Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718 LastLast
Results 301 to 325 of 429

Thread: CO - Alphonse Michael "Mike" Barbiere, 23, Breckenridge, Feb 2008 - #2

  1. #301
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sunny East Jabip
    Posts
    5,575
    Quote Originally Posted by murdershewrote View Post
    I think it is something to seriously consider that as someone here suggested, Mike may have intentionally dropped his credit card as a marker. Maybe he knew he was in big trouble (one way or another), and wanted to let somebody know where he was.
    I thought that early on. I guess it cannot actually be ruled out, but the chances of that card, in that scenario, hanging out in a "dotted line" to about 100 yards away Mike's body after 2 months and 3 blizzards, seems implausible to me. In an area that was already searched, and had an early thaw in between storms- I do however believe that the card connects whatever/whoever to Mike's death.

  2. #302
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    19,455
    I think if he was face down it would tell me he was dumped. So as far as the card is concerned, and I do very much see your point, it was deposited there to be a marker after all...just not by Mike.

  3. #303
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sunny East Jabip
    Posts
    5,575
    respectfully, only if he were dead when he got there do I think that. If he were put there and left to die, he could be in any position. Judging from the tox if we think he was alive alot longer than LE said, but succombed to hypothermia, imo, that is the most likely scenario.

  4. #304
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    19,455
    I was just thinking...and it was mentioned on another thread as in fact happening...that this would be a good story for a show like 48hours. But, that's presuming a lot. For the family, it may be just too soon.

  5. #305
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sunny East Jabip
    Posts
    5,575
    LOL.. absolutely it would, I'm working on those avenues, but there are some of the thought that being low key for the time being is best- we'll see.

  6. #306
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    852
    Blink, could you refresh my memory on something, if you know off hand:

    What were the temperatures that night?
    How much snow accummulation was there, say from midnight to 6 am?
    What were the wind speeds?
    When did LE actually close the roads in and out of town?

    Thanks for any info you can provide...

  7. #307
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sunny East Jabip
    Posts
    5,575
    Dont remember the exact temperature, but was not below 35 degrees F, what made it "blizzard like" was the amount of snowfall and the winds in some areas up to 60mph. Le closed Hoosiers Pass and Route 70 early evening. I believe they were opened again at daybreak. Can't say for sure how much accumulation but assume over 6-9" I'll see if I can dig up anything more specific. What I will tell you if you look at pics of patrons, and we know there was traffic through Main st. it was not "disabling" if you wanted to get around. The wind speeds actually caused a power outage earlier that evening

    Power outage was approx 7:30PM, lasted about 2 hours

  8. #308
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    852
    Thanks...I thought it might have been colder than that, although with the wind chill, that can make a huge difference. I grew up in Western/Upstate New York so I know about the wind chill thing.

    But what gets me is that everybody else in all the bars that night seemed to make it home just fine. That is what bothers me the most. The town is small, populated, busy, why would one person be out there wandering around in the snowstorm when nobody else was? That bugs me...

    I'll tell you a story that happened to me a long time ago in my "wild youth". A friend of mine and I went over to see a couple of guys at their apt and during the course of the evening a horrible snowstorm/blizzard started. For reasons I won't go in to, we had to leave the apartment and go out into the elements and walked a long way before we were able to get help...so I'm thinking that maybe Mike went to somebody's place for awhile and then either left on his own or was asked to leave. That's one theory I have on why he would be out there so late, on his own with nobody else around.

  9. #309
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sunny East Jabip
    Posts
    5,575
    Quote Originally Posted by murdershewrote View Post
    Thanks...I thought it might have been colder than that, although with the wind chill, that can make a huge difference. I grew up in Western/Upstate New York so I know about the wind chill thing.

    But what gets me is that everybody else in all the bars that night seemed to make it home just fine. That is what bothers me the most. The town is small, populated, busy, why would one person be out there wandering around in the snowstorm when nobody else was? That bugs me...

    I'll tell you a story that happened to me a long time ago in my "wild youth". A friend of mine and I went over to see a couple of guys at their apt and during the course of the evening a horrible snowstorm/blizzard started. For reasons I won't go in to, we had to leave the apartment and go out into the elements and walked a long way before we were able to get help...so I'm thinking that maybe Mike went to somebody's place for awhile and then either left on his own or was asked to leave. That's one theory I have on why he would be out there so late, on his own with nobody else around.
    Thanks for sharing and I am glad you and your friend were ok-
    I have been hesitant about putting my personal theory out there, but since you hit on it almost exactly, I agree Mike had to have been somewhere else for several hours. I think Mike became incapacitated in some way, and whoever he was with panicked and put him in the field.
    The reason I believe that so strongly is the complete metabolism of alcohol. I think that it had to be at least 2 men, and I think they felt guilty and planted the credit card which fell out when they transported him, possibly undetected for some time, and they arranged for the man with 6 kids to find it. I just need to figure out the who and why part. No matter what, if you dont buy how Mike got to the field someone has to be hiding something

  10. #310
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    33,877
    Blink, I keep going back to the fact that no one else that night had any problems getting home. I also stand by my thought that Mike got to where he was from the skaterink side of the field. The roadside just doesn't make sense with the condos and gas station being so close. Getting lost doesn't make sense either because Mike had been to Breck before right? The credit card throws a kink into that. I think someone felt guilty and dropped the card there. They didn't think it would take so long for someone to find Mike and the reminders of him were all over town. It wasn't going to be over till Mike was found. Now whether the person who planted the card did it for just anyone to find or worked with the guy who found it, who knows. Something to consider though.

    Has it been mentioned whether Mikes wallet was on him? Or the banded bunch of CC's and money?

  11. #311
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    19,455
    Absolutely! That would also explain why he was heading in one direction then found in another. If he had turned around immediately and headed south (?) he would have passed the same stretch he had just been. Not being overly intoxicated, he would have been familiar with his surroundings. Why would he walk past a familiar area? If he wasn't sure where he was, he could have easily stopped back at the bar...or further down at the gas station. I do believe he was brought to that field.
    I also thought about how everyone else ended up safe and sound. Great point!

  12. #312
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sunny East Jabip
    Posts
    5,575
    Quote Originally Posted by SuziQ View Post
    Blink, I keep going back to the fact that no one else that night had any problems getting home. I also stand by my thought that Mike got to where he was from the skaterink side of the field. The roadside just doesn't make sense with the condos and gas station being so close. Getting lost doesn't make sense either because Mike had been to Breck before right? The credit card throws a kink into that. I think someone felt guilty and dropped the card there. They didn't think it would take so long for someone to find Mike and the reminders of him were all over town. It wasn't going to be over till Mike was found. Now whether the person who planted the card did it for just anyone to find or worked with the guy who found it, who knows. Something to consider though.

    Has it been mentioned whether Mikes wallet was on him? Or the banded bunch of CC's and money?
    Exactly- there was a lively bar crowd all eve and you couldnt get in or out of town on 70 by then. Everyone else made it home- I believe you are correct that Mike "got to the field" through the rink access lot, or by the trails in front off Boreas ( I only include this as it is a possibility but i dont know that specific access. This just dawned on me SQ- there was a PLANNED S&R for the weekend of 4/12, the week after they found Mike, which was public. If S&R find him- no reward would be paid, so late afternoon Friday the card is found, but Mike not until Sat, and I can personally tell you that TES contacted Rick Holman on Friday morning and afternoon and was told he was out of town. So there you have it- anyone else think it a koh-ink-y-dink:
    1) Public search announced planned for 4/12.
    2)TES phones LE Thurs aft, 2x on Friday and is told chief out of town, and is refused when asked if they could speak to anyone else on the case, just to verify info that was already given..
    3) Fri afternoon card found, search for an hour, post a cop (for what I dont know if they didnt find anything?) Rest is history.

    I am working on the answers to the other questions, I will post when I get an answer, but I hope everyone will understand, this is an intensely stressful issue for the family right now

  13. #313
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sunny East Jabip
    Posts
    5,575
    Quote Originally Posted by RR0004 View Post
    Absolutely! That would also explain why he was heading in one direction then found in another. If he had turned around immediately and headed south (?) he would have passed the same stretch he had just been. Not being overly intoxicated, he would have been familiar with his surroundings. Why would he walk past a familiar area? If he wasn't sure where he was, he could have easily stopped back at the bar...or further down at the gas station. I do believe he was brought to that field.
    I also thought about how everyone else ended up safe and sound. Great point!
    Exactly- Main ST. is lit up like a christmas tree- AND it was snowing so it was quite bright.
    I just want to say on behalf of the family, his results coming back and the comments that were made about Mike initially have seriously added to the pain of Mike's family., I am determined to see this through, it's wrong the way he/they were treated on top of their loss.

  14. #314
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    19,455
    I agree with you, Blink. I am so saddend by the family's loss and their treatment. I have my own personal opinion about how LE responded in the beginning. To say the least, it infuriated me.
    Please believe me when I tell you, no one I spoke to around here (about his disappearance) put any credence in his walking out of town drunk in a snowstorm. They didn't buy the whole 20 drinks either. I have kids who are about his age- they thought THAT was virtually impossible.
    Very interesting how they found him the weekend BEFORE the organized search. I didn't know about the search, but if I had I'd have gotten on a plane and joined in. I felt the family was left alone to search for their son (for the most part) and it broke my heart.

  15. #315
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sunny East Jabip
    Posts
    5,575
    Thank you RR, we certainly appreciate the compassion. This is really going to have to be dissected to figure out who is responsible for what here- I am getting stuck on the TES reach out the day before as well. I am actually the person that spoke to them so I can vouch for the validity of that occurrence. Feel dumb that I hadn't thought of that before- it gets overwhelming, and maybe it doesnt mean anything, but it certainly is odd

  16. #316
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sunny East Jabip
    Posts
    5,575
    Quote Originally Posted by SuziQ View Post
    Blink, I keep going back to the fact that no one else that night had any problems getting home. I also stand by my thought that Mike got to where he was from the skaterink side of the field. The roadside just doesn't make sense with the condos and gas station being so close. Getting lost doesn't make sense either because Mike had been to Breck before right? The credit card throws a kink into that. I think someone felt guilty and dropped the card there. They didn't think it would take so long for someone to find Mike and the reminders of him were all over town. It wasn't going to be over till Mike was found. Now whether the person who planted the card did it for just anyone to find or worked with the guy who found it, who knows. Something to consider though.

    Has it been mentioned whether Mikes wallet was on him? Or the banded bunch of CC's and money?
    SQ- answer, Mike DID NOT have a wallet that eve. AND his cash and other credit cards were found in his PANTS pocket. The theory was that he lost his card while going over the railing as it was carried in his outer ski coat because he paid for his lift ticket with it earlier. Personally- who skiis with your loose amex card in your coat pocket- no way-

  17. #317
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    916
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink34 View Post
    Thanks for sharing and I am glad you and your friend were ok-
    I have been hesitant about putting my personal theory out there, but since you hit on it almost exactly, I agree Mike had to have been somewhere else for several hours. I think Mike became incapacitated in some way, and whoever he was with panicked and put him in the field.
    The reason I believe that so strongly is the complete metabolism of alcohol. I think that it had to be at least 2 men, and I think they felt guilty and planted the credit card which fell out when they transported him, possibly undetected for some time, and they arranged for the man with 6 kids to find it. I just need to figure out the who and why part. No matter what, if you dont buy how Mike got to the field someone has to be hiding something

    Blink, sounds VERY plausible to me. Did he have his coat and boots on if you are able to answer that?

  18. #318
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    916
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink34 View Post
    So there you have it- anyone else think it a koh-ink-y-dink:
    1) Public search announced planned for 4/12.
    2)TES phones LE Thurs aft, 2x on Friday and is told chief out of town, and is refused when asked if they could speak to anyone else on the case, just to verify info that was already given..
    3) Fri afternoon card found, search for an hour, post a cop (for what I dont know if they didnt find anything?) Rest is history.

    I am working on the answers to the other questions, I will post when I get an answer, but I hope everyone will understand, this is an intensely stressful issue for the family right now

    This is news to me. I had no idea about TES and the sherriff. Wonder if the family can hire a PI and get some info on the "mystery searcher with 6 kids" and see how he could be involved. I dont believe in coincidences. Someone led him to that body.

    One last thing I forget to ask you Blink- did he have a cell phone or did they even work up there?

  19. #319
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    916
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink34 View Post
    SQ- answer, Mike DID NOT have a wallet that eve. AND his cash and other credit cards were found in his PANTS pocket. The theory was that he lost his card while going over the railing as it was carried in his outer ski coat because he paid for his lift ticket with it earlier. Personally- who skiis with your loose amex card in your coat pocket- no way-
    Did he usually carry his money this way? I am guilty of grabbing an id, cc, and some cash if I dont feel like bringing my purse on a small errand. -dumb, I know.

  20. #320
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    19,455
    From what I read, he did not have his cell phone with him. They were initially able to identify him by his jacket peeking through the snow so he did have that on. Blink says he had a hat and boots on him that evening. As far as the Amex card is concerned, I can see him putting it in his jacket pocket if it was the last card he used when he was out bar hopping. Did he use it to buy drinks that night, Blink? I do not believe it coincidentally "fell out" of his jacket in direct line where they found him...much more to that. I thought the searcher's story was odd. If you're looking for a person, why are you looking on the plowed roads...and I imagine in the beginning of April the roads were pretty clear. Yes, he may have been looking for loose change as it's been reported that he has done in the past...but if you were looking for a person wouldn't you be looking off the beaten path, so to speak? I am glad that locating the card led to Mike's discovery and subsequently his return home.

  21. #321
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    19,455
    Also...as I am a novice here...what is TES? Sorry for being such a dummy, but I want to make sure I'm following everything along correctly.

  22. #322
    I haven't forgotten about Mike or you either Blink! (Back to work meant nap as soon as I came home! I will have to juggle things around while getting back into the swing here for a bit.) Hugs~
    "WE SEEK FOR THE TRUTH. WE SEEK JUSTICE.
    THE COURTS REQUIRE IT. THE VICTIMS CRY FOR IT
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

    A quote spray painted on the wall by search
    and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.



    What I post are my opinions only.

  23. #323
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    916
    Quote Originally Posted by RR0004 View Post
    Also...as I am a novice here...what is TES? Sorry for being such a dummy, but I want to make sure I'm following everything along correctly.

    I had the same question when I started also RR- It is Texas Equisearch- It was founded by a wonderful man named Tim Miller- Im pretty sure he lost his daughter to a horrible death and has vowed to help search for missing persons-

    He/TES has access or even owns many high tech search and sonar equip as well as lots of horses to cover big territories- I consider him in the ranks of a John Walsh or Mark Klaas (and any others I KNOW I have missed). He has dedicated his life to find the missing and Im sure you will hear much more about him.

    Im sure I have missed some details, but this is the jist of what TES is, and any other posters, feel free to jump in and add any details- He is a wonderful man and most searches are done voluntarily if Im not mistaken.

    BTW RR- Welscome to WS- dont remember if I welcomed you yet, but noticed youre new- enjoy WS- Its addicting!
    Last edited by Chicogirl36; 04-22-2008 at 01:01 PM.

  24. #324
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    33,877
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink34 View Post
    SQ- answer, Mike DID NOT have a wallet that eve. AND his cash and other credit cards were found in his PANTS pocket. The theory was that he lost his card while going over the railing as it was carried in his outer ski coat because he paid for his lift ticket with it earlier. Personally- who skiis with your loose amex card in your coat pocket- no way-
    Even if he did carry the card in his pocket, you'd have to consider how snowboard and ski jackets are made. All the younger people in my family snowboard or ski. I can tell you from doing their laundry, the pockets are made to where nothing falls out, nothing, not even after going through the washer and dryer. I've seen my kids pull out ruined cell phones, lift passes, ipods, money, etc. Between the overflaps and velcro the pockets are locked up tighter than Fort Knox.

    I appreciate what the family is going through. I'm not a member of Mike's family and I'm offended by what has been put out there about Mike's drinking. I can't imagine what his family is feeling. Whatever info you can get and whenever you can get it is fine.

  25. #325
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sunny East Jabip
    Posts
    5,575
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicogirl36 View Post
    Blink, sounds VERY plausible to me. Did he have his coat and boots on if you are able to answer that?
    He had his coat, boots, and a hat.

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Found Deceased CO - Alphonse Michael "Mike" Barbiere, 23, Breckenridge, Feb 2008 - #3
    By christine2448 in forum Located Forum Discussion
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 04-06-2011, 12:16 AM
  2. 2008.07.30 Mike K. Interview Only - (Mgr at Kodak)
    By Patty G in forum Caylee Anthony 2 years old
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-27-2008, 08:00 PM
  3. Found Deceased CO - Alphonse Michael "Mike" Barbiere, 23, Breckenridge, Feb 2008 - #1
    By hipmamajen in forum Located Forum Discussion
    Replies: 668
    Last Post: 04-09-2008, 12:41 AM
  4. Found Deceased WI - Michael R. Bedford, 58, Glendale, 15 Feb 2008
    By hoppyfrog in forum Located! Information and Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-03-2008, 08:43 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •