Woman says pharmacist denied her birth-control prescription

forbidn2u2

Reaction score
Okay, I've heard it all now. The pharmacist denied a customer her birth control pills because they are "not right" and could cause cancer. Come on, who's choice is it anyway ?

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/news/state/033004_APstate_birthcontrol.html

(3/30/04 - FORT WORTH, TX) — A first-grade teacher says she is troubled that a pharmacist refused to fill her birth-control prescription, citing personal objections to contraception.

Julee Lacey, who has been married nine years and has two children, said she went to a CVS drug store in North Richland Hills, a Fort Worth suburb, on Sunday night but left empty-handed. Other pharmacists there had filled her birth-control prescription previously, she said.

"What happens if next time she decides not to fill something else?" Lacey, 32, said Tuesday. "When you go to a pharmacy with a doctor's prescription, you expect it to be filled. More than anything, I want people to be aware this can happen."

The pharmacist told her she could go to another store, but Lacey said driving there and filling out paperwork as a new customer would have taken too much time. When Lacey's husband went to the CVS a short time later, the pharmacist continued refusing and said birth control "was not right" and that the pills cause cancer, Lacey said.

But a store supervisor apologized and said CVS would examine its policy, Lacey said, and an employee delivered the pills to her home Monday night. She said she is not sure if she will remain a CVS customer and plans to file a complaint about that pharmacist with the Texas State Board of Pharmacy.

State law allows pharmacists to decline filling prescriptions if the medication could harm the patient but not for moral reasons, according to the board.

CVS officials did not return calls to The Associated Press seeking comment Tuesday.

A CVS spokesman told Dallas-Fort Worth television station KXAS that the company supports its pharmacists who have a deeply held belief -- but that in such cases, the store is supposed to help the customer by having another pharmacist fill the prescription or by calling a competing store.

Earlier this year an Eckerd pharmacist in Denton was fired after he, citing religious convictions, declined to fill a rape victim's prescription for the emergency contraception she was prescribed by a hospital doctor.

She finally got the pills at a Walgreen store, hours after she left an emergency room. The so called morning-after contraceptive pill is at least 75 percent effective at preventing pregnancy if taken within 72 hours of unprotected sex.

Two of the pharmacist's co-workers who also refused to fill the rape victim's prescription were fired as well. Eckerd spokeswoman Joan Gallagher has said company policy does not allow pharmacists to decline to fill a prescription for moral or religious reasons.

OMG... the pharmacist is playing Doctor!

It is up to her Doc to help her with decisions like that.. not the guy behind the counter.

By the way.. why is it always so 'high up' back there... they are always a step above everyone?

Actually, I'd say the pharmacist is playing God. Did he expect, when he became a pharamicist, that he'd never be asked to fill a birth control prescription?

Mabel said:
Actually, I'd say the pharmacist is playing God. Did he expect, when he became a pharamicist, that he'd never be asked to fill a birth control prescription?
Seriously if she got pregnant - she could sue the Pharmacist for child support LOL

Casshew said:

It is up to her Doc to help her with decisions like that.. not the guy behind the counter.

By the way.. why is it always so 'high up' back there... they are always a step above everyone?

They're all really short?????

A man went into a pharmacy and asked to talk to
a male pharmacist.

The woman he was talking to said that she was the pharmacist
and that she and her sister owned the store, so there were no
males employed there. She then asked if there was something
she could help the gentleman with.

The man said "this is embarrassing for me, but
I have a permanent erection which causes me a lot of
problems and severe embarrassment. I was wondering what you
could give me for it?"

The pharmacist said "Just a minute, I'll go
talk to my sister."

When she returned, she said, "the best we can do is 1/3
ownership in the store and $3000 a month in living expenses."
i

Poco.. I guess

P.S. what on earth are you doing to the Easter Bunny????

Casshew said:
Poco.. I guess

P.S. what on earth are you doing to the Easter Bunny????

I'm trying to stick my foot up its *advertiser censored**, what the H does it look like I'm doing?

Casshew said:

I used to work in a pharmacy, I prefer to think that the step up was because we were more important than the other people. (J/K)

It had something to do with the security system.

PS one of my little known talents from that job: I know how to make suppositories from scratch. Not very many people can do that! :woohoo:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
0maj0
Back