Son Offers $14 an Hour for a Drinking Buddy for His Dad

curious1

So broccoli, mother says your good for me,well I'm
Reaction score
A British man is turning the tables on a night out at the bar, offering to pay someone to sit and chat at the bar while drinking beer, rather than forking over cash for the same pleasure.
Mike Hammond has posted a notice in the local post office seeking a drinking buddy for his 88-year-old father, who will take him out for drinks twice a week, the Daily Mail reports. Hammond is offering $14 per hour plus expenses, along with the promise of excellent conversation with his father, Jack, a retired engineer.
Jack recently moved into an assisted living home near Winsor, England, to be closer to his family, but is now too far away to spend time at the local pub with his old drinking buddies.
“It's a bit difficult at this age to go out to a pub on your own,” Jack Hammond told the Daily Mail. “I don't want to be a nuisance. It was a bit upsetting when I had to leave as I left all my friends back home.” ...snip...

more at link....http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,345713,00.html

Hey, if I lived over there I'd take him up on the offer for a few nights a week. :D

p.s. Mods: if this has already been posted elsewhere feel free to delete or merge

I think that is a thoughtful son. Why take him away from all of his buddies and his lifestyle? I hope he finds someone willing to treat his father genuinely nice and enables him to enjoy his life among friends.

I have often thought they should have "bars" in assisted living centers for the seniors to congregate. I do know at certain facilities with a doctor's order...they are allowed 2 drinks in the evenings. Why should they have to forego something which is perfectly legal and they are, after all, well over 21!!

I hope the buddy also watches the elderly man making sure that he doesn't fall after drinking alcohol and break a hip at this age.

I think that is a thoughtful son. Why take him away from all of his buddies and his lifestyle? I hope he finds someone willing to treat his father genuinely nice and enables him to enjoy his life among friends.

I have often thought they should have "bars" in assisted living centers for the seniors to congregate. I do know at certain facilities with a doctor's order...they are allowed 2 drinks in the evenings. Why should they have to forego something which is perfectly legal and they are, after all, well over 21!!

Me too. While I do not drink I see nothing wrong with anyone else doing so. One of my family members had a fit when I took my 84 year old grammy in a bar to visit the owner (another family member) and bought my grammy a beer. Heck, she is old enough to do what she wants. And one beer in ten years certainly won't kill her.

Yeah I thought it was sweet, the old guy moved to an assisted living center to be closer to this family even when it meant leaving his mates. He won't have any problem finding new mates. :)

I hope the buddy also watches the elderly man making sure that he doesn't fall after drinking alcohol and break a hip at this age.

I think that may be part of the job description. At first I wondered why the son didn't volunteer himself, but maybe his dad simply prefers to hang out with gentlemen of his own generation? I know I would.

Well, my grammy fell today, sober (she is fine just a bruise). So I guess I will need to get a drinking buddy for her should she ever decide to partake in a little bit of the drink again.

I am sure his dad does. My grandma loves us, but get her in a group of women her age and let her think you are gone and she is having more fun than a barrel of monkeys. Guess us young whippersnappers just don't understand them folks, lol.

I sure hope this obviously thoughtful and caring son finds his dad a drinking buddy who enjoys spending time with him. The money is a nice offer, I just hope he doesn't end up with somebody only in it for the pay.

I'd have probably done the same for my grandfather if he moved away from his bar buddies. Just like us, our seniors need to be with people they can relate to. For folks like my grandfather and this gentleman that means bellying up to the bar and trading tales.

Heck, if I lived there I would do it. Would be a paycut, but I'd be doing something I'm passionate about.

I love to drink...heck I'd do this for free.
Me and Pops could party all night!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vigilandy
Back