FL FL - Peggy Rahn, 9, & Wendy Stevenson, 8, Pompano Beach, 29 Dec 1969

Richard

Reaction score
This was a double disappearance of two little girls.

----------------------------------------------
Peggy Rahn
Missing since December 29, 1969 from Pompano Beach, Broward County, Florida
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: October 21, 1960
Age at Time of Disappearance: 9 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 4'4"; 67 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Blonde hair; blue eyes.
Marks, Scars: Scar right eyebrow. Freckles.
Clothing: A wearing a blue and white checkered bikini.
Other: No fingerprints, dentals or DNA available.

-------------------------------------------------

Wendy Brown Stevenson
Missing since December 29, 1969 from Pompano Beach, Broward County, Florida
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: June 20, 1961
Age at Time of Disappearance: 8 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 4'2"; 61 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; hazel eyes.
Marks, Scars: Scar abdomen.
Clothing: A blue and white checkered bikini.
Other: No fingerprints, dentals or DNA available.

------------------------------------------------
Circumstances of Disappearance

Peggy Rahn, 9, and Wendy Stevenson, 8, vanished from Pompano Beach on December 29, 1969. They were last seen walking toward the beach parking lot to buy ice cream cones.

A day later, a clerk at a nearby convenience store reported a man buying ice cream for two young girls on the previous afternoon. The clerk identified photos of Peggy and Wendy, describing their companion as a white man in his 20s, six feet tall, around 200 pounds.

Serial-killer Gerald Schaefer was a suspect in the case. He was never charged, though prosecutors publicly accused him of the crime in 1973. Schaefer denied the slayings publicly, but later confessed in a letter dated April 19, 1989.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Broward County Sheriff's Office
954-493-8477

Agency Case Number: PB69-915468 (Peggy)
Agency Case Number: PB69-915468 (Wendy)
Please refer to these numbers when contacting any agency with information regarding these cases.

Source Information:
FDLE
Crime Library
Florida Missing Children Information Clearinghouse
The Doe Network: Case File 2241DFFL (Peggy)
The Doe Network: Case File 2242DFFL (Wendy)

LINKS:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2241dffl.html (Peggy)
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2242dffl.html (Wendy)

Bumping this case up. This December will mark the 40 year anniversary of the disappearance of these two little girls.

20 years ago Gerald Schaefer confessed to kidnapping and murdering them but did he say where he put their bodies? That bit of information was not made available.

No Trace of 2 Missing Girls
December 30, 1969

Two young girls who police say were "not inclined to wander off" strolled away from their adult companions in mid-day Monday and disappeared.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...J&pg=7402,9757537&dq=peggy+rahn+missing&hl=en

Search for Girls Fails
January 2, 1970

A foot search covering portions of two counties failed to turn up any trace of two little girls missing since Monday, police said late Thursday.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...AJ&pg=5728,314612&dq=peggy+rahn+missing&hl=en

Hope Fades For Finding Missing Girls
January 6, 1970

Fruitless leads and dead ends have frustrated police and dimmed the hopes of relatives searching for two little girls missing for more than a week.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...AJ&pg=6654,554006&dq=peggy+rahn+missing&hl=en

Reward Offered by Parents of 2 Missing Girls
January 13, 1970

Parents of two small girls who disappeared from a beach party 15 days ago offered $5,000 ransom today for return of the youngsters.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...J&pg=1766,2039811&dq=peggy+rahn+missing&hl=en

Sea-Wall Destructed to Find Missing Girls
January 28, 1970

A Pompano Beach construction company is voluntarily tearing up a seawall in the remote possibility that two little girls, missing since Dec. 28, are buried underneath.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...J&pg=2044,9179388&dq=peggy+rahn+missing&hl=en

Notebook Links Man to Missing Girls
February 12, 1970

A man arrested here on child molestation charges carried a coded notebook containing the first names of more than 50 girls - including "Peggy and Wendy - Pompano Beach," police said yesterday.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...AJ&pg=7310,856825&dq=peggy+rahn+missing&hl=en

Mother of Missing Girl Still Hopes
December 30, 1971

It's been two years since Peggy Rahn disappeared while on a beach outing with a school friend but her mother says she hasn't given up hope of finding her daughter.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...J&pg=3659,9308901&dq=peggy+rahn+missing&hl=en

Mother Keeps Vigil For Missing Girl
September 6, 1974

It's been almost five years since her 9-year-old daughter disappeared on a crowded Florida beach, but Cecile Rahn still burns a kitchen light at night and refuses to throw away Peggy's favorite pajamas.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...J&pg=5151,2585338&dq=peggy+rahn+missing&hl=en

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1] MOTHERS OF THE MISSING
June 23, 2008

[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]The wooden armoire greeting visitors in the doorway of Cecile Rahn's Pompano Beach home displays framed snapshots of life's happiest moments: A family embracing at Christmastime. A portrait of her oldest daughter. Her granddaughter's wedding day. Not around are photos of Peggy -- Rahn's blond, blue-eyed, freckle-faced daughter. In Davie, Kay Stevenson still keeps a school... [/SIZE][/FONT]

What a sad case!

The last URL is a PPV link. Is it known where the suspect is now? I wonder if he could be charged without saying where the bodies are if DNA could somehow be linked to him? Especially since he confessed to the crime.

Satch

The child molester named in this case died a few years back. I asked the older sister if DNA was taken from the mother and it was. I have no idea if this information is in CODIS. Since I am now on this WS. I will start by asking the sheriff dept about the DNA. There are a couple of pics on the DOE network that look similar. They are older, however, I can not rule out that the victim was still alive a few years later.
I sit with the victim's sister almost every Sunday at Sunday school. No, I will not even think of broaching this subject with her until/if I have something positive to say.

Peggys sister shared in class recently all that went on that December and January. Peggys mother died about 2 years ago.

Thanks and I look forward to working with you all.
flying.sleuth

I am not an expert, however, I also wanted to mention that the serial killer in Gearld Schaffer was not a pedophile. I know I know, but he seem to like at least 15-20 year olds. These girls would not have interested him. Serial killers make all kinds of unverifiable statements. Anything to feed their ego.

I spoke with Det. Blankenship today. he is in charge of this Cold Case for Broward Sheriffs department. I asked him if the DNA that was taken from Peggys mom was in CODIS. He said he assumed it was. That is not an answer. I will continue to go from there. I imagine I will have to go down there myself and look at the file to see if her Mothers DNA did go into CODIS. Blankenship did state the FBI took the DNA sample about 5-6 years ago.

I spoke with Dr. Jantz about the girl found in Tennessee Case File 482UFTN on Doe Network.
The Dr. said based on the time of death in 1980's that Peggy Rahn could not be the same person.
I asked her to also look and see if Peggy Rahn was in CODIS and she stated the DNA sample was complete but did not say if the sample is in CODIS.
The Tennessee girl is ruled out

Attachments

• 482UFTN.jpg
    482UFTN.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 115
I spoke w Dr. Mike Warren of University of Florida Forensic Anthorpology. He said he would go through his combined case log of unclaimed bodies for the State of Florida and get back to me.

Attachments

• rahn_peggy2.jpg
    rahn_peggy2.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 64
Dr. Warren was kind enough to call me back and tell me sadly none of the remains he has fit the parameters of this case.

I have also spoken to the guy in charge of Namus case on Peggy Rahn and Wendy Stevenson. He said it is very doubtful that they made it very far and to narrow my search to FL, GA, AL, AR. I asked him about also limiting the years forward to about 1980. He thought that was a good idea too. Meaning, look for undentified remains between 11-20 years old.
Now I have been looking at the various medical examiners sites here in FL. looking for the old cases that are not in CODIS. Not full skeletons, just pieces are what I am coming up with and they are not all in CODIS. Sometimes for example a piece of skull bone was found in the ocean w barnacles in 1975 unfortunately it is impossible at this time to gain DNA or anything like that with that particular piece.

I spoke with the ME detective in McDonough, Henry County, Georgia about a possible match with Peggy and/or Wendy. The ME investigator actually called over to property and ask them to take a look at the skull and determined that the remains were to old to be Peggy or Wendy. I thanked her for her time.

231UFGA.jpg

She is NOT a match to Peggy and Wendy

I also got a call from a VERY concerned ME investigator named Wendy Crane. She works for the Broward Co. ( where Peggy and Wendy went missing) ME office.
She is following up and getting back to me on where Peggy and Wendy's DNA is. IS it in CODIS or in Texas or is it in both? And she is following up on if Wendys DNA if there is a sample of her DNA.
I call once a week. Ms. Crane is working with the cold case det. Blankenship to get the information.

Peggy Rahns' DNA is in CODIS. Wendy Stevensons' DNA is not anywhere.

:banghead:

Her mother would not submit any DNA.
Before anyone makes a comment, remember, Mrs. Stevenson is a victim. I am sure she has her reasons.
This development makes it more about Peggy Rahn. Because I have something to work with.
I am concentrating on partials and young females 11-20 years old in Florida. Once I have exhausted that avenue, I will expand to the neighboring states.

Bumping this case up. This December will mark the 40 year anniversary of the disappearance of these two little girls.

20 years ago Gerald Schaefer confessed to kidnapping and murdering them but did he say where he put their bodies? That bit of information was not made available.
Schaefer stated the girls were best when prepared with onions and peppers. He stated he took them as he had always wanted to try human flesh and was told virgin human flesh was the best. In a side not......few of Schaefers victims have ever been found. He loved taking the girls into the swamps.

I am not an expert, however, I also wanted to mention that the serial killer in Gearld Schaffer was not a pedophile. I know I know, but he seem to like at least 15-20 year olds. These girls would not have interested him. Serial killers make all kinds of unverifiable statements. Anything to feed their ego.
As the sister of one of Schaffers victims I do have to disagree. (Sorry) The main reason his victims were older is it was simpler and less noticed for a policeman to pick up a teenager. All he had to say was suspected run away and nobody even gave it a second thought. He also made several references to these poor little angels. These two are among the few he did ever admit to abducting, and he stated his sick reasons why.
I am not saying to give up hope.....we never have.....but you may want to take time to read his dreadful book. (I bought a used copy from Amazon so neither him nor the women who actually sold the book could profit)

While it is true that most suspected Schaffer victims are older. My sister was 13. The reality is nobody knows how many actual Schaffer victims are among the missing. During his time he prison he actually bragged the number was between 80 and 103. He always stated that he did not take these two small girls for any sexual reason. To make the case even more complicated Schaffer was not the only serial killer that was out there during this time frame.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82
Back