Thread: Mary Lauterbach: 'I want women to be better protected'

Seven is offline 1984 All Over Again:The Collective Rules

Mary Lauterbach: 'I want women to be better protected'

Mother of slain Marine: 'I want women to be better protected'

Mary Lauterbach has sent a list of more than 30 questions to the commandant of the U.S. Marine Corps, Gen. James Conway, through her congressman. She says she's unconvinced her daughter's rape allegation against Laurean was treated seriously.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/04/07/...ine/index.html

". . . Rep. Michael Turner, who submitted questions to the Marines on behalf of the woman's Ohio family, said the corps took seven months to investigate Lance Cpl. Maria Lauterbach's allegation that she was raped by Cpl. Cesar Laurean and that it resulted in little action. . . . The actions taken by the Marine Corps to protect Lance Corporal Maria Lauterbach were totally inadequate," said Turner, a Republican whose district includes the Lauterbach's home in Vandalia."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,350048,00.html

I wonder if one, single thing will be changed?
    Last edited by Seven; 04-11-2008 at 01:35 PM.

Resistance is futile!
    You will be assimilated!
    By the Collective!

I do think something will have to be changed in view of the outcome of this case. The outcry from the public, the Congressmen, the family, and possibly other Marines (past and present) might make them take a serious look at a long ongoing problem and make some adjustments in deal with rape cases. At least, I would hope they would do the right thing for their female troops.
    "WE SEEK FOR THE TRUTH. WE SEEK JUSTICE.
    THE COURTS REQUIRE IT. THE VICTIMS CRY FOR IT
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

A quote spray painted on the wall by search
    and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.

What I post are my opinions only.

And I am sure there are other types of "abuse" that go on that do not get properly investigated because the person reporting it was a female. On the same token, I'm sure that there are a majority of "abuses" that don't get reported because of the lack of any investigation by their Superiors.

Hopefully, this will change with new regulations placed on all military bases in the handling of reports of any type of abuse.

The congressman has promised to pursue policy changes through his congressional committee. It is an armed forces committee. Other members of the committee have agreed. I posted the story about the response to his letter on the media link thread yesterday.

Mary Lauterbauch has set up a foundation to protect women who are victims of sexual assult.

There is a book being published in June about the abuse of women in the military written by a victim. She is going to discuss her own case, this case and others. The title is Conduct Unbecoming. It it suppossed to document a lot about the problems.

Every woman I know who has been in the military has been sexually assaulted by her *stellar* superior officers.

Anybody who doubts that Maria was raped should ask themselves why Maria's mother is placing so much emphasis on this issue. It is real. It is a huge problem.

If anybody can find the 30 questions which the Congressman sent to the Marines or the Marines response, please post them. I have only been able to find a brief media blurb. I would love to read the whole exchange, and it seems it should be public. Thanks.

It is important for the mother to be heard. This will address issues with women in the Marine Cor. I am glad to see the mother become an advocate for Maria, after her unsupportive nature prior to her death and the 4 weeks she was missing after the fact, she's now stepping forward and demanding answers. Good for her!!

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by KR2tonenow View Post
    It is important for the mother to be heard. This will address issues with women in the Marine Cor. I am glad to see the mother become an advocate for Maria, after her unsupportive nature prior to her death and the 4 weeks she was missing after the fact, she's now stepping forward and demanding answers. Good for her!!
    I agree, this is the same mother that said Maria was prone to overexaggeration, Gee maybe if her own mother and the Marines had believed Maria's rape allegations, maybe Maria would still be alive today!!!
    Please help locate Mark Dribin http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ht=Mark+Dribin and Ilene Misheloff http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...lene+Misheloff and bring them home.

Mary Lauterbauch and Congressman Mike Turner talk to Secretary of Defense and others on Capital Hill

http://www.wdtn.com/global/story.asp?s=8222889