NY NY - Bethanie Dougherty, 40, Broome County, 1 April 2008

hoppyfrog

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
http://www.pressconnects.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080404/NEWS01/804040348

4 April 08

Three state police forensic teams have been in the house of a missing Broome County mother of three since early this morning.

The search for a missing 40-year-old Bethanie L. Dougherty resumed this morning, after a daylong search turned up no sign of the woman Thursday.

and

Law enforcement vehicles are surrounding Dougherty's Jennings Creek Road home this morning, as teams are apparently searching the house for clues. State troopers and sheriff's deputies that are entering the home have been signing a log-in sheet before they enter.

much more at link

pic
Dougherty.jpg

.Sheriff David Harder says, "it's suspicious because of the fact that she was last seen in pajamas, her clothing, cell, credentials, car were still at the house. She's not there. She has not been heard from by any relatives or friends or work since that night, and the fact that there were those screams in the middle of the night."
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23946831/

From her SIL supposedly (probably is) at the pressconnects forum:
"Also, the NY State Police website (www.troopers.state.ny.us) is requesting info on a mid to late 90's Chevy S-10 style pick up was seen in the area around the time Bethanie disappearred."

I am so sorry for this family. I hope she's found alive and well soon.

When people heard those screams did they know where they were coming from? I know that LE went to check it out but they said that everything was alright and then found that Bethanie was missing the next day. They must not have went into her house after hearing the screams or maybe people didn't know exactly where the screams were coming from.

Wonder if she had an ex-boyfriend and what kind of relationship she had with her ex-husband. Were they divorced or in the middle of one. Wonder if there was any sign of a fight in her home. Someone must have forced her to leave with them. I hope she is alright but this really sounds bad.

http://www.theithacajournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080407/NEWS01/804070328/1002/NEWS01

7 April 08

A missing Killawog woman had been noticeably stressed at work in the days leading up to her disappearance, and was especially on edge just hours before she disappeared, according to a co-worker.

and

...Dougherty had seemed unusually tense in the days preceding her disappearance. “She was pretty well stressed-out here at work,” said Seaman, who has worked at the store for about eight years.

The stress came from problems both at work and away from the job, including issues with several “boyfriends,” Seaman said. More than a couple of men visited the store often to see Dougherty at work, Seaman said. She did not know their names.

much more at link

She wrote a guy on her myspace friend list a comment asking when he was going to be at the store. He replied he had already been there. I thought it was kind of strange because his response was kind of "flat". Or it could have just been a guy's reaction! IDK.

Well, I hope she just ran away to de-stress. I'm not sure what the screaming would mean in that case though....

http://www.pressconnects.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080725/NEWS01/807250333/1001

25 July 08

During a press conference Thursday at the Broome County Sheriff's Office in Dickinson, Curtis announced the family had increased the reward for information about Dougherty to try to encourage new leads.

The reward for information leading to her safe return will increase to $15,000 from $8,800. A $10,000 reward also is offered for material information leading to the return of Dougherty's remains and another $5,000 is offered for material information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible for her death.

The reward money comes from family, Dougherty's employer Xtra Mart in Freeville, fundraisers and the Carol Sund/Carrington Memorial Reward Foundation, a national organization created after Carole and Juli Sund and Silvina Pelosso disappeared in February 1999 while sightseeing in Yosemite National Park.

Dougherty's family also created pocket-sized calendars featuring Dougherty's picture and her description: age 40, blue eyes, red hair, 5-foot-9 and 160 pounds. A Web site www.findbethaniedougherty.com is also listed on the card.

much more at link

http://mothersarevanishing.blogspot.com/2008/08/bethanie-doughtery.html

On Monday, August 25, the family of Bethanie Doughery will be sponsoring a stop on the Cue Center Road To Remember Tour in Marathon, NY at the Three Bear Hotel and Inn located at 3 Broome Street at 10:30am. If you are near this area, please attend and show support for this family. Encourage her mother, father, sisters and other family members, but most of all the three children who desparately need to have their mother brought home.

Community holds out hope for missing person's return

Family and friends let off 365 balloons during Thursday's vigil, to represent each day she's been missing and their hope for her return. Inside each balloon is Dougherty's missing person information, but family and friends say their hope is getting harder and harder to hold onto.

http://news10now.com/content/all_ne...hope-for-missing-person-s-return/Default.aspx

Missing Woman's Father Pleads for Help

From Terry Curtis, father of Bethanie Dougherty:

It has been sixteen long months and we still don’t know where Bethanie is or what has happened to her.
This has been the worst time of my life and I know for a lot of other people as well. It has gotten more and more difficult over time to hold on to hope for her safety, but we still have some hope because we know so little about the circumstances of her disappearance.

Bethanie will be 42 years old this year, on August 10th. I wish her a happy birthday and hope she is doing well where ever she is. It will not be a happy day for me unless I can hug her and give her a kiss on the cheek and I don’t think that’s going to happen.

Somebody knows what happened and where she is.

I ask this person or those people to please provide this information to the Broome County Sheriff’s or any police agency or to me or any other family member.

Communicate any way possible. Do it anonymously.

More at link:
http://www.newschannel34.com/content/developingnews/story/Missing-Womans-Father-Pleads-for-Help/yr52JCNWGke14iE-DO23Qw.cspx

This is such an odd case and I feel so bad for the family. I hope there is resolution soon.

New York State Police

NIC #M147270127

Basic Information
Race: White
Sex: Female
DOB: 08/10/1967
Height: 5'7"
Weight: 160 pounds
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Red

f you have any information, please call:
Agency: Broome County Sheriff's Office
Phone: (607) 778-1196

or e-mail the information to:
nysvicap@troopers.state.ny.us
Please include your
name, address and
telephone number.

New York State Police

NIC #M147270127

Basic Information
Race: White
Sex: Female
DOB: 08/10/1967
Height: 5'7"
Weight: 160 pounds
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Red

f you have any information, please call:
Agency: Broome County Sheriff's Office
Phone: (607) 778-1196

or e-mail the information to:
nysvicap@troopers.state.ny.us
Please include your
name, address and
telephone number.

I use to live in this area, Marathon, and I knew Buffy and her kids. My daughter was in the same class as her son, Josh, and was playmates with her daughter, Samantha. Also, Buffy's ex-husband, Pat McMahon, was my landlord. The children use to hang out @ my house and are great kids. I still remember making brownies for them. Buffy was estranged from her current husband, Bill Dougherty, and had been court ordered to move out of their Jennings Creek home.
I wish that someone would come forward and tell what they know. This area is very rural and made up of small towns or villages. So, basically, everyone knows everyone's business. I am sure someone knows what happened to Buffy and is afraid to come forward.

http://www.findbethaniedougherty.com/

Bump for Buffy

I use to live in this area, Marathon, and I knew Buffy and her kids. My daughter was in the same class as her son, Josh, and was playmates with her daughter, Samantha. Also, Buffy's ex-husband, Pat McMahon, was my landlord. The children use to hang out @ my house and are great kids. I still remember making brownies for them. Buffy was estranged from her current husband, Bill Dougherty, and had been court ordered to move out of their Jennings Creek home.
I wish that someone would come forward and tell what they know. This area is very rural and made up of small towns or villages. So, basically, everyone knows everyone's business. I am sure someone knows what happened to Buffy and is afraid to come forward.

http://www.findbethaniedougherty.com/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back