The Grid Could Make Internet Obsolete

SeriouslySearching

Reaction score
Now..this will be a dream come true!!! I love the idea of "cloud computing"!

The Internet could soon be made obsolete. The scientists who pioneered it have now built a lightning-fast replacement capable of downloading entire feature films within seconds.

At speeds about 10,000 times faster than a typical broadband connection, “the grid” will be able to send the entire Rolling Stones back catalogue from Britain to Japan in less than two seconds.

The latest spin-off from Cern, the particle physics centre that created the web, the grid could also provide the kind of power needed to transmit holographic images; allow instant online gaming with hundreds of thousands of players; and offer high-definition video telephony for the price of a local call.

~snip~

Ian Bird, project leader for Cern’s high-speed computing project, said grid technology could make the internet so fast that people would stop using desktop computers to store information and entrust it all to the internet.

“It will lead to what’s known as cloud computing, where people keep all their information online and access it from anywhere,” he said.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,347212,00.html (Bolded by me)

It sounds very interesting, SS, but I'm not sure I want to entrust all my information to the internet. Maybe that's optional?

Let me know when WonkaVision kicks in and I can transport myself from one place to another (without shrinking) in milliseconds!

The beauty is...it is not the internet and it won't have the issues we face here with stealing our information.

Hubby was telling me about this.

I thinks its cool!!
Can't wait to sign up!

:D How interesting. I am game to try it!:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

The beauty is...it is not the internet and it won't have the issues we face here with stealing our information.

LOL. Maybe for a week or two. But as long as there are people they will find ways to take what isn't theirs.

One week after it goes online, you'll have the first hacker intrusion.
Two weeks after it goes online, you'll have holographic spam... :eek:

Way to knock us off Cloud 9, Xcom.

:crazy:

I was reading on another forum that this is the right technology to start implanting and tracking people. I'm not saying this or even know how it could be done, but just what I read.

txsvicki, I am not one of those conspiracy freaks (and not saying you are either!), but more and more I see technology bringing us closer to that point. IIRC, I posted an article about a big U.S. company (IBM?) helping China track people like we've seen in movies or read about in books. :eek:

[...]and offer high-definition video telephony for the price of a local call.

Imagine that, having to make sure you don't look like a total idiot every time the phone rings: comb hair, clean teeth, shave face (replace with "makeup applied" if you're a woman), make sure you're not naked, etc. If callers have expect up to 120 rings before someone answers I hardly consider this "progress".

LOL Well...guess my callers will have to get used to me answering in the nude, with my hair a mess, no make-up, and waving at them! :) Small price to pay for such a fabulous access I would say!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
renenoelle
Back