Doner children demand to be told parents' IDs

Floh

Former Member
Reaction score
Watch how this affects donors. surely the promise of anonymity being rescinded will mean fewer offerings?

Ministers today faced a fresh challenge over fertility reforms.
A new campaign group has accused the Government of refusing to recognise the rights of children born through sperm or egg donation.
The International Donor Offspring Alliance says children who are not told the identity of their genetic parents are at risk of trauma in later life.
It is lobbying for a new style of birth certificate that would record the names of sperm or egg donors so children can track down their parents.

More: http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/stand...mand+to+be+told+parents%27+IDs/article.do

I read a very interesting article in one my hubber's men's magazines. It was written by a donor who had made MANY donations. It covered this new process and described how he felt about being tracked down by MANY children and their mothers. This story was about American donors, though.

I think the future of this will very interesting, and I can't imagine, like you, Floh, that too many men will continue to donate.

I read a very interesting article in one my hubber's men's magazines. It was written by a donor who had made MANY donations. It covered this new process and described how he felt about being tracked down by MANY children and their mothers. This story was about American donors, though.

I think the future of this will very interesting, and I can't imagine, like you, Floh, that too many men will continue to donate.

Umpteen uncountable amounts of children, when i think about it. :eek:

I think everyone deserves and has a right to know who they are so I say more power to them! A donor goes into it willingly, a child does not chose how they come into the world.

VB

The donor has a right to be and stay anonymouse.
There are contracts signed to protect his rights.

I think everyone deserves and has a right to know who they are so I say more power to them! A donor goes into it willingly, a child does not chose how they come into the world.

VB

I don't know who my biological father is, never will and don't care. :)

i seriously believe if it comes to pass, children created as a result of doners will be fewer and further between. which means more couples will be denied the chance to give a loving family to a child. perhaps that's selfish? perhaps i'm the only person in the world who has no burning desire to know of my paternal origins?

I don't know who my biological father is, never will and don't care. :)

i seriously believe if it comes to pass, children created as a result of doners will be fewer and further between. which means more couples will be denied the chance to give a loving family to a child. perhaps that's selfish? perhaps i'm the only person in the world who has no burning desire to know of my paternal origins?
I agree with you- and think it is ridiculous to be " a given right "- they can kinda look at it like they are lucky they even exist- and thank the unkown donor, and leave it at that ! :crazy:

I agree with you- and think it is ridiculous to be " a given right "- they can kinda look at it like they are lucky they even exist- and thank the unkown donor, and leave it at that ! :crazy:

The way my thoughts run. :blowkiss:

What if the person has a physical problem that could be life threatening and needs to trace a family medical history? Many contracts were made years ago when people had no idea about hereditary diseases. From a medical perspective I think the person has a right to know.

I don't see why donor children should be granted rights when those adopted through closed adoptions are never given any. I have petitioned the courts for medical information in my adoption file and was told no on more than one occasion. I don't understand why this group has more "need to know" than the rest of us.

Personally, I could not deal with not knowing where half of my genes came from, and with the prospect of NEVER knowing...but I am an extremely curious person, which is how I came to this site in the first place.

I don't see why donor children should be granted rights when those adopted through closed adoptions are never given any. I have petitioned the courts for medical information in my adoption file and was told no on more than one occasion. I don't understand why this group has more "need to know" than the rest of us.

I think that both groups should have the right to their medical history.
It should be required that it is kept up to date even if their identity is kept secret. I just don't think it would be easy to enforce.

VB
How does knowing who donated their sperm help a person know *who they are*
The donor has a right to be and stay anonymouse.
There are contracts signed to protect his rights.
I agree

What if the person has a physical problem that could be life threatening and needs to trace a family medical history? Many contracts were made years ago when people had no idea about hereditary diseases. From a medical perspective I think the person has a right to know.
This just doesn't hold up anymore. We have too many sophisticated ways to get medical history. I think this is an excuse. JMHO of course.
What would be different if you knew you were predisposed to something anyway? best to just take the best care of yourself as possible and cover all the bases regardless of your medical history.
If I didn't know what my family history was regarding breast cancer, I would just make sure i got regualr exams and stayed on top of it. What difference would knowing my history really make?

I agree

This just doesn't hold up anymore. We have too many sophisticated ways to get medical history. I think this is an excuse. JMHO of course.
What would be different if you knew you were predisposed to something anyway? best to just take the best care of yourself as possible and cover all the bases regardless of your medical history.
If I didn't know what my family history was regarding breast cancer, I would just make sure i got regualr exams and stayed on top of it. What difference would knowing my history really make?
great post- dammit I hate how you say what i meant too :blowkiss:

I agree

I'll give you a for instance..

My ex husband was adopted. He had a heart attack when he was 32.
When we checked with the agency he was adopted from, they told us that is biological grandfather died of a heart attack at 42.
This made me check my daughter's cholesterol when she was 2.
She also has high cholesterol and we started with a nutritionist when she was a kid. Now she is under a cardiologists care.
If we didn't know this history, we may not have been as agressive in watching/treating her high cholesterol.

When we checked with the agency he was adopted from, they told us that is biological grandfather died of a heart attack at 42.
She also has high cholesterol and we started with a nutritionist when she was a kid. Now she is under a cardiologists care.
If we didn't know this history, we may not have been as agressive in watching/treating her high cholesterol.
But that's my point. if you don't know the history why not just be agressive and pro active as a rule then? It would have been nothing to check your child at a young age, or yourself if you have no idea about your history.
csds, I should backoff a bit and say there are some circumstacnes where medical history is helpful. But generally and overall most things can be discovered on their own if we are proactive. JMHO of course. I am glad you got the info you needed to help your child.

But that's my point. if you don't know the history why not just be agressive and pro active as a rule then? It would have been nothing to check your child at a young age, or yourself if you have no idea about your history.
csds, I should backoff a bit and say there are some circumstacnes where medical history is helpful. But generally and overall most things can be discovered on their own if we are proactive. JMHO of course. I am glad you got the info you needed to help your child.
and I agree - the point is- if a person does not "know their origin" just be more agressive with the medical upkeep or updates that are available- you dont have to "know" someones history, to know you need to watch out-

and I agree - the point is- if a person does not "know their origin" just be more agressive with the medical upkeep or updates that are available- you dont have to "know" someones history, to know you need to watch out-

I think the point for me is when you know a certain history, you may start looking for it earlier than the guidelines say.

If you have a history of colon cancer in your family for people younger than 50, you would get your colonsocopy in your 40's.
Most doctors and insurance companies recommend it at age 50.
See what I mean?

I think the point for me is when you know a certain history, you may start looking for it earlier than the guidelines say.

If you have a history of colon cancer in your family for people younger than 50, you would get your colonsocopy in your 40's.
Most doctors and insurance companies recommend it at age 50.
See what I mean?
yes- I understand what you are saying- but if you dont know- then keep on top of everything--- how many people dont even do that when they have a history? ALOT

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back