Additives DO harm children

Floh

Former Member
Reaction score
Additives DO harm children - and a ban could cut child hyperactivity by a third, say scientists

The number of hyperactive children could be cut by a third by banning suspect food additives, it is claimed today.
The finding by British scientists will put pressure on the Food Standards Agency to force manufacturers to stop using the "E-number" chemicals.
The researchers believe that removing artificial colours from children's foods, including cakes, drinks and sweets, would bring significant health and social benefits.
Thousands of children would avoid the blight on their education caused by hyperactive behaviour, which can mean they are labelled slow and disruptive.

More: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=558368&in_page_id=1770

Surely people have known this for years?

Whole foods!!! Stay away from the junk.

The sad thing is some of these chemicals are not just in food, which would be easy to avoid by reading the ingredient label. These are also in medications, vitamins, shampoos, etc.

:(

I would think so, Floh... how weird. Maybe the Daily Mail had to fill some space, ha.

Never quite understood the heated discussions about these topics, btw. A bit ago I was blasted on another board for saying I think high fructose corn syrup is the devil. Well, not in those words, but I explained what happened to both me and my DD when I cut it out of our diets - we both felt a lot better and lost some weight without changing anything else. Of course that couldn't be true according to others. Um I just told you? :rolleyes: But I don't care if they believe me or not to be honest, I know what it did to us and what happened when I cut it out.... it's not my body you're hurting by not believing me.

Same goes with E's... DD never had a problem with them... my little cousins did lots though. Their mom cut those out (or the most horribkle ones according to reasearch) and the change in them was like night and day. Just because DD didn't seem to react to them doesn't make them harmless to her, so after seeing that, most of the time I pay attention to that as well.

Whole foods indeed!

Well high fructose corn syrup IS the devil, IMO! :furious: :furious: :furious:

Oh, no no no. This is complete and utter bunk. See, it was a finding by a British study? The FDA says that all these additives, colorings, chemicals, and such are safe! That there's no connection between their approved food additives and cancers, poor health, obesity, and behavioral difficulties! And we all know that the FDA never gets it wrong! So stop worrying!

/heavy sarcasm with eyes rolling so hard my optic nerves are cramping.

Oh, no no no. This is complete and utter bunk. See, it was a finding by a British study? The FDA says that all these additives, colorings, chemicals, and such are safe! That there's no connection between their approved food additives and cancers, poor health, obesity, and behavioral difficulties! And we all know that the FDA never gets it wrong! So stop worrying!

/heavy sarcasm with eyes rolling so hard my optic nerves are cramping.

Phew! until your last line i was about to blow a gasket! :blowkiss:

JE, YES, you speak the truth about high fructose corn syrup. Since companies started using it instead of more expensive sugar, it has messed with our insulin levels and IMO causes the obesity and diabetes problems we have now. (Well, it's the people that eat it that make themselves sick.) It's in everything, but mostly junky foods and drinks. JE, what made you get it out of your life? Good for you!!!

Lisahas2cats, that was hilarious. ARGH FDA ARGH.

the farther away the food gets fom the field, the worse it is.

I'm wary of food from the field nowadays with all the pesticides and genetic modifications they make. :( But it is better than all the icky processed foods.

Yes. My cousin was extememly hyperactive and was put on restrictive diet back in the 70's.

Pushing pills is easier I guess

Yes. My cousin was extememly hyperactive and was put on restrictive diet back in the 70's.

Pushing pills is easier I guess

NO, not easier ....more lucrative!!:mad:

JE, YES, you speak the truth about high fructose corn syrup. Since companies started using it instead of more expensive sugar, it has messed with our insulin levels and IMO causes the obesity and diabetes problems we have now. (Well, it's the people that eat it that make themselves sick.) It's in everything, but mostly junky foods and drinks. JE, what made you get it out of your life? Good for you!!!

You have to ask my while my memory is horrible don't you... LOL. I'm going to sound like a ditz but I don't exactly remember. I'm pretty sure it was because I came across someone posting about it somewhere, and being curious as I am, looked into it further. I think what got me was people describing the changes they felt after cutting it out, and I recognized the 'before symptoms'. So I just gave it a try and I am not kidding when I say I felt better within days. I used to have terrible problems with irritable bowel syndrome/spastic colon for example, and that has been about 90% better since then, and the 10% left could be from being pregnant because that's supposed to make IBS worse! I was stunned at the changes I felt.

Additives DO harm children - and a ban could cut child hyperactivity by a third, say scientists

The number of hyperactive children could be cut by a third by banning suspect food additives, it is claimed today.
The finding by British scientists will put pressure on the Food Standards Agency to force manufacturers to stop using the "E-number" chemicals.
The researchers believe that removing artificial colours from children's foods, including cakes, drinks and sweets, would bring significant health and social benefits.
Thousands of children would avoid the blight on their education caused by hyperactive behaviour, which can mean they are labelled slow and disruptive.

More: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=558368&in_page_id=1770

i dont have kids, but i am around kids all the time and honestly the additives in food are only a slight problem when it comes to child hyperactivity. i think that if they take out food coloring and things like that they would loose money ie...cakes with colorful icing who wants icing that is just white? not me...not kids....leave it be hyperactivity is inevitable no matter what!

i dont have kids, but i am around kids all the time and honestly the additives in food are only a slight problem when it comes to child hyperactivity. i think that if they take out food coloring and things like that they would loose money ie...cakes with colorful icing who wants icing that is just white? not me...not kids....leave it be hyperactivity is inevitable no matter what!

Wishful thinking by me for the US government to start using REAL sugar in soft drinks again rather than high fructose corn syrup since the price of corn is going up due to ethanol production.

What I don't understand is why RAW milk is so expensive, and organic fruit & vegetables?

What I don't understand is why RAW milk is so expensive, and organic fruit & vegetables?

In general (and in my opinion), raw milk is expensive because it's illegal and there's high demand for it. We lucked into a woman who sells it and it's less expensive than store milk ($3.50 a gallon). I only buy store milk now if "our" cow is dry.

I'd guess that organic fruits/veggies are so expensive partly because people are willing to pay the money, and mostly because there's more crop loss involved (since they don't use pesticides, artificial fertilizers, etc).

I think it is because it has to be sold under such rigid requirements. It also has to be handled (the milk) under very pristine circumstances since its not going to have anything "boiled" out of it through homogenization.

With free range eggs and the organic produce I would imagine it is the same because it takes more work on the part of the provider.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahlm8627
Back