Feathers fly when K-9 cop confronts intruder

hoppyfrog

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ssf?/base/news-41/1207462575198850.xml&coll=6

6 April 08

When Melissa Spoelma awakened to the sound of someone crashing through her double-paned front bedroom window, she hurriedly rounded up her three children, called police and fled the Riley Street home with the intruder still inside.

From the corner of her eye, she saw what she thought was blue jeans and boots.

But Ottawa County Sheriff's Deputy Sarah Flick and 7-year-old police dog Okar, a German shepherd, quickly learned this was no normal intrusion.

Flick gave a warning for the suspect to surrender and released her dog into the home. Within 25 seconds, the officer heard the struggle.

"It was in another room. The door was closed. You could hear banging on the walls and the dog growling," Flick said.

With her gun drawn, Flick kicked in the door where she saw the broken window, shattered glass covering an infant's crib and Okar with the mortally wounded intruder -- a turkey.

"I was able to ascertain it was not a suspect and called the dog off the turkey," Flick said.

"It's a funny story, but those tom turkeys have huge talons," she noted. "He doesn't know it's a turkey and that turkeys are not bad guys."

The excited 74-pound dog waited eagerly for Flick's next command, but the ordeal was over. Flick gave him an "atta boy," and Ottawa County Animal Control disposed of the mature turkey with 8-inch beard.

Hours later, Okar basked in the attention of the Spoelma's two young girls fawning over him.

more at link (might need to enter a postal code to access article)

Naaaaw, the turkeys got wind of the husbands upcoming turkey hunt and sent a hit turkey after him....:crazy:

Now, why would a big tom turkey crash into her bedroom window?
"Two guesses," said Thomas Getty, zoology professor with the Kellogg Bird Sanctuary in Augusta.
One theory is that the window reflected the sky, and when such birds are scared they can head for the clouds, Getty said.
"Another possibility is that male birds, when full of testosterone, attack anything that looks like a male bird," Getty said.

LOL, my guys have been planning and preparing for a big turkey hunt. They would have been THRILLED if one came to them.

CRIPES! I hear those things are huge.

Revenge of the turkeys. Think about that next time you sit down to a turkey dinner.....'ol Tom might just be planning his revenge. dun dun dun

I am telling ya the boids have had it and are planning a revolt. :eek:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back