1293 users online (233 members and 1060 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    I have read several places, but can't find the link that Jean Smith was ruled out by DNA in 1999.
    The Joan Gaye Croft in Oklahoma City is the same age as the missing Joan Croft, so she can't be a younger sister. Here are a couple of links: This is the white pages listing. http://www.whitepages.com/name/Joan-...ity-OK/9x1i5q2
    This is the non for profit listing with the State of Oklahoma https://www.sos.ok.gov/corp/corpInfo...?id=2100695122

Quote Originally Posted by Ozoner View Post
    I'm skeptical but definitely intrigued. My first thought is that it's someone seeking attention, like the woman who pretended to be Anastasia for years.
    I definitely think it could be someone looking for attention, but to file papers to create a non-profit, they would have to have some identification right? Of course, someone could change their name. My only question is, if they want attention, why not go 100% out into the media. Why a single tweet here, a couple of letters to a newspaper writer, a Facebook account somewhere else. If you are going to the trouble to change your name and do all these things for attention, wouldn't you just come out publicly claiming to be her?
    On the other hand, if it is her, the same question applies. Why drop a few hints here and there?

Quote Originally Posted by Balok35 View Post
    Note that that article is from 1994, which is way before DNA testing became as ubiquitous or accessible as it is now. I seem to recall a more recent update which advised that woman was eventually ruled out by DNA but I can't say for sure and I'm at work so I can't dig around for it. Does anyone else remember?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
    I'm so sorry - when I was searching this article came up as saying it was from a couple of months back. Sorry guys.

Screen Shot 2017-06-19 at 12.53.17 PM.png

Quote Originally Posted by sunnynz View Post
    I'm so sorry - when I was searching this article came up as saying it was from a couple of months back. Sorry guys.

Screen Shot 2017-06-19 at 12.53.17 PM.png
    No worries over here - that does look misleading! I had just recalled reading that awhile back so wanted to chime in

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dogperson View Post
    Here's another question. In one website article I found that the men specifically asked for Joan. Her mother was killed in the tornado and her stepfather seriously wounded. Do we know where her real father was? Was he still alive? Maybe the men were from his side of the family. Did she and her sister have the same father?
    I noticed that too. I wonder if an ancestry search of Joans mother could help solve this. I did not see anywhere if her sister was her half or full sibling. Which could explain why only Joan was taken. If they were not full sisters.
    We're there marital troubles before the disaster? Was the step dad abusive? Did the mothers family take her,and hide her to protect Her?

Quote Originally Posted by AgeofAquaruis View Post
    I noticed that too. I wonder if an ancestry search of Joans mother could help solve this. I did not see anywhere if her sister was her half or full sibling. Which could explain why only Joan was taken. If they were not full sisters.
    We're there marital troubles before the disaster? Was the step dad abusive? Did the mothers family take her,and hide her to protect Her?
    According to Ancestry, Joan Gay Croft was born in 1943 to Cleta Gobel and Hutchinson Olin Croft.

Carol Daun Croft (1935–2008) was from Joan's dad marriage to Haisell Lennis Blasdel (1908-2007)

Hutchinson died in 1986.
    Last edited by Archangel85; 09-15-2017 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel85 View Post
    According to Ancestry, Joan Gay Croft was born in 1943 to Cleta Gobel and Hutchinson Olin Croft.

Carol Daun Croft (1935–2008) was from Joan's dad marriage to Haisell Lennis Blasdel (1908-2007)

Hutchinson died in 1986.
    Very interesting.... the previous info said that Joan's sister Geri was 4 years older than she at the time of her disappearance, and was the one who witnessed her being taken away by 2 men. Perhaps Carol lived with her mom? I wonder what ended up happening to Geri?
    A run-away may leave on purpose, but that doesn't mean that they are able to get back home.... Never stop searching.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieOakley View Post
    Very interesting.... the previous info said that Joan's sister Geri was 4 years older than she at the time of her disappearance, and was the one who witnessed her being taken away by 2 men. Perhaps Carol lived with her mom? I wonder what ended up happening to Geri?

What's more interesting is that the family tree mentions Joan Croft was "kidnapped"

According to this article, it was her cousin Marvella Parks who witnessed everything http://kfor.com/2016/05/05/search-st...-69-years-ago/

Is it possible that in the midst of the chaos the 8 year old mistook one or both of the alleged kidnappers as men? I haven't read all of the info out there, so this may have already been verified, but I think there is a good chance that one or both could have been women, maybe with short hair (and I doubt many women would be wearing any makeup right after a tornado). Maybe I just want to believe that a woman would have less nefarious reasons for taking a child...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4