774 users online (99 members and 675 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

VT - Nicholas Garza, 19, Middlebury College student, 5 Feb 2008 - #2

LOTS of new information in this piece by Seven Days. I'm sure this article will generate a lot of discussion...

http://www.7dvt.com/2008/missing-nick#

Link to 1st Thread Discussion

Last edited by christine2448; 04-10-2008 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Link to 1st Thread Discussion

wow, that article has alot of new information in it...and seems we are seeing a better picture of Nick's last week. The things that jump out at me are that he lived with guys (dungeon guys) that did drink heavily and one was drinking heavily that night, so it's very possible he was egged on to do the same (if he wasn't used to drinking he would have less tolerance and feel the effects faster); he and his friend did buy liquor a few days prior but what is most disturbing to me is...

He wrote an email about suicide (the quote "that was Nick being Nick", doesn't sound good to me, what does that mean, was he obsessed with death or something?) and that he had made a romantic overture to somebody and was rejected. Alcohol, being lonely that week, suicide emails, and rejection, plus cold cloudy weather when you aren't used to it can make one very depressed. And these kids could still be hiding information from LE.

I'm afraid the family doesn't really want to acknowledge that their son might have been really struggling at college. I'm sure they didn't know it before all this happened. College kids can and do hide alot of what's really going on in their lives.

I do think LE has done a good, thorough job from what the police chief has said. They can only do so much, especially with the weather they had this year.

Look at Mike Barbiere, he was found frozen under 6 feet of snow, and only because a private citizen was out looking and mostly because of the reward. So we never know who will find Nick, I just pray that he is found, for the sake of his loving family.

Thanks Christine- I am at work now, shhhhhhhhh , but I and got to see the river/creek slides- It looks dangerous- I will read this new info later and get back to when I get home

Quote Originally Posted by christine2448 View Post
    Dearest Christine,

Thank you so much for starting a new thread.

So much Love and Respect for you,
    dark_shadows

Quote Originally Posted by Chicogirl36 View Post
    Thanks Christine- I am at work now, shhhhhhhhh , but I and got to see the river/creek slides- It looks dangerous- I will read this new info later and get back to when I get home
    Dearest Chicogirl,
    I am glad that you had a chance to look at the video and photos that vermontn03 posted last night on the first thread (the post before the thread was locked and continued here). She does a very good job of posting articles and info.

dark_shadows

Meh, I don't know what to think anymore. It's possible his family is in denial....I do believe that parents know their children well, but not always as well as we think (i.e. Scott Peterson and his parents). THere's just really nothing to go on, it is literally like he vanished into thin air....and unless I missed it there was no mention of the cabin being searched.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.---Patrick Moynihan
    Living in the

someone posted last week I think it was, that the cabin had been searched right after he went missing and nothing was found. If true, that was the first confirmation we had gotten on that. I did notice in that latest article that the Police Chief didn't make any mention of a cabin search, however, unless I missed it. He mentioned just about everything else.

I know one thing, that Nike is somewhere out there. I do think the answer lies in the creek but that's just my gut feel.

OK, I'm going to throw something out there that I hinted at before, and you can flame me to your heart's content:

I think Nick was coming out, made a pass at a guy, got rebuffed and jumped into the Otter.

Thin evidence of any of this, but I would bet you a beer.

Quote Originally Posted by thefragile7393 View Post
    Meh, I don't know what to think anymore. It's possible his family is in denial....I do believe that parents know their children well, but not always as well as we think (i.e. Scott Peterson and his parents). THere's just really nothing to go on, it is literally like he vanished into thin air....and unless I missed it there was no mention of the cabin being searched.
    Dearest Thefragile,
    Hello.
    There is nothing from here indicating that the cabin was searched. A link to a newspaper message board had a post from a person claiming that at the start of the investigation, the cabin was searched as well as a vehicle the students rode in. Anyone can post on that board without conformation of who they are. All searches have been made public here in Vermont and there has been nothing about a search of the cabin. Due to the national attention of this case, there is always a report from the media where the searches take place. Also New Hampshire news media would have reported if a place was searched pertaining to Nick and his disappearence. They would have been right on that one knowing that it a cabin there was mentioned at the begining.

dark_shadows

I think we need to have an open mind about the "They should search the cabin" theory.

If the kids that went to the cabin left earlier in the day or the day before, and Nick was last seen at about 11 pm saying that he was going to see "Jonathan" or back to his dorm or whatever there would be no reason to search the cabin. He could not have gone there at that point. The kid who said he "might" have gone there probably isn't among the last folks to see him. And it now appears that the people who saw him last believed he was hammered. Not a good way to set out on a hitchhike to the next state in a snowstorm at nighttime.

I think the whole cabin thing is a total red herring. And I bet they did send someone up there to have a look. They haven't spilled all the beans.

Quote Originally Posted by dark_shadows View Post
    Dearest Chicogirl,
    I am glad that you had a chance to look at the video and photos that vermontn03 posted last night on the first thread (the post before the thread was locked and continued here). She does a very good job of posting articles and info.

dark_shadows
    Yes, I do agree ds, she does a great job. And sounds like a wonderful mom to boot
    I think I mentioned before, its really nice to have such locals to get that local info . It makes it even better because both you and vermontn03 are both up to the minute and informative in your posts. I sneak on at work to check, so please shhhhhh....lol (and today was so pleased about CL's arrest in Mexico btw) and its nice to be able to skim thru and get such great info. Unfortunately we have grim outcomes when we get together, but when you are following particular cases, it is great. Keep up the awesome postings BOTH of you. You really are an asset to WS- thank you to you and ALL of the others that have posted such great info-

Sorry I didnt mention more names, but ALL of you do a wonderful job posting. I cant believe how fast most of you are at coming up with your facts and theories. Thank you all for the great posts. I am fairly new, and y'all got me hooked!! TYSM .

Quote Originally Posted by dark_shadows View Post
    SNIP 4 room: All searches have been made public here in Vermont and there has been nothing about a search of the cabin. Due to the national attention of this case, there is always a report from the media where the searches take place. Also New Hampshire news media would have reported if a place was searched pertaining to Nick and his disappearence. They would have been right on that one knowing that it a cabin there was mentioned at the begining.
    TY for this info. I have been thinking maybe they just didnt release this info- Clears it up for me.

Quote Originally Posted by arcadia03 View Post
    LOTS of new information in this piece by Seven Days. I'm sure this article will generate a lot of discussion...

http://www.7dvt.com/2008/missing-nick#

Wow!! What a powerful and moving article. This sums up so much for us.

I think any anyone who previously did not come forward with info, and now read this ..they would feel compelled to let LE and his family know what they know.

Prayers and hugs for his family

Middlebury College singing group suspended for hazing

Quote Originally Posted by dark_shadows
    Questions I have....
    The question of the cabin is brought up many times here.

How did the students that went to the cabin get there?

Was it by their own personal vehicle(s) or does the college have a van that they could have lent out due to the fact that it would not be in use during the vacation break. Does the college own a blue shuttle van?

The reason that I ask this is because while I was searching for videos on YouTube a few weeks ago I found a video that was taken at Middlebury College and the ones involved in the video are using a blue van with decals on it that could appear to be a campus vehicle. The video is named "The Abduction". Click below for the video. (the video info clearly states that it is Middlebury College. The person recording the video is pecking away on a computer keyboard you can clearly hear that on the video.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1hfEBPketA

It is disturbing that that this video was made in broad daylight on campus and that even the passersby were oblivious.

My opinion only and a question..did Nick fall prey to a hazing? Again this is just a question.

So if in fact this is a campus vehicle being used for a video like this that has nothing at all to do with transporting students around campus, what is the criteria for using the van.
    In our media, it was reported that a friend reported that Nick could have gone to a cabin in New Hampshire.
    Here is the link;
    http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a...802130306/1009

Why did that person think that Nick went to the cabin? Did he/she know of a conversation pertaining to Nick being asked to go to the cabin? What knowledge prompted the person to state what was quoted in this news article; "Another friend then told the officer that Garza likely had gone with a group of friends to a cabin in New Hampshire, where there was no cell-phone coverage." (that is from the link that I posted above this paragraph.)
    So when and where was Nick's cell phone turned off? We have read reports as to when his phone was last used, but when and where was it powered off. What was the last known tower to get a signal from his phone?

Were the computers in the college computer lab checked?

Is hazing something to look into?
    The college has policies about hazing, but what if an underground fraternity was undetected?
    Hazing at Middlebury College and this said about a study;
    From the link.
    Hazing Incidents End Two Teams' Seasons
    Middlebury College.

A study by Colleen McGlone at the University of New Mexico revealed widespread hazing with more than 20% (approximately 11,000) of Division I athletes subjected to alcohol-related hazing. Even more student athletes were subjected to "mental hazing," which includes singing or dancing, practical jokes and being stranded or "kidnapped" while one in ten was subjected to physical hazing, such as being branded, tattooed, beaten, thrown in water or having their head forcibly shaved.
    Click here for that link from 2/6/2006;
    http://www.collegeswimming.com/news/...teams-seasons/

Respectfully,
    dark_shadows
    In reply to post #235 from the first thread from dark_shadows.

Here is a link that was in our local newspaper.

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a.../NEWS/80411056
    Last edited by christine2448; 04-14-2008 at 11:30 PM. Reason: posters request

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast