1021 users online (211 members and 810 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

3rd Grader Suspended for Sniffing Shirt

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,346358,00.html

I didn't know one could get high on sniffing markers! Surely this is an overreaction on the school's part. Was such extreme action needed?

When I was around that age, I would sometimes sniff magic markers because I liked the way they smelled. I think that the school overreacted.

The kid needs to learn how to follow directions. He was told to stop a dangerous behavior repeatedly.

If the kid did get high and pass out, the school would have been sued!

BUT My question is .........why have that type of marker in a elementary school?

Quote Originally Posted by Linda7NJ View Post
    The kid needs to learn how to follow directions. He was told to stop a dangerous behavior repeatedly.

If the kid did get high and pass out, the school would have been sued!

BUT My question is .........why have that type of marker in a elementary school?
    You're right he wasn't following directions, but he didn't get suspended for that, he was suspended for the actual sniffing. Now, I've never heard of getting high on markers, but if it is true, than why allow them to be used in school. I'm really of the opinion the school overreacted, which we seem to be seeing a lot of lately.

Wow, who knew markers could get you high! When I was in grade school there was a certain percentage of the students who ate the glue. We were told not to eat the glue everytime we used the glue but there were still those who did it. Should they have all been suspended?

I have to agree, if the markers really are dangerous then get them out of the school. Use some of those markers that are made for children (nontoxic type). If the child repeatedly does something he is told not to do then punish him for that, we used to have to write on the blackboard over and over that we would not do whatever we did wrong. Do teachers still use that as punishment, because it worked.

No, I'm sure the days of students getting punished are long gone. I think now a days they just get a little talk.

Quote Originally Posted by MsRusty View Post
    No, I'm sure the days of students getting punished are long gone. I think now a days they just get a little talk.
    Too bad! Cause it doesn't look like that little talk thing is working the way it should. If that boy would have had to write on the blackboard 50 times "I will not sniff my shirt" maybe he would have stopped sniffing his shirt. And again maybe not, perhaps he was getting high, so is the school system then a pusher? Did he not get the marker on his shirt at school?

Just FYI, some things kids sniff:
    aerosol whipping creams
    air freshener
    aeroplane glue
    analgesic spray
    polyvinyl chloride cement
    asthma spray
    butane
    CO2 cartridges
    contact cement
    cooking sprays
    degreaser
    deodorant
    dessert topping sprays
    dry cleaning fluid
    fabric protector
    gasoline
    gold and silver spray paint
    hair spray
    Halon (fire extinguishers)
    marking pens
    nail polish remover
    nitrous oxide
    plastic cement
    plastic wood
    poppers and rush
    spot remover
    toluene
    typewriter correction fluid

Our school district sent a list of things to watch for (symptoms etc) at the beginning of the school year. I never thought one could be suspended for it though. Seems like serious counseling is in order. Maybe there were other issues at hand.

**I will admit to huffing the fruity smelling colored markers, but I think those are o.k.!!**

Quote Originally Posted by Thundar View Post
    Wow, who knew markers could get you high! When I was in grade school there was a certain percentage of the students who ate the glue. We were told not to eat the glue everytime we used the glue but there were still those who did it. Should they have all been suspended?

I have to agree, if the markers really are dangerous then get them out of the school. Use some of those markers that are made for children (nontoxic type). If the child repeatedly does something he is told not to do then punish him for that, we used to have to write on the blackboard over and over that we would not do whatever we did wrong. Do teachers still use that as punishment, because it worked.
    Ha, ha, that is what I remember too, kids eating glue. We had one kid that would eat bugs when he found them. I think it is a little silly to suspend him. He is eight so I doubt he really thought he was doing something so bad, but there were those third graders that were plotting to attack their teacher. My little boy is in 3rd grade and I would like to think they don't know of such things yet.

Quote Originally Posted by imthemom View Post
    Ha, ha, that is what I remember too, kids eating glue. We had one kid that would eat bugs when he found them. I think it is a little silly to suspend him. He is eight so I doubt he really thought he was doing something so bad, but there were those third graders that were plotting to attack their teacher. My little boy is in 3rd grade and I would like to think they don't know of such things yet.

But I bet your child can comprehend and follow a simple direction given by his teacher!

Taximom, I have heard of most of those things on your list. And I dont know, maybe because the child is only 8 is making believe there was an overreaction. Had this been, say, an 8th grader, I might believe there was something going on. I know it's not always the case, but I think most of the time 8 yr olds are still young enough to be innocent to the dangers of the world. I mean, the boy was only sniffing his shirt that had the marker line, not the marker itself. If it is true the markers cause a high, how long can the intoxicating fume--or whatever it is--actually remain on the shirt?

MsRusty, that's exactly what I was thinking. I would think there would be "smell" and "fumes". (Does that make sense?!) It seems to me that the shirt wouldn't hold the harmful fumes for that long...

Anyone remember before copiers,when teachers used ditto paper? I loved the smell of that.
    I remember people eating the white paste too. I had a kid in my class the ate everything. Crayons were his favorite. We used to wonder what would ever become of him because he was such a weirdo. He is a very high ranking NY State Trooper and is very normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Taximom View Post

**I will admit to huffing the fruity smelling colored markers, but I think those are o.k.!!**
    What is your favorite one my is brown smells like chocolate lolly pops

I have a set of those made by Fooy(think thats the way it is spelled). I am pusher for marker huffers. I work with 3-5 year olds at church on wed. nights. I write their name on the paper with my markers and they will sniff the paper. If I forget my marks at home they will ask for them. Never thought I was getting 3 year olds high on marker at church of all places.

I work at a school. We have some pretty strong smelling markers. I admit I like to sniff the playdough. Man, that stuff smells good. I don't think the child should have been suspended for sniffing the markers. The school should have removed the markers in question. Surely there is a odor free marker that could be used.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast