1077 users online (163 members and 914 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,051

    8 year old gets divorce from arranged marriage

    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,351388,00.html

    Nojud Mohammed Ali said she was forced to marry under an agreement reached between her unemployed father and 28-year-old former husband, Faez Ali Thameur, earlier this year, AFP reported.
    "They asked me to sign the marriage contract and remain in my father's house until I was 18," the girl told AFP. "But a week after signing, my father and my mother forced me to go live with him."
    Thameur told a judge that he married Nojud with her consent and her parents', and that the marriage "was consummated, but I did not beat her." He did not object to the divorce petition.

    I will never understand this.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    2,996
    Holy Mother of God!

    This is nothing less than child abuse and I could give 2 *****s what the law says in any country this is allowed in.
    Above is my opinion only

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,306
    This is insane. This 28 year old man is a child rapist and so is the father in allowing this "marriage".
    Yemen is such a messed up country and women have NO RIGHTS there. This is really not shocking. Children and women typically in countries like Yemen (not just muslim countries either, poor countries) tend to treat women and children as cattle not humans.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,051
    Quote Originally Posted by pixies View Post
    This is insane. This 28 year old man is a child rapist and so is the father in allowing this "marriage".
    Yemen is such a messed up country and women have NO RIGHTS there. This is really not shocking. Children and women typically in countries like Yemen (not just muslim countries either, poor countries) tend to treat women and children as cattle not humans.
    No your right I think it is shocking they actually let her divorce and go live with her uncle. Now probably no one will marry her because she is not a virgin.

  5. #5
    Yes, that always amazes me this kind of things too. I tell myself wow in 100 years people will think our era was so retarded. Geez I couldn't have lived in such a country anyway I guess I'd have been lapidated. I'm not used to let anyone step on my shoes.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,681
    At least this "marriage" is not cloaked in a "spiritual marriage" arranged and condoned by a "highly regarded" religious leader.

    At least the girl can get a Divorce, and go back to her parents.

    I guess in some countries, the parents are so poor, that they are forced to "marry" their daughters out of economic desperation.

    After, all once married, the girl is now the responsibility of the "new" in laws.

    I am also glad that this girl is not a victim of a honor killing............

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    3,027
    I hope this little girl will have somewhat of a chance to have a life but IMO we can't be pointing fingers at another country when ours every day have the reports of little children and even babies being raped, molested or beaten to death. In the article it says her 2 older sisters had been kidnapped and the father did not want the same thing to happen to her.

    VB

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    3,181
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberLaw View Post
    At least this "marriage" is not cloaked in a "spiritual marriage" arranged and condoned by a "highly regarded" religious leader.

    At least the girl can get a Divorce, and go back to her parents.

    I guess in some countries, the parents are so poor, that they are forced to "marry" their daughters out of economic desperation.

    After, all once married, the girl is now the responsibility of the "new" in laws.

    I am also glad that this girl is not a victim of a honor killing............
    the parents had choices. the uncle is willing to support the child. the parents could have given the child to the uncle. they would not have gotten a bride price for her but she would not starve.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    san diego
    Posts
    1,736
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas Bride View Post
    I hope this little girl will have somewhat of a chance to have a life but IMO we can't be pointing fingers at another country when ours every day have the reports of little children and even babies being raped, molested or beaten to death. In the article it says her 2 older sisters had been kidnapped and the father did not want the same thing to happen to her.

    VB



    We have no call to be self-righteous.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    929
    Did I read this right? He consummated the marriage w/ her and she's EIGHT!?!

    Holy hell! Not to beat up on a person's culture or religion but I don't understand the whole taking of "child brides" and Don't think I ever will to be quite honest.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    3,181
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas Bride View Post
    I hope this little girl will have somewhat of a chance to have a life but IMO we can't be pointing fingers at another country when ours every day have the reports of little children and even babies being raped, molested or beaten to death. In the article it says her 2 older sisters had been kidnapped and the father did not want the same thing to happen to her.

    VB
    you do not want your child kidnapped so you give her to a 28 year old man so he can have sex with her?

    we do fail our children in this country. we have laws to protect them but we need the penalty to be stronger. in this child's country it is perfectly legal for a parent to marry a small child off to a old man and then for the old man to have sex with the small child.

    we read about babies and children raped in this country in the crimes section of the paper not in the divorce announcements.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    3,181
    Quote Originally Posted by JinxieJada View Post
    Did I read this right? He consummated the marriage w/ her and she's EIGHT!?!

    Holy hell! Not to beat up on a person's culture or religion but I don't understand the whole taking of "child brides" and Don't think I ever will to be quite honest.
    that is what he said but he did say he did not beat her...

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    30,906
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberLaw View Post
    At least this "marriage" is not cloaked in a "spiritual marriage" arranged and condoned by a "highly regarded" religious leader.

    At least the girl can get a Divorce, and go back to her parents.

    I guess in some countries, the parents are so poor, that they are forced to "marry" their daughters out of economic desperation.

    After, all once married, the girl is now the responsibility of the "new" in laws.

    I am also glad that this girl is not a victim of a honor killing............

    GO BACK TO HER PARENTS??? WTF???

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    The South, USA
    Posts
    2,405
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda7NJ View Post
    GO BACK TO HER PARENTS??? WTF???
    I think the article said the girl did not go back to her father, but rather chose to go live with an uncle.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    2,996
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas Bride View Post
    I hope this little girl will have somewhat of a chance to have a life but IMO we can't be pointing fingers at another country when ours every day have the reports of little children and even babies being raped, molested or beaten to death. In the article it says her 2 older sisters had been kidnapped and the father did not want the same thing to happen to her.

    VB
    I agree with Sherri on this. I feel that I personally can point a finger because I do not pay taxes to a government that willingly allows children to be raped. The system is flawed, for sure, but at least it something. Abig thing, actually, when compared with this.

    I can't say what happened to her sisters when they were kidnapped, but surely a massive fear is that they were sexually abused?? What's the difference?
    Above is my opinion only

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. 81-year marriage hasn't made these 99-year-olds sentimental
    By zwiebel in forum News that makes you smile!
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-17-2015, 12:19 AM
  2. Neil Young files for divorce after 36 years of marriage
    By zwiebel in forum Celebrity and Entertainment News
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-01-2014, 08:31 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-14-2014, 06:00 AM