Truckers call for strike

chicoliving

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
At Up to $1,200 a Fill-Up, Truckers to Strike Over Record Diesel Prices

MEDFORD, Ore. — Some independent U.S. truckers are planning to stop hauling freight on April 1 in protest of record-high diesel prices that are cutting into profit margins.

Independent truckers, who constitute 90 percent of the nation's trucking fleet, are caught paying the high diesel price without any increase in their rates, according to a trade organization.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,344170,00.html

Yikes, Im shopping tomorrow before the prices get really high. I hope the truckers strike can pull these gas prices down.

The trucker strike will not pull any prices down, it will reward them with better rates. You have to udnerstand, check out www.ooida.com and you will see that consumers are paying more, however the truckers are not being paid more. Brokers are still trying to get truckers to pull for $1 a mile and not pasing in fuel surcharges to the drivers. The indenpenedents are being pushed out. For the last several months truckers have been hauling for the same rates from a year ago, yet the price to operate has increased.

damn!! I know there is one poster here that owns a trucking co ..... She was talking about this a few weeks back.

Already shopped!!!!! I'm ready. Stopped by a friend's this afternoon. Retired independent trucker. He participated in the last strike. He said it only lasted a week, but if it had gone on for 2 weeks it would have made a real impact.

We use diesel in one truck and one tractor. I know that truckers here that haul cattle and grain are paying over $1000 per fill up.

damn!! I know there is one poster here that owns a trucking co ..... She was talking about this a few weeks back.

I think you're referring to c2cd208 who has posted directly above you in this thread. i took her information from a thread she started a couple of weeks ago and gave it promptly to a cousin who lives in Nevada. my cousin went straight to the store to stock up on canned goods essentials should a rough patch come along.

i can't find the thread she started, otherwise i would link to it.

Trucking is such a huge operation you would think they would protect them. I havent had a chance to fully read up on it but I plan to tomorrow after going to the grocery store.

Yeah, unfortunately this will have no effect on gas prices (how could it?) but will have a huge impact on food prices. I can't blame the truckers, but food is already rising dramatically due to fuel costs.

There are a few ways this *could* help to bring down fuel prices, angelmom.
One, is *if* the truckers get legislators' attention (or the president's), that federal taxes on fuel could possibly be suspended; and/or even states' fuel taxes (although, imo opinion, unlikely).

Another possible way to bring prices down would be to put a freeze on adding to the Stategic Petroleum Reserve, or even releasing oil from that same reserve.

Here's an article that states that a Hawaii congressman is asking President Bush to release some of that crude oil from our Strategic Reserve:

http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/stories/2008/03/31/daily5.html

Even better, here is one about the American Truckers Association calling on President Bush to give them a break at the pump:

http://www.todaystrucking.com/news.cfm?intDocID=19343

I really don't figure the strike will affect grocery prices, although if enough of them join the shutdown, it will certainly have an effect on obtaining groceries, *if* it is carried out for a number of days.

I wish I knew what they are going to do, and for how long though! I need a crystal ball! ;)

I am the one who owns a trucking company. Here is the link to the thread I started: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61294&highlight=Warning+Trucker+STrike
I have to take my son to school and I have to take care of a copule of things this AM but I will be back here after all that and I will be watching the news so I can try and keep up with all of this. Dang I hate being in the middle of a "life" situation while something like this is happening.

I am the one who owns a trucking company. Here is the link to the thread I started: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61294&highlight=Warning+Trucker+STrike
I have to take my son to school and I have to take care of a copule of things this AM but I will be back here after all that and I will be watching the news so I can try and keep up with all of this. Dang I hate being in the middle of a "life" situation while something like this is happening.

My son may be impacted. He links truckers to possible loads so they do not return empty.

What will the impact for everyone else be?
As for federal taxes being lowered, not a chance. The national debt clock today read $9,413,885,800,588.63.

Maybe the feds will release some reserves, but I'm guessing this would be a temporary fix.

One possible impact would be to raise consumer prices. Oh, great, just what we need in this sagging economy.

I think you're referring to c2cd208 who has posted directly above you in this thread. i took her information from a thread she started a couple of weeks ago and gave it promptly to a cousin who lives in Nevada. my cousin went straight to the store to stock up on canned goods essentials should a rough patch come along.

i can't find the thread she started, otherwise i would link to it.

Here is the thread: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61294

Well, the national debt didn't stop congress from passing a totally unnecessary bill to give a tax stimulus rebate to almost all Americans, did it?

IMO, this trucking fuel crisis has the potential to have a much more adverse effect on the economy, than Americans not getting $300 on up, in an effort to 'stimulate' the economy, which estimated at $156 Billion, borrowed from China. (IOW, I would rather have seen the money go to a fuel assistance package for the Independent Truckers!)

These independent truckers not only have to pay these exhorbitant prices for their fuel, but they take another hit as a consumer, just like the rest of us.

Truckers should totally refuse to take loads that do not pay them a decent and profitable wage, which would cover the (high costs of) maintenance on their rigs, as well as all their other trucking related expenses.

Just my opinion.

Truckers should totally refuse to take loads that do not pay them a decent and profitable wage, which would cover the (high costs of) maintenance on their rigs, as well as all their other trucking related expenses.

Just my opinion.

This is a good suggestion if you work for a company, but independent truckers are another breed and need to haul to make a living.

This is a good suggestion if you work for a company, but independent truckers are another breed and need to haul to make a living.

No, the company drivers are most likely making out just fine. It's the independents that are suffering. I don't believe they are a different breed.
In fact, I'm sure they're not.

I don't necessarily mean a breed, just that they own their own trucks, pay their own insurance, etc. They definitely would suffer more than company truckers.

The facts seem to point to the reality that they are already suffering, terribly. Truck repos are up 110% over the previous year. And *if* the independent truck drivers keep accepting loads that don't pay their way, then they are only doing a further dis-service to themselves and to their compadres in the independent trucking industry, imo.

If I'm understanding what I've been reading correctly, it is fairly common practice to basically try to screw the (independent) truck drivers as they try to make their way back home, by offering them sub-standard rates for loads, knowing the drivers have to get back home.

Anyone please feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken. I've read quite a few articles but am definitely no expert. Just my take on it.

You guys crack me up. She's (c2cd208) already posted above! LOL :doh:

I've heard truckers are slowing down traffic. I love my truckers, but not when they are slowing Taximom down from her daily duties. Please go to Washington D.C. and slow THEM down. Or your State Capitol. Capital. Whatever!! Just get out of my way. I'm burning gas that's expensive too! And I'm late again, so don't make me give you the Taximom finger.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back