Free web version of Photoshop launches

Taximom

Former Member
Reaction score
I've always wanted to play around w/Photoshop but never bought it. Here's an easier (beta) version available to anyone for free!
http://www.11alive.com/tech/article_tech.aspx?storyid=113597
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- The maker of the popular photo-editing software Photoshop on Thursday launched a basic version available for free online.

San Jose, Calif.-based Adobe Systems Inc. says it hopes to boost its name recognition among a new generation of consumers who edit, store and share photos online.

While Photoshop is designed for trained professionals, Adobe says Photoshop Express, which it launched in a "beta" test version, is easier to learn. User comments will be taken into account for future upgrades.

Photoshop Express will be completely Web-based so consumers can use it with any type of computer, operating system and browser. And, once they register, users can get to their accounts from different computers.

and

Adobe says providing Photoshop Express for free is part marketing and part a strategy to create up-sell opportunities. It hopes some customers will move from it to boxed software like its $99 Photoshop Elements or to a subscription-based version of Express that's in the works.

Ron Glaz, a research analyst at IDC, says the move was necessary for Adobe to keep pace. Users are less likely to switch to a software they aren't familiar with, he said. (more info at link)

Photoshop Express

San Jose, Calif.-based Adobe Systems Inc. says it hopes to boost its name recognition among a new generation of consumers who edit, store and share photos online.

I think Photoshop's name recognition among anyone regardless of age is alive and well: due to its outrageous retail price it's one of the most pirated software in the world.

Don't use it just yet.

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9906064-7.html

Adobe does not claim ownership of Your Content. However, with respect to Your Content that you submit or make available for inclusion on publicly accessible areas of the Services, you grant Adobe a worldwide, royalty-free, nonexclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, and fully sublicensable license to use, distribute, derive revenue or other remuneration from, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, publicly perform and publicly display such Content and to incorporate such Content into other Materials or works in any format or medium now known or later developed.

What till they either rewrite or remove this

I'm a Photoshop user and I highly recommend Gimp for those that don't want to fork over the $700 to buy Photoshop... I personally know quite a few working photographers that use it in place of Photoshop.

I'm a Photoshop user and I highly recommend Gimp for those that don't want to fork over the $700 to buy Photoshop... I personally know quite a few working photographers that use it in place of Photoshop.

Well under Adobe's TOS for the freebie version of Photoshop, if push came to shove, I'd load gimp and give it a whirl. I was looking at the features and it has a lot of power.

If you get a chance report back or pm me on how you like GIMP, I'm curious.

Also do you or have you used GIMP and if so do you like it?
I am a scrapbooker so I am always looking for neat things to do with pictures.

I sure will...do you know how to get the free photoshop?

I could poke around for you to find them, but the concern is that the terms you agree to allow them rights to your photos. Until that's all sorted out, I wouldn't consider signing up for usage. Also, you don't download the program, but sign up to use it online.

Also do you or have you used GIMP and if so do you like it?
I am a scrapbooker so I am always looking for neat things to do with pictures.

Oh, you are so talkin' to the right girl. What program do you use now?

I have tons of links and sources for digital scrapbook, and even do some designing of my own.

Oh, you are so talkin' to the right girl. What program do you use now?

I have tons of links and sources for digital scrapbook, and even do some designing of my own.

I don't use ANY program...thats why I was so excited to see this!!!! I am not (yet) a dig. scrapbooker although I'd love too...
You do designing for scrapbookers or just in general?

Gimp looks VERY confusing to me, but I'm so computer illiterate it's not even funny.

I've made custom kits that I've shared. My scrapbooking is basically for myself, but I've done a bunch of custom work for friends and family.

I'm hoping this link works, but worst possible case you can search by username (golfmom) for me there ... http://www.scrapartist.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=2570

Hopefully, that should give you an idea of the kind of stuff I do. You might want to look through the gallery in general. It's always fun to look at other people's work for inspiration.

Anyway, I started years ago with Microsoft Picture It! and eventually grew out of it and moved over to Photoshop. Photoshop is NOT for the faint of heart though, there's a big learning curve. I ended up needing to take an online class to get me going in the right direction.

I've made custom kits that I've shared. My scrapbooking is basically for myself, but I've done a bunch of custom work for friends and family.

I'm hoping this link works, but worst possible case you can search by username (golfmom) for me there ... http://www.scrapartist.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=2570

Hopefully, that should give you an idea of the kind of stuff I do. You might want to look through the gallery in general. It's always fun to look at other people's work for inspiration.

Anyway, I started years ago with Microsoft Picture It! and eventually grew out of it and moved over to Photoshop. Photoshop is NOT for the faint of heart though, there's a big learning curve. I ended up needing to take an online class to get me going in the right direction.

I'm a total scrap-lifter!!! Going to check the link now...thanks!!!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rainydaze17
Back