739 users online (81 members and 658 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Prosecutors: 10-year-old was frightened to tell people she had been raped

Breaking News from the Press-Register
    Prosecutors: 10-year-old was frightened to tell people she had been raped
    By Katherine Sayre

January 27, 2010, 9:01AM

Bob Ingle, seen here in 2006, is accused of raping his 10-year-old stepdaughter.MOBILE, Ala. -- 10-year-old Rebecca McEvoy asked her best friend to "pinky promise" not to tell anyone that her stepfather Bob Ingle -- a former Chickasaw police officer -- had raped her in their apartment, prosecutors told a Mobile County jury Tuesday.

McEvoy can't testify because she later died in a car wreck, but her words will be told through evidence, said Mobile County Assistant District Attorney Ella Byrd during opening arguments.

"Listen to what Bob Lee Ingle did to Becca," Byrd said. "Listen to Becca."

Ingle, 51, faces charges of sex abuse, rape and sodomy after allegations surfaced in 2006. His trial started Tuesday in Mobile County Circuit Judge Michael Youngpeter's courtroom after months of delays.

During opening arguments, defense attorney Michael Harbin told the six-man, eight-woman jury that prosecutors can't prove their case by suggestion or suspicion.

"Don't convict on emotions," Harbin said.

The prosecution has been complicated by McEvoy's death in January 2008. The defense has argued that meant Ingle would be denied his right to cross-examine his accuser.

Her family members and other supporters have held demonstrations to bring public attention to her case.

Youngpeter has ruled that any statements she made to police can't be heard by the jury, although other statements to friends, family and medical personnel are admissible.

Before McEvoy's 13-year-old best friend testified, Youngpeter ordered spectators to leave the courtroom.

McEvoy's 25-year-old sister, Nina Tucker, testified that while driving around Chickasaw one night, McEvoy told her that she'd been raped by her stepfather.

At first, Tucker said, her sister didn't want to use "a bad word" and she instead wrote the word "sex" on a piece of paper and handed it to Tucker.

"I burst into tears," Tucker said. "She started rubbing my shoulder, trying to comfort me."

Defense attorneys questioned Tucker about an ex-boyfriend, who was a sex offender.

Tucker said that while she was in a relationship with the man, her sister only met him once and was never alone with him.

Dr. James Hanley, who examined McEvoy at the University of South Alabama Children's and Women's Hospital, testified that he determined she had been sexually abused.

"She was very anxious ... very withdrawn," Hanley said.

He said she answered his questions by writing on paper and told him the abuse had occurred more than once. Hanley said when he asked who abused her, she wrote "Bob L. Ingle."

The trial is scheduled to continue today at Mobile Government Plaza.
    Last edited by ChaCha; 01-27-2010 at 05:31 PM.
    *My comments are only my opinion, not fact. It is my commentary on the topic, and I'm exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Comments are NOT made with any malicious intent.

I agree with what John Douglas said in his book Law and Disorder:

"Our 1st allegiance must always be to justice. Justice is often uncomfortable, but that doesn't mean we should turn our heads away. Justice is truth in action. Whatever it means and wherever it takes us. Justice is not a political game, it is a search for truth."

Sounds like the laws as they pertain to evidence admissibility in cases of deceased victims of rape should be changed to the same laws as murder. We pursue justice for murder victims why not young rape victims who later die? I don't understand the ruling that LE reports and testimony can not be introduced into evidence. Aren't the LE reports sworn testimony? When a police report is filed here (FL) you have to raise your hand and swear that what you have said or written is the truth. What am I missing here? The idea that any criminal should go free because the victim later dies an unrelated death is beyond reason when such evidence exists that would in the mind of the common person serve to convict the perpetrator. In my opinion.

ETA: Is this a thread for documents or is discussion allowed here? Should I post this on a different thread for this case?
    Last edited by dsntslp; 01-27-2010 at 06:11 PM.

http://www.local15tv.com/news/local/...g.cspx?rss=217

Thank God they found him guilty! This has been a long time coming!

Crawfird vs Washington

Yes the law Crawford Vs Washington has wrecked havoc on lots of murder and rape cases. Especially with the ploy lots of defense atty's like to use called Victory by delay. Which is just wait out the case and it won't go to trial. People move on with their lives, lose interest, or forget, or die.

Illinois had enough of it and wrote a law to change it and this is why Drew Peterson is finally in jail.

Supposedly Ingle's family has money. It's been said he will probably appeal. He tried to get all the evidence kept out. He's already taken this case to the Alabama Supreme Court on the Crawford vs Washington law. They sent it back to be tried.

The prisons are full of people who can't afford to pay for an attorney.

It's been rumored he had to get an attorney from out of town, because no one in town wanted to take the case.

He has a GPS on now until Feb 25, 2010 sentencing.

He hasn't spent one day in jail I guess that's what money will buy you.
    *My comments are only my opinion, not fact. It is my commentary on the topic, and I'm exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Comments are NOT made with any malicious intent.

I agree with what John Douglas said in his book Law and Disorder:

"Our 1st allegiance must always be to justice. Justice is often uncomfortable, but that doesn't mean we should turn our heads away. Justice is truth in action. Whatever it means and wherever it takes us. Justice is not a political game, it is a search for truth."

Thank you for the legal case citations Cha Cha.
    I am glad he has been found guilty.

I'm new here, and just started poking around and reading. I recently moved from Mobile and remember reading about this in the news. I'm glad they found the man guilty and hope he's punished to the fullest extent.

In Mobile and the surrounding areas, it may not so much be that he has money that's kept him out of jail this far but his name. Names go a long way there.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3