1030 users online (186 members and 844 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Judge Orders White People Out Of His Court

Why did he feel he couldn't have said this in front of white lawyers? I don't think it gave his speech any more "power."
    Besides, some of the lawyers probably tell these defendants the same thing.

ATLANTA -- Judge Marvin Arrington insists he's not a racist; despite ordering white lawyers out of his courtroom on Thursday.

The Fulton County Superior Court judge said he was just fed up seeing a parade of young black defendants in his courtroom.

"I came out and saw the defendants, about 99.9 percent Afro-Americans, and some point time I excused some of the lawyers, most of them white, and said to the young people in here 'What in the world are you doing with your lives,'" he told WSB-TV Channel 2 reporter JaQuitta Williams.

Arrington said he thought his message might have more power if it was delivered to a blacks-only audience.

"I didn't think about racism or reverse racism, I practiced law for 30 years and 75 percent of my partners were white," he explained.

The judge said the majority of people who appear before him accused of crimes such as murder, rape and robbery are black and he wanted to do something about it, one on one.
    more: http://www.wsbtv.com/news/15735848/detail.html

I think I understand what he was trying to do.
    Reminds me of the BIll Cosby speech years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by JBean View Post

Can you tell me what you thought?
    I just can't see saying what he said in front of whites making a bigger impact than if whites were not there...
    A criminal is a crimial....
    I have been to jail before. If a judge in my case cleared the room of blacks and spoke out the same as this judge did, it would affect me no differently.
    If you wanna straighten up you're going to...no matter what color you are.
    Criminals are just like addicts...they are NOT going to do right until THEY want to, no matter what anyone says.

Quote Originally Posted by JBean View Post
    Me too. I also want to say that I know a good bit about this Judge and have been involved in cases that were tried in front of him. He is a terrific Judge and a good man and I too "get it."

I DON'T "get it."
    Plz Guys ENLIGHTEN me!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by White Rain View Post
    ......just like addicts...they are NOT going to do right until THEY want to, no matter what anyone says.
    Yes, but do addicts do better when learning how to get clean from their own kind (ie "the therapeutic value of one addict helping another) or do they do better learning how to get clean from someone who has never walked one minute in their skins? From my own experience, whenever an Earth person starts talking to me about how I should just say no to drugs, I start looking for the nearest narcotic just to get through their helpful little speech.

This Judge was talk to these young black men from the perspective of someone who had once been a young black man. And that's nothing but a good thing. We learn meaningful life skills from someone if we can first relate to them.

I can understand it, I think. Kind of like a "man to man" type of talk. Honestly, I think all of us do things that can be misconstrued as racist, or sexist, or just plain "wrong" if somebody wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by MissieMt View Post
    I can understand it, I think. Kind of like a "man to man" type of talk. Honestly, I think all of us do things that can be misconstrued as racist, or sexist, or just plain "wrong" if somebody wanted to.
    No doubt about that...
    someone is ALWAYS gonna be offended even me!!!!

Why couldn't the young black rapists and murderers listen with white people in the room? They'll be ganged up into races in prison and have to live amongst white people when and if they get out so what the heck does it matter. Most had principals, teachers, mamas, preachers, etc. over their years. What does some man who makes good money think he can do to change them at the last minute. Also, what does a sexual deviancy and psychopath problem such as rape even have to do with white people being in a court room. The abscence of white people won't change that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by txsvicki View Post
    ....... What does some man who makes good money think he can do to change them at the last minute...
    I think if I sat in Judgment in a courtroom year after year after year and sent people to jail day in and day out and the people I was sending to jail were predominantly and overwhlemingly white women who looked just like me - gosh, I think I might get to the point that one day I'd want to say something to those women who looked just like me - something I felt like might take root more quickly if it was just me and them together.

I feel for Judges. I really do.

Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom View Post
    From my own experience, whenever an Earth person starts talking to me about how I should just say no to drugs, I start looking for the nearest narcotic just to get through their helpful little speech.

WhiteRain, white people in general in America have the money to hire lawyers to plea out and pay a fine and never see a judge. Even though the vast majority of rapists, murderers, child offenders that I see here on Websleuths are WhiteMen. When crime happens to non-white people, by non-white people, it is not even reported in the press. Racism is still a huge problem in American justice. How do you suggest we correct this injustice?
    Last edited by BeeBee; 03-31-2008 at 02:03 AM. Reason: rude and personal

Quote Originally Posted by txsvicki View Post
    Why couldn't the young black rapists and murderers listen with white people in the room?
    Because then he sounds like Uncle Tom? (Black guy, subsumed by the White system.) We're all in this together, but at different times, we group by different characteristics.

I see his point of doing what he did. He wanted to get through to these young blacks as a black himself. I see nothing wrong or racist in what he did. It probably started making him angry to see blacks in his courtroom all the time and he got to the point that he wanted to sound off on it.

I really commend him for getting angry and doing this maybe it might help or it might not but it took guts from him to be so forward and direct. I hope for his sake on what he was trying to do it reached at least one or two of them enough to change their life around for the better and hopefully they can come back to him and give him credit for him doing that and making a difference in their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by White Rain View Post
    Why did he feel he couldn't have said this in front of white lawyers? I don't think it gave his speech any more "power."
    Besides, some of the lawyers probably tell these defendants the same thing.

ATLANTA -- Judge Marvin Arrington insists he's not a racist; despite ordering white lawyers out of his courtroom on Thursday.

The Fulton County Superior Court judge said he was just fed up seeing a parade of young black defendants in his courtroom.

"I came out and saw the defendants, about 99.9 percent Afro-Americans, and some point time I excused some of the lawyers, most of them white, and said to the young people in here 'What in the world are you doing with your lives,'" he told WSB-TV Channel 2 reporter JaQuitta Williams.

Arrington said he thought his message might have more power if it was delivered to a blacks-only audience.

"I didn't think about racism or reverse racism, I practiced law for 30 years and 75 percent of my partners were white," he explained.

The judge said the majority of people who appear before him accused of crimes such as murder, rape and robbery are black and he wanted to do something about it, one on one.
    more: http://www.wsbtv.com/news/15735848/detail.html
    This Judge used the term "Reverse racism"? There's no such thing. You're racist or you are not. It works both ways. If he's considering giving the same speech next week and allowing the white lawyers in the room how's that work? How will that be any different? If this was a Latino Judge ordering everyone out except Latino's or a caucasian Judge ordering everyone out except whites people would be up in arms. What about people of mixed race? Does an attorney of mixed race get to stay or do they have to leave?

Quote Originally Posted by Filly View Post
    This Judge used the term "Reverse racism"? There's no such thing. You're racist or you are not. It works both ways. If he's considering giving the same speech next week and allowing the white lawyers in the room how's that work? How will that be any different? If this was a Latino Judge ordering everyone out except Latino's or a caucasian Judge ordering everyone out except whites people would be up in arms. What about people of mixed race? Does an attorney of mixed race get to stay or do they have to leave?
    i think the only reason he is allowing everyone in next week is to avoid all the boo hoo feelings. sometimes people need to just accept that someone may have done things in a odd way but their heart was in the right place and that matters more than all the PC racism stuff we hear every day. a black man that has a good life spoke to a group of young black men that are on the path to a life of hell. he did it because he wants to turn them around and he has the power because he is a judge to make them listen.

now if we can get a female judge to kick all the men out while in family court to explain to mothers why it is wrong to stay with a man that hurts your kids it will be a good week.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast