720 users online (91 members and 629 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

State Funded Muslim school?

http://www.startribune.com/local/17406054.html

The MN Dept of Education is investigating a state supported Muslim school. The public prayers and curriculum may (and probably do) violate state laws. If what is alleged is true, this is unbelievable.

Ever since charter schools were started, keeping religion out of them has been a struggle. This one is only making headlines because of the Muslim affiliation.

Quote Originally Posted by luthersmama View Post
    Ever since charter schools were started, keeping religion out of them has been a struggle. This one is only making headlines because of the Muslim affiliation.
    Never the less, it is still an outrage!

There was a charter school in Greene County AL that made the news, by setting the boundaries to only include white, wealthy students.

Is this why taxes go up?

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    Is this why taxes go up?
    Of COURSE it's why our taxes go up!

Our charter schools down here don't have religious affiliations. Mostly they just turn out even more dropouts and flunkouts than the public schools. Which in Louisiana is hard to do.

Ahh, Louisiana, home of the "goodoleboy' style of government-------although I have great hopes that Gov. Jindal is going to do his very, very best to change that!-------and a few years ago, my husband and I jumped on the "Just Say No" bandwagon. I will NEVER vote for another tax: I pay enough so that the government should be able to do everything it NEEDS to do. It just has to quit doing the things it "wants" to do at the expense of the "needs."

Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by golfmom View Post
    There was a charter school in Greene County AL that made the news, by setting the boundaries to only include white, wealthy students.
    That is just as outrageous!

As a Christian who firmly believes in seperation of church and state this is most distressing. But its not because it's a muslim school. I'm equally as distressed if christian organizations get federal money. Look no further than the Office of Faith-based Initiatives.

Now I know some are gonna immediately jump on me as Bush basher or something. But that would be totally missing my point. NO tax dollars should go to ANY religious entity, regardless of affiliation. I just don't want this thread to degenerate into a muslim-bashing forum. None of us are in position to judge others religion.

Quote Originally Posted by RWill1974 View Post
    As a Christian who firmly believes in seperation of church and state this is most distressing. But its not because it's a muslim school. I'm equally as distressed if christian organizations get federal money. Look no further than the Office of Faith-based Initiatives.

Now I know some are gonna immediately jump on me as Bush basher or something. But that would be totally missing my point. NO tax dollars should go to ANY religious entity, regardless of affiliation. I just don't want this thread to degenerate into a muslim-bashing forum. None of us are in position to judge others religion.
    I agree! Good post.

Quote Originally Posted by deanws View Post
    I agree! Good post.
    Thanks!

I just hope there are others on here who also agree. It's just so weird these days. To some people having this view automatically prompts them to label you a flaming liberal. Not that I have anything against a flaming liberal per se but it's just mind-boggling. Seperation of church and state is time-honored conservative view. But don't tell that to the neo-cons.

Quote Originally Posted by RWill1974 View Post

Excellent points all around. And that comes from a flaming liberal who realizes that church/state separation is a conservative value.

I agree totally with all of your posts, RWill.

Southwestern Maine is home but I'm not there nearly often enough
    Yes, I would have to agree. In the beginning of charter schools the media was paying close attention to attempts by certain religious groups to appropriate the agenda of certain schools, these groups were usually, but not always, of the Christian fundamentalist variant. Such groups that are perceived as extremist were often suspected of wanting to establish state-funded schools that would teach "their" curriculum instead of having to establish costly and therefore restricted-access private schools for this purpose. These attempts usually failed due to state regulations so the media set off on a search for an alternative type of extremist religion that could possibly attempt to take over one or more charter schools.

Prior to September 11 Islam was not a good candidate for a witch hunt as it was only perceived as some sort of odd religion for boxing stars and inmates to loosely convert to when in need of publicity. Now that for many of us (the public) Muslim and terrorist are practically synonymous it sells much more paper than it used to.

I don't agree that Muslims should be allowed to turn a charter school into a religious school, no more that I agree that any religious group should be allowed to impose their agenda on any charter school be they Christian, Buddhist, Taoist, Hindu or Grand Wazoo worshipers. Religion as a way of life doesn't belong in schools. Being taught about religion is fine, being indoctrinated in a religion is a choice that should not be made for one by one's teachers.

Here's another link.

State law requires schools to display an American flag during school hours, yet there is no flag outside the school. The principal stated he doesn't know how to work the flag pole.

http://kstp.com/article/stories/S407036.shtml?cat=1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast