846 users online (131 members and 715 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Student Suspended For Answering Call In Class From Dad In Iraq

A Texas sergeant and his son recently found themselves separated not only by an eight-hour time difference, several bodies of water, hundreds of miles and a war, but by a high school official who suspended the boy for answering his dad's call during class.
    Cove High School in Texas, where half the students have at least one parent deployed, justified the punishment against Brandon Hill by saying he had violated the no-cell-phone policy when he took the call from his father, who is serving in Iraq.
    "I have been going through a lot of stress lately and my dadís like my best friend, so I go to him for everything," the sophomore told FOX News on Saturday.
    "I needed to talk to him, so my mom got a hold of him on Yahoo and told him to call me, so I answered the phone call in class."
    more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,350988,00.html

What a bunch of idiots! They should all hang their heads in shame....

"EDUCATORS" MY BUTT!

IrishMist is offline You can't control the wind - but you can adjust your sails
    Sounds like one of those times where you have to say "Do what you gotta do, but I have to do what I have to do."

I would have taken the call, too.

Let's say it was the Principal's son/daughter calling from Iraq. Do you think he would have answered the call? Yeah, me too.

To me it 's just worth it.. he got the call ,took it and was suspended. he would do it again if he had to and it's just worth the consequence. who cares?

Sgt. Hill spoke to the assistant principal before he left for Iraq. Come on. The whole school should have answered that phone call.

What a bunch of idiots, IMO. I would worry about the kid if he DIDN'T answer the call.

Common sense and compassion have been abandoned in the name of zero tolerance. Shame on the school. It is hard tor kids to be without their parents and worrying about their safely. I am glad he answered the call.

Who passes out brains to some of these school administrators? Did no one teach them common sense?

Oh my, sometimes you have to wonder......are some people even human anymore?

I don't want to sound mean or unsympathetic here....I have a son about to go back to Iraq in July and I know how much it means getting a call from him, luckily I do have a cell and can answer at any time. But if the student is in a school and there is a no cell in class phone policy, why was this wrong? According to the article half the students have one or more parent away, are we to have total disruption all day?
    Again, I don't want to sound mean because I know what that phone call means to the loved one receiving it. But rules are rules.

oh for Pete's sake!

to bad the school never made rule about using common sense or compassion.

Dang, Filly, right on!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Filly View Post
    Sgt. Hill spoke to the assistant principal before he left for Iraq. Come on. The whole school should have answered that phone call.

The kid's having problems, needs dad, his best friend who is over risking his life and could be killed at any time, but the boy is in school and not out drunk or doped up somewhere. Schools break rules all the time and violate federal and state laws concerning kids, but heaven forbid a boy should violate one of their rules. I should have known this was a Texas town that is by the way getting lots of money from taxes and federal funds for each of these kids whose parents are all away risking their lives while they sit all nice and comfy behind some desk.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast