Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by murdershewrote View Post
    Blink...I do hope you will get ahold of the full autopsy with tox report.
    The report in the papers, however, does more or less fit in with your idea that he stopped drinking around Midnight, thus no alcohol in the blood, only in the urine, and that he wasn't that drunk and impaired so he could have had the strength to wander around in the snowstorm for awhile?

But I still have problems with the credit card, if he was on that road because he knew it would lead him to somewhere, why didn't he just stay on it...and the fact that there were places he could have gone into for shelter (hockey rink, gas station, etc.) I imagine lots of places...

Somehow I just can't see him "laying down and going to sleep", although, yes, he could have been exhausted, from skiing all day, probably didn't eat much, then going out to the bars, then trudging around in the snow, could have depleted all his energy, but he was a young, healthy man...and, I mean if he had been in the wilderness for a day or two, I could see it, but he was in the middle of civilization.

I know people get snowblindness during the day (sun reflecting on snow) but can they also get it at night?

Also, do you know if he was wearing a watch?
    Yes he was earing a watch, as I told SS, I am trying to keep it together until I get more info.

Article on Bac vs. urine BAC

If I understand this eye-crossing snorefest of an article, http://books.google.com/books?id=MFb...l=en#PPA362,M1

If I understand this article correctly, there is a way to quanitfy this, I think I need our new friend COF88

What is the family saying about this news? I would imagine it cannot be sitting well with them either.
    "WE SEEK FOR THE TRUTH. WE SEEK JUSTICE.
    THE COURTS REQUIRE IT. THE VICTIMS CRY FOR IT
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

A quote spray painted on the wall by search
    and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.

What I post are my opinions only.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriouslySearching View Post
    What is the family saying about this news? I would imagine it cannot be sitting well with them either.
    I'm trying to get my ducks in a row with the facts first before discussing.

This is easier to understand, Blink:

Urine alcohol concentration (UAC) considerations
    After alcohol is absorbed into the bloodstream of a given individual, it is distributed throughout all body fluids and tissues according to the water content of those fluids or tissues. At any given point in time the UAC will be considerably different from the BAC

After the cessation of drinking the BAC may rise for a period of time. At this point, the UAC will be less than the BAC because of absorption and distribution considerations. Thereafter, the BAC and UAC curves will cross. For some period of time the UAC will continue to rise, whereas the BAC will remain constant (plateau) or begin to decrease. In the fully post-absorptive state, the UAC will always exceed the BAC because of the higher water content for urine compared to that for blood. The peak BAC is generally reached within 30 to 90 minutes after the peak BAC is achieved.

http://www.forcon.ca/learning/alcohol.html
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

Blink, please, please take care of yourself, you know you are in our thoughts and prayers...

thanks, msw, I appreciate that, I am trying my best to get the answers to the oddity in the tox report, it's not my strongest area when it gets down to this level of comparisons- I haven't seen Qunicy Jones since I was a kid?
    Anybody know Dr. G?

Quote Originally Posted by SeriouslySearching View Post
    This is easier to understand, Blink:

Urine alcohol concentration (UAC) considerations
    After alcohol is absorbed into the bloodstream of a given individual, it is distributed throughout all body fluids and tissues according to the water content of those fluids or tissues. At any given point in time the UAC will be considerably different from the BAC

After the cessation of drinking the BAC may rise for a period of time. At this point, the UAC will be less than the BAC because of absorption and distribution considerations. Thereafter, the BAC and UAC curves will cross. For some period of time the UAC will continue to rise, whereas the BAC will remain constant (plateau) or begin to decrease. In the fully post-absorptive state, the UAC will always exceed the BAC because of the higher water content for urine compared to that for blood. The peak BAC is generally reached within 30 to 90 minutes after the peak BAC is achieved.

http://www.forcon.ca/learning/alcohol.html
    That's great info ss, thanks. I think the key to interpreting this is to find a resource to "overlay" this info with the other autopsy facts. What do the translations mean to an 8 week old frozen corpse?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_alcohol_content

Blood alcohol tests assume the individual being tested is average in various ways. For example, on average the ratio of BAC to breath alcohol content (the partition ratio) is 2100 to 1. In other words, there are 2100 parts of alcohol in the blood for every part in the breath. However, the actual ratio in any given individual can vary from 1300:1 to 3100:1, or even more widely. This ratio varies not only from person to person, but within one person from moment to moment. Thus a person with a true blood alcohol level of .08 but a partition ratio of 1700:1 at the time of testing would have a .10 reading on a Breathalyzer calibrated for the average 2100:1 ratio.

A similar assumption is made in urinalysis. When urine is analyzed for alcohol, the assumption is that there are 1.3 parts of alcohol in the urine for every 1 part in the blood, even though the actual ratio can vary greatly.

could you clarify something for me, since I am truly a layman at this...if he had no alcohol in his blood, but only in his urine...would that mean that he passed away say 4-5 hours after he was last seen, as opposed to say 1 or 2 hours?

Quote Originally Posted by Blink34 View Post
    That's great info ss, thanks. I think the key to interpreting this is to find a resource to "overlay" this info with the other autopsy facts. What do the translations mean to an 8 week old frozen corpse?
    OK Let's take this out of medical or technical terms. From what I am reading...Mike was definitely not drunk or impaired at the time of death. The body stops all processes after death. The content of urine would have been residual for testing. With no alcohol found in the blood, it would mean that it had already been metabolized through the liver when he died. At least, this is what I am understanding to be true.

Why don't you put in a call to a local ME in your area? He/She might be able to answer some questions..."OFF THE RECORD".
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

Interesting turn of events. LE has their mind made up and they're sticking to it aren't they?

throwing this out there that the decomposition factor can skew the BAL- bottom line- If he was not drunk at all and had ZERO BAC, a few things:
    he never would have ended up in that field, and he must have been somewhere else where he was not freezing and had time to metabolize- bal can actually continue to rise both after cessation of drinking, and as much as quadruple during phases of hypothermia- thus why so many deaths have secondary alcohol poisoning..
    I know this is personal for me, but this does not make sense, both these reports came out within minutes of each other after I emailed my reporter contacts there- leading me to believe the coroner was never going to release the results publicly if not asked. No comment so far from LE

Quote Originally Posted by SuziQ View Post
    Interesting turn of events. LE has their mind made up and they're sticking to it aren't they?
    LE hasnt made a peep, for once I wish they would, I'd love to hear their explanation of these results. Hypothermia COD without any underlying cause is very rare in this set of circumstances- people survive days/weeks in an avalanche, yet he succumbs in .5 mi sober- seriously??

As I said before, Hypothermia as a COD is determined by lack of other evidence.

By the ME signing off on it, LE closed the case as there is no other evidence to combat the COD. They are missing something, but sounds like they are all taking the easy way out here.

I think the full autopsy report needs to be reevaluated by a third party Forensic Pathologist to answer any lingering questions. As we have learned in the case of Kathleen Savio (Drew Peterson's 3rd wife)...ME's sometimes take things at face value due to the pressure from LE and Coroner's inquests which were done in that case by nonmedical jurists. I don't know what the procedure is in CO, but we should find out.
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast