8 year old gets divorce from arranged marriage

imthemom

Reaction score
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,351388,00.html

Nojud Mohammed Ali said she was forced to marry under an agreement reached between her unemployed father and 28-year-old former husband, Faez Ali Thameur, earlier this year, AFP reported.
"They asked me to sign the marriage contract and remain in my father's house until I was 18," the girl told AFP. "But a week after signing, my father and my mother forced me to go live with him."
Thameur told a judge that he married Nojud with her consent and her parents', and that the marriage "was consummated, but I did not beat her." He did not object to the divorce petition.

I will never understand this.:bang:

Holy Mother of God!

This is nothing less than child abuse and I could give 2 sh*ts what the law says in any country this is allowed in.:furious:

This is insane. This 28 year old man is a child rapist and so is the father in allowing this "marriage".
Yemen is such a messed up country and women have NO RIGHTS there. This is really not shocking. Children and women typically in countries like Yemen (not just muslim countries either, poor countries) tend to treat women and children as cattle not humans.

This is insane. This 28 year old man is a child rapist and so is the father in allowing this "marriage".
Yemen is such a messed up country and women have NO RIGHTS there. This is really not shocking. Children and women typically in countries like Yemen (not just muslim countries either, poor countries) tend to treat women and children as cattle not humans.

No your right I think it is shocking they actually let her divorce and go live with her uncle. Now probably no one will marry her because she is not a virgin.

Yes, that always amazes me this kind of things too. I tell myself wow in 100 years people will think our era was so retarded. Geez I couldn't have lived in such a country anyway I guess I'd have been lapidated. I'm not used to let anyone step on my shoes.

At least this "marriage" is not cloaked in a "spiritual marriage" arranged and condoned by a "highly regarded" religious leader.

At least the girl can get a Divorce, and go back to her parents.

I guess in some countries, the parents are so poor, that they are forced to "marry" their daughters out of economic desperation.

After, all once married, the girl is now the responsibility of the "new" in laws.

I am also glad that this girl is not a victim of a honor killing............

I hope this little girl will have somewhat of a chance to have a life but IMO we can't be pointing fingers at another country when ours every day have the reports of little children and even babies being raped, molested or beaten to death. In the article it says her 2 older sisters had been kidnapped and the father did not want the same thing to happen to her.

VB

At least this "marriage" is not cloaked in a "spiritual marriage" arranged and condoned by a "highly regarded" religious leader.

I guess in some countries, the parents are so poor, that they are forced to "marry" their daughters out of economic desperation.

After, all once married, the girl is now the responsibility of the "new" in laws.

the parents had choices. the uncle is willing to support the child. the parents could have given the child to the uncle. they would not have gotten a bride price for her but she would not starve.

I hope this little girl will have somewhat of a chance to have a life but IMO we can't be pointing fingers at another country when ours every day have the reports of little children and even babies being raped, molested or beaten to death. In the article it says her 2 older sisters had been kidnapped and the father did not want the same thing to happen to her.

VB

:clap: :clap: :clap:

We have no call to be self-righteous.

Did I read this right? He consummated the marriage w/ her and she's EIGHT!?!

Holy hell! Not to beat up on a person's culture or religion but I don't understand the whole taking of "child brides" and Don't think I ever will to be quite honest.

VB
you do not want your child kidnapped so you give her to a 28 year old man so he can have sex with her?

we do fail our children in this country. we have laws to protect them but we need the penalty to be stronger. in this child's country it is perfectly legal for a parent to marry a small child off to a old man and then for the old man to have sex with the small child.

we read about babies and children raped in this country in the crimes section of the paper not in the divorce announcements.

Did I read this right? He consummated the marriage w/ her and she's EIGHT!?!

Holy hell! Not to beat up on a person's culture or religion but I don't understand the whole taking of "child brides" and Don't think I ever will to be quite honest.
that is what he said but he did say he did not beat her...

GO BACK TO HER PARENTS??? WTF???:eek:

VB

I agree with Sherri on this. I feel that I personally can point a finger because I do not pay taxes to a government that willingly allows children to be raped. The system is flawed, for sure, but at least it something. Abig thing, actually, when compared with this.

I can't say what happened to her sisters when they were kidnapped, but surely a massive fear is that they were sexually abused?? What's the difference?

I agree with Sherri on this. I feel that I personally can point a finger because I do not pay taxes to a government that willingly allows children to be raped. The system is flawed, for sure, but at least it something. Abig thing, actually, when compared with this.

I can't say what happened to her sisters when they were kidnapped, but surely a massive fear is that they were sexually abused?? What's the difference?

Totally agree with you and Sherry. It is not legal to marry an 8 year old in our country as it is in their country. I don't think anyone is being self ritchous just stating the facts that he consumated this marriage with an 8 year old and will not be in any trouble for it.

I completely condemn the act of adults having sex with children. It is undeniably wrong. Yemen is wrong to not have laws against this type of abuse. But I don't believe that this country has more pedophiles than we do. It's wrong to characterize this country as such.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,351388,00.html

Nojud Mohammed Ali said she was forced to marry under an agreement reached between her unemployed father and 28-year-old former husband, Faez Ali Thameur, earlier this year, AFP reported.
"They asked me to sign the marriage contract and remain in my father's house until I was 18," the girl told AFP. "But a week after signing, my father and my mother forced me to go live with him."
Thameur told a judge that he married Nojud with her consent and her parents', and that the marriage "was consummated, but I did not beat her." He did not object to the divorce petition.

I will never understand this.:bang:

She's eight years old.

The marriage is consumated.

Oh
my
God.

I will NEVER understand this. Never. How any man could look at a little girl's precious, innocent body and think "sex" is beyond me.

I completely condemn the act of adults having sex with children. It is undeniably wrong. Yemen is wrong to not have laws against this type of abuse. But I don't believe that this country has more pedophiles than we do. It's wrong to characterize this country as such.

I don't think that they have more pedophiles than we do, maybe we have more, maybe they have more. We are seeing the whole thing going down the polygmist sect right now and I think it is about dang time they did something about these so called marriages. I just hope Yemen steps up and makes laws to protect girls like her.

I don't think that they have more pedophiles than we do, maybe we have more, maybe they have more. We are seeing the whole thing going down the polygmist sect right now and I think it is about dang time they did something about these so called marriages. I just hope Yemen steps up and makes laws to protect girls like her.

Hopefully the international attention drawn to this case will propel Yemeni lawmakers.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back