1172 users online (197 members and 975 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

British Researchers Create Human-Animal Hybrid Embryos

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,344789,00.html
    LONDON —
    Embryos containing human and animal material have been created in Britain for the first time, a month before the House of Commons votes on new laws to regulate the research.

A team at Newcastle University announced yesterday that it had successfully generated “admixed embryos” by adding human DNA to empty cow eggs in the first experiment of its kind in Britain.
    (much more at link)

Oh great. Now we can one day see cows with human faces? Yikes!
    I don't think I'm quite ready for this "miracle" to take place. (if it hasn't already happened in some lab someplace.)

hipmamajen is offline I love the friends I have gathered together on this thin raft...
    Good grief, why?
    Just thinkin' out loud....

Anybody else remember this from school days?
    The Island of Dr. Moreau by H. G. Wells
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Island_of_Dr._Moreau

Quote Originally Posted by hipmamajen View Post
    Good grief, why?
    To have stem cells with which to study horrible diseases like Parkinson's, with the hope of finding a better way to treat it, if not cure it, that is why. There won't be any cows with human faces. This is a way to get the stem cells, without getting them from....other places that some object to.

Admixed embryos are widely supported by scientists and patient groups as they provide an opportunity to produce powerful stem-cell models for investigating diseases such as Parkinson’s and diabetes, and for developing new drugs.
    <snip>
    The BBC reported that the Newcastle cybrids lived for three days, and that the largest grew to contain 32 cells. The ultimate aim is to grow these for six days, and then to extract embryonic stem cells for use in research.

Once the technique has been tested, scientists hope to create cybrids from the DNA of patients with genetic diseases. The resulting stem cells could then be used as models of those diseases to provide insights into their progress and to test new treatments.

It is already illegal to culture human-animal embryos for more than 14 days, or to implant them in the womb of a woman or animal, and these prohibitions will remain in the new legislation.

Quote Originally Posted by drip~drop View Post
    Oh great. Now we can one day see cows with human faces? Yikes!
    I don't think I'm quite ready for this "miracle" to take place. (if it hasn't already happened in some lab someplace.)
    Read the article. It says the cells will never develop and that they are being used to research diseases.

Quote Originally Posted by deanws View Post
    Read the article. It says the cells will never develop and that they are being used to research diseases.
    The article also states that the cow DNA was entirely removed. Basically, the cow cell is emptied of any genetic material that says "cow" and replaced with human genetic material. Even if the embryo was allowed to develop, it could not develop into a cow/human. I suspect it might not be able to develop very far at all, even if implanted into a human or animal uterus (although I could be wrong).

If something like this is needed for research of nasty diseases, I'm okay with it, although I'm uncomfortable with the thought that some weirdo would try to take this to another level.

It does have a big chunk of the "ick" factor, I admit.

This is udderly fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by scarpetta View Post
    This is udderly fascinating.
    LOL

I just hope they remove the methane gas producing gene if they ever create a cowson, or cowple. Or peacows.

The Moreau Trilogy by S. A. Swann:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moreau_series

Go Sci-Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by Taximom View Post
    LOL

I just hope they remove the methane gas producing gene ...
    Too late. I've got that one...

LOL, Xcom!

Quote Originally Posted by deanws View Post

I was so pooped last night and let my imagination run away.
    I should have taken the time to read the articles.
    Anyways, if it will help further medicine and do no harm, I'm all for it.

(getting cow with human face outta my head... )

hipmamajen is offline I love the friends I have gathered together on this thin raft...
    That makes sense, I figured there was more to it than I was grasping up front.

It still feels pretty icky to me, though. I'll have to check it out more.
    Just thinkin' out loud....

Quote Originally Posted by hipmamajen View Post
    That makes sense, I figured there was more to it than I was grasping up front.

It still feels pretty icky to me, though. I'll have to check it out more.
    I'm glad to hear there won't be half cow, half people walking around someday, but it does still have an "icky" factor to me, too!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    *My posts are my opinions, expressed freely thanks to the First Amendment.*

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast