767 users online (86 members and 681 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 40
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    210

    Child Rape Tests Limits Of Death Penalty

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...src=newsletter

    "Beyond legal issues, the law is bad policy, an unlikely coalition of social workers and groups that work to prevent sexual assaults told the court.

    Her opposition "might seem counterintuitive," Judy Benitez, executive director of the Louisiana Foundation Against Sexual Assault, said in an interview. "But our great fear is that it will increase underreporting" of the crime.

    She said the "vast majority" of sexual assaults against children are committed by a family member or friend, and that other family members would be unwilling to turn over the rapist if the death penalty might be carried out.

    Additionally, the imposition of the death penalty means that abusers face no greater penalty for raping and killing their victims than for solely raping them, she said."


    I see her point...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    9,705
    I too see her point but IMO a pedophile is not necessarily a murderer.
    I do not believe that just because one is a pedophile means they would kill someone. So there is a flaw with her argument.
    I am perfectly content with locking pedophiles away for life... but life needs to really mean life... till the day they die NO parole. I think that should be for all pedophiles the first time they are convicted.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Minnesota-land of loons
    Posts
    3,212
    I am against the death penalty for child rape because with nothing more to lose, these freaks will just kill their victims rather than risk being identified. Murder still has to be the one crime that receives the death penalty above all others. Out of desperation, I believe many of these pedos would kill. We can't risk that.

    Eve

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,021
    I am against the death penalty, so I am certainly against expanding it's reach. I would like to see more of a focus on putting rpists in jail for life and have it really mean that.

    This is an important decision and it will be interesting to see what the court does.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    11,210
    Quote Originally Posted by Amraann View Post
    I am perfectly content with locking pedophiles away for life... but life needs to really mean life... till the day they die NO parole. I think that should be for all pedophiles the first time they are convicted.
    I agree!

  6. #6
    IrishMist's Avatar
    IrishMist is offline You can't control the wind - but you can adjust your sails
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Southeastern Tennessee
    Posts
    7,469
    Quote Originally Posted by Amraann View Post
    I too see her point but IMO a pedophile is not necessarily a murderer.
    I do not believe that just because one is a pedophile means they would kill someone. So there is a flaw with her argument.
    I am perfectly content with locking pedophiles away for life... but life needs to really mean life... till the day they die NO parole. I think that should be for all pedophiles the first time they are convicted.
    Same here. Well said, Amra.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    heaven bound
    Posts
    4,829
    Quote Originally Posted by Amraann View Post
    I too see her point but IMO a pedophile is not necessarily a murderer.
    I do not believe that just because one is a pedophile means they would kill someone. So there is a flaw with her argument.
    I am perfectly content with locking pedophiles away for life... but life needs to really mean life... till the day they die NO parole. I think that should be for all pedophiles the first time they are convicted.
    A pedophile IS a murderer...A murderer of innocence anyway.
    I see your point though.
    1st time convicted should be the LAST time!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,766
    Quote Originally Posted by White Rain View Post
    A pedophile IS a murderer...A murderer of innocence anyway.
    I see your point though.
    1st time convicted should be the LAST time!
    right on sister

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Minnesota-land of loons
    Posts
    3,212
    Quote Originally Posted by White Rain View Post
    A pedophile IS a murderer...A murderer of innocence anyway.
    I see your point though.
    1st time convicted should be the LAST time!
    I agree, but a potential death sentence will encourage pedos to kill their victims. I have heard victim's group are against the dp for this crime for that reason. I think their position makes sense. Also unfortunately, as much as it pains me, in our legal system prosecutors have to use lesser sentences as bargaining/leverage devices at times, for the greater good. There are pedophile/abduction situations where a mandatory dp would lead to a child's certain death.

    Eve

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    3,181
    Quote Originally Posted by eve View Post
    I agree, but a potential death sentence will encourage pedos to kill their victims. I have heard victim's group are against the dp for this crime for that reason. I think their position makes sense. Also unfortunately, as much as it pains me, in our legal system prosecutors have to use lesser sentences as bargaining/leverage devices at times, for the greater good. There are pedophile/abduction situations where a mandatory dp would lead to a child's certain death.

    Eve
    what would life without parole do? if a man rapes a 6 year old and knows if caught and convicted he will stay in prison til the day he dies might he kill the child? what if he knew he would stay in prison for 20 years no matter what?

    i think the type of man that will kill a child after they have ripped their small bodies apart with a rape does not view the child as a person. the perverts willing to kill a child to avoid the DP will kill a child to avoid life without parole or even a long jail term. is the answer to give a lighter sentence in hope they will not kill the child and only continue to rape countless children?


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    413
    I think if this country actually used the DP without years and years of appeals, then it would be a deterrent to crime (IMO). Our criminal justice system is a joke with all the plea bargains, paroles, early releases, etc.....
    We need to seriously look at the whole process for any difference to be made.

    While I have not in the past believed in capital punishment, I am finding myself sway with age. Being a victim of child rape by a stranger, I'm just at a place now where I say kill 'em.

    Save the paroles & such for those folks who can actually be rehabilitated.
    Maybe, if we were serious about it, those pedophiles would value their own lives enough to not act on their instincts.

    I dunno, maybe wishful thinking on my part that they could control themselves.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Minnesota-land of loons
    Posts
    3,212
    Quote Originally Posted by sherri79 View Post
    what would life without parole do? if a man rapes a 6 year old and knows if caught and convicted he will stay in prison til the day he dies might he kill the child? what if he knew he would stay in prison for 20 years no matter what?

    i think the type of man that will kill a child after they have ripped their small bodies apart with a rape does not view the child as a person. the perverts willing to kill a child to avoid the DP will kill a child to avoid life without parole or even a long jail term. is the answer to give a lighter sentence in hope they will not kill the child and only continue to rape countless children?
    All I know is that I have read and heard from criminal attorneys, prosecutors and professors that because pedos seem so unable to control or stop the behavior, the dp would just encourage them to kill their victims because criminals still fear the dp above all else. There is something in people that makes them want to live, even if it is in prison. Of course, that does reflect our current system in which true life without parole is somewhat rare.

    I think either sentence is somewhat problematic as a deterrent to child rape as long as murder charges can carry lesser sentences or more chances for parole/early release! Does that make sense?

    Eve

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,021
    Quote Originally Posted by eve View Post
    All I know is that I have read and heard from criminal attorneys, prosecutors and professors that because pedos seem so unable to control or stop the behavior, the dp would just encourage them to kill their victims because criminals still fear the dp above all else. There is something in people that makes them want to live, even if it is in prison. Of course, that does reflect our current system in which true life without parole is somewhat rare.

    I think either sentence is somewhat problematic as a deterrent to child rape as long as murder charges can carry lesser sentences or more chances for parole/early release! Does that make sense?

    Eve
    Eve, you and sherri both make very good points. My viewpoint is that the DP or true Life wihtout Parole will never be a deterent for these types of crimes - or any violent crime really. I just highly doubt that we could find one single solitary case where someone was going to kill someone (for whatever reason), but then the thought of the penalty made them choose another course.

    I do think people are killed in the commission of violent or sex crimes so that no witness will be left.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    3,181
    Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom View Post
    Eve, you and sherri both make very good points. My viewpoint is that the DP or true Life wihtout Parole will never be a deterent for these types of crimes - or any violent crime really. I just highly doubt that we could find one single solitary case where someone was going to kill someone (for whatever reason), but then the thought of the penalty made them choose another course.

    I do think people are killed in the commission of violent or sex crimes so that no witness will be left.
    i agree that killers will kill regardless of punishment. the few that really fear the punishment are far outweighed by those who think they will not get caught. i also agree that people kill witnesses to get away with their crimes. they will shoot a store clerk to get away with a robbery of 50 dollars. they kill witnesses in DP state and in those with out the DP or states that claim to have the DP but never use it.

    SCM if you see a small child bleeding and alone on a dark country road can you drive past? you do not know why she is there or what has happened to her, only that she is hurt and alone. can you leave her? you do not know if whoever hurt her is nearby. do you leave her to whatever controls fate rather than take a risk and save her? having spoke to you repeatedly i do not think you could leave the child. it is not in your nature.

    when a small child is raped by a grown man much pain is involved. the child will cry, scream, and bleed. these men know they have hurt a child but they do not stop. they know if caught they will face prison. they know in prison they may suffer rape themselves. they do not stop. it is in their nature to prey on children. they can no more switch of their desire to harm the child than you can switch off your desire to save the child on the dark road.

    the fear of punishment will not stop those that find sexual pleasure in the pain of a young child. life without parole or the DP will only stop those we catch. either would risk children being killed to avoid punishment. after all children are raped and killed in states without the DP regularly. to me it comes down to does the punishment fit the crime.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,908
    I say kill them, I have no sympathy whatsoever.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. OK - Rep. Calls For Death Penalty For Repeat Child Molesters
    By SeriouslySearching in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 08-23-2009, 01:33 AM
  2. Supreme Court Rules against Death for Child Rape
    By gaia227 in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 91
    Last Post: 07-02-2008, 09:46 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-11-2003, 06:06 AM