1099 users online (231 members and 868 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Louisiana Passes Castration for Sex Offenders Bill

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,351386,00.html

I've read somewhere that this isn't a good idea because the offender would still commit the crime by using foreign objects.
    Has anybody else heard this.
    I'll look it up and post links when I find them.

BRAVO, imo all states should do this to sexual predators.

Please don't think I'm opposed to it. I just thought I'd read somewhere that this doesn't work, because the crime is not about the sex, but about them acting out or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by MsRusty View Post
    Please don't think I'm opposed to it. I just thought I'd read somewhere that this doesn't work, because the crime is not about the sex, but about them acting out or something like that.
    I have also heard that it is not effective. But heck who knows!

I've heard that too, MsRusty. They can still do things with other parts of their bodies and foreign objects.

Too bad they can't castrate their minds.

Yeah, JBean, maybe it's a start.

I guess what I don't understand is how you enforce them taking the medication....are they mandated to show up at a medical facility for regular injections? (If it's depo-provera as mentioned in this interesting article)
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770

Rape is about control and power. If they are castrated...I can't see it doing anything to solve the real problem, but only exacerbate it.
    "WE SEEK FOR THE TRUTH. WE SEEK JUSTICE.
    THE COURTS REQUIRE IT. THE VICTIMS CRY FOR IT
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

A quote spray painted on the wall by search
    and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.

What I post are my opinions only.

I have mixed feelings about this. If it will stop a child from being molested, I think it might be good. But chances are it won't work. What will they do to women who molest a child? Will this lead to cutting off the hands of thieves? Will it take us where we don't want to go?

Chemical castration takes away the urges....it's not just that his 'thing' won't co-operate.

I agree that rape is about control and power, not sex, per say, but if they still get a sexual kick out of it and I am hopeful that they won't be 'compelled' to get their hands on a child (or indeed ANYONE) if they don't have those thoughts.
    Above is my opinion only

i do not want to imply that men are like dogs but we are mammals. when a male dog is "fixed" it lowers aggression. i would think this would lower the testosterone of the men and that would lower the aggression to some point.

Quote Originally Posted by sherri79 View Post
    i do not want to imply that men are like dogs but we are mammals. when a male dog is "fixed" it lowers aggression. i would think this would lower the testosterone of the men and that would lower the aggression to some point.
    Some of the men in question can only aspire to be more like 'Man's best friend'.

I agree with you, it's more about taking away the feelings and urges than lack of 'movement'.
    Above is my opinion only

OK, so if the castration won't help, because they can use other objects and on the other thread about the DP in Child Rapes the DP won't be a deterrent, then what will work? If they go to jail, we end up letting them out to offend again, so what's the answer?

Quote Originally Posted by MsRusty View Post
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,351386,00.html

I've read somewhere that this isn't a good idea because the offender would still commit the crime by using foreign objects.
    Has anybody else heard this.
    I'll look it up and post links when I find them.
    I have heard this many times over from professionals. Additionaly if we truly consider all rape to be about violence and not power as opposed to about sex, it makes complete sense.

Now, that said, I just finished reading a fascinating book called "Bad Men Do What Good Men Dream" or something like that. There is in depth discussion of serial sexual murders. Those folks do what they do to achieve maximum orgasm, so maybe they would be stopped by castration....though I have my doubts!

In any event, I predict many WSers will cheer this decision.

Quote Originally Posted by sherri79 View Post
    This is a great point.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast