Hackers assault epileptics via computer :(

Taximom

Former Member
Reaction score
This makes me FURIOUS.
http://www.wired.com/politics/security/news/2008/03/epilepsy
The nonprofit Epilepsy Foundation, which runs the forum, briefly closed the site Sunday to purge the offending messages and to boost security.

The incident, possibly the first computer attack to inflict physical harm on the victims, began Saturday, March 22, when attackers used a script to post hundreds of messages embedded with flashing animated gifs.
The attackers turned to a more effective tactic on Sunday, injecting JavaScript into some posts that redirected users' browsers to a page with a more complex image designed to trigger seizures in both photosensitive and pattern-sensitive epileptics.
RyAnne Fultz, a 33-year-old woman who suffers from pattern-sensitive epilepsy, says she clicked on a forum post with a legitimate-sounding title on Sunday. Her browser window resized to fill her screen, which was then taken over by a pattern of squares rapidly flashing in different colors.
Fultz says she "locked up."
(much more at link) :furious:

What kind of people would even think of doing something so cruel? This kind of abuse of people and the internet makes me so angry!:furious:

OMG! That is so mean! I have seizures that had acted up years ago with blinking lights and it was horrid. Bus rides on sunny days, bars and video games all aggravated it. I still have problems if my husband scrolls the monitor too fast if we are both looking on the computer together.

What kind of people would want others to have seizures? What if she had a grand mal and hurt herself.

Some of the comment sections I've seen at two different sites are trying to blame the Church of Scientology for it? Or a hacker group called anon? :waitasec: :confused: I don't know. Whoever did it is so heartless and cruel. I will never understand the mentality of people like that. I hope they go to hell.

That is mean beyond mean. :furious:
Why are people so evil?

Cruelty, absolute cruelty. This is despicable, and I hope the slimes who did this are caught and justice hits them square on. I hurt for these poor people that this happened to. It just gives me a pain inside my gut.

Lion

That is just sick. Why on earth would anyone do such a thing? Is it because the internet is anonymous? And to be the recipient of such an attack, to know that nameless, hate-filled people targeted you because of your illness..

It will always get worse. There is more evil out there than we'll ever comprehend. Seems if God doesn't do something soon he may owe Sodom and Gamorrha (sp?) an apology.

That is beyond cruel. Can they be charged with assault if they find out who is responsible?

I belong to that board and this story just pizzes me off.

Epilepsy Foundation Takes Action Against Hackers
Landover, MD, March 31, 2008— The Epilepsy Foundation’s quick reaction to a recent attack by hackers on one of its online forums raises awareness of the need for Web security for some health organizations. On Easter weekend, the Epilepsy Foundation—and those who use its online forums for help, support, suggestions and camaraderie—came under attack by people who posted rapidly flashing images to cause serious injury and harm. The type of epilepsy that causes people to experience seizures upon seeing flashing or flickering images is photosensitive epilepsy.
http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/aboutus/pressroom/action_against_hackers.cfm

People can be so cruel. This world never ceases to amaze me...:furious:

Flickering lights don't usually bother me as far as bringing on a seizure. I did have one many years ago when I opened powered up my new laptop and the background had lots of crazy colors and patterns. I haven't had one triggered by lights/patterns since, but I'm always aware. Sick, cruel people.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back