back of the head, according to New Mexico State Police"

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...n.3d76e7d.html

Wow, I am at a total loss on this. How very very strange. The only thing I can think of is that his life insurance wouldn't pay out for a suicide?

Quote Originally Posted by TCMom View Post

snip

"Thomas Hickman drove through New Mexico, police say, until his Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo ran out of gas. Then the 55-year-old North Richland Hills man walked into a field, tied helium balloons to a gun, covered his mouth with duct tape, and shot himself in the back of the head, according to New Mexico State Police"

WOW! Thst seems just way to strange!

Sly

Quote Originally Posted by TCMom View Post

snip

He must have watched the CSI show that used this same scenario.

I live in Abilene, Texas, where he had his last meeting. I called my H at work to ask him about it, and it turns out he knew this was how he did it months ago!

It's no wonder I have to do Websleuths to get my true-crime fix...Hubby tells me nothing! He said they don't like to let the media know when someone copies CSI. Sounds like a stupid excuse to me.

Abilene has no real investigative journalists, IMO. They all just regurgitate what little the police put in a press release. Took a reporter from Dallas to break the story, months later.

So sad for Mr. Hickman's family. He seems to have tried very hard to handle the stresses of his life in the best way possible, before he finally gave up. IMO, he did it this way to prevent family members from having to discover his body. He didn't want them to know how much he was suffering.

Susan

So sad. The irony is that his sick wife appears to still be alive. I'm sorry, but he took the coward's way out, IMO. His wife and son are left behind to feel anger, guilt, shame, sadness, etc. It's not right. Plus, the way that he did it is despicable, IMO. Did he just want his son and his wife to think that he disappeared, leaving them to wander and to search for him for the rest of their lives? It's too bad that he didn't just take a less stressful job if he couldn't handle the one that he had.
    Last edited by nanandjim; 07-17-2008 at 10:03 AM.

Poor man. I'm sorry but I don't understand about the helium balloons, what their purpose was.

As far as insurance it depends on how long you have had the policy.

nanandjim, I understand what you are saying but in some ways I don't agree with you. My father committed suicide eleven years ago. He didn't see it as the coward's way out and neither do I. I see it as someone that was so desperate for the pain to end that he felt it was the only way out. Some people who committ suicide think that their families are better off without them. So they think they're doing them a favor.

I have felt anger, some guilt (but I understand that in some instances there is absolutely nothing you can do) but never shame. My dad was mentally ill. There's no shame in that. It's an illness just like any physical illness, just a little more misunderstood.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzybeth View Post
    Poor man. I'm sorry but I don't understand about the helium balloons, what their purpose was.

As far as insurance it depends on how long you have had the policy.
    He thought the baloons would carry the gun far away, so it would appear that someone else murdered him and took the gun with them.

Seems like he should have realized that the kick of the gun being fired would keep the baloons from going straight up and away. I'll bet some of them popped with the concussion from the blast.

I guess it would be tacky to ask MythBusters to check it out. I think it might work with more heavy-duty baloons attached by a sturdy, long cord.

Susan

Quote Originally Posted by lizzybeth View Post
    nanandjim, I understand what you are saying but in some ways I don't agree with you. My father committed suicide eleven years ago. He didn't see it as the coward's way out and neither do I. I see it as someone that was so desperate for the pain to end that he felt it was the only way out. Some people who committ suicide think that their families are better off without them. So they think they're doing them a favor.

I have felt anger, some guilt (but I understand that in some instances there is absolutely nothing you can do) but never shame. My dad was mentally ill. There's no shame in that. It's an illness just like any physical illness, just a little more misunderstood.
    Thank you for sharing your personal story w/us, explaining it from a view many of us wouldn't otherwise understand. ((((((((((lizzybeth)))))))))

Thanks for the explanation about the balloons TGIRecovered, and thank you for the hug Christine2448.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast