Father of two dies after sliding off escalator railing

Gina_M

Reaction score
Website
www.findmywayhome.org
Father of two dies after sliding off escalator railing

A Mets fan leaving the game last night lost his balance while descending an escalator at Shea Stadium and plummeted two stories to his death - as his two young daughters watched in horror, authorities said.

Antonio Narainasami, 36, of Brooklyn, was with several other relatives on a family outing, when the tragedy took place around 10 p.m. in Section A near left field.

{snip}

"We saw his whole body go over the side. There's no explanation for what happened there. It's like a nightmare."

But one police source said authorities are looking into the possibility the victim may have been sliding on the rubber railing.

More at link

Oh how awful. What a sin his little girls were there. I wonder why the escelator was turned off?

So sad:

At home was the fan's wife, who is pregnant with their third child.

Oh, those poor little girls and his wife. :( I hope the memories of being with their dad will help them forget his last moment.

They turn off the escalators at our ballpark at the end of the game. Everyone walks down a cement ramp. They have security by the escalator so nobody tries to walk down it. With all the inebriated fans we saw at the last game that might be a good idea.

:(

I heard this on the radio yesterday morning. It's a sad situation.

I'm honestly surprised things like this don't happen more often, considering the number of drunks at ballgames. We make the mistake of going once during Frat Night. I was the same age as most of the frat boys and I was still miserable.

I don't understand why they think he was sliding down the escalator railing. The article states his little girls watched in horror as he fell.....would he have slid down the railing and left his little girls behind?

The radio program today said he was "sitting" on the railing of the escalator and fell off. This guy was really stupid if he did that. I have seen many many people riding an escalator like that at malls and stadiums, I am surprised not more have died from falling.

If he was "joy riding" as the lady on the radio said, then he is responsible for his own death.

The radio program today said he was "sitting" on the railing of the escalator and fell off. This guy was really stupid if he did that. I have seen many many people riding an escalator like that at malls and stadiums, I am surprised not more have died from falling.

If he was "joy riding" as the lady on the radio said, then he is responsible for his own death.

I find your post very harsh, pixies. This is a young man who has just died
and left a wife, children, family, and friends. We do not know if he was riding the railing, and even if he did, there is not call to label him "responsible for his own death". Please consider that people who loved this man may be exposed to your comments.

and left a wife, children, family, and friends. We do not know if he was riding the railing, and even if he did, there is not call to label him "responsible for his own death". Please consider that people who loved this man may be exposed to your comments.
if as she said if he was riding the rail he is responsible for his own death. i would feel bad if his family read these word and it added to their grief. i hope anyone thinking of doing something like this reads these words and changes their minds.

last year i attended a funeral for a 18 year old boy killed while car surfing. after his funeral his mother begged the teens to spread the word about how a few minutes of stupid fun cost her son his life.

if as she said if he was riding the rail he is responsible for his own death. i would feel bad if his family read these word and it added to their grief. i hope anyone thinking of doing something like this reads these words and changes their minds.

last year i attended a funeral for a 18 year old boy killed while car surfing. after his funeral his mother begged the teens to spread the word about how a few minutes of stupid fun cost her son his life.

Let's wait until all the facts are verified, just in case.

I knew someone who did the very same thing after a game and also died as a result. I can't speak for the father of 2, but in my friend's case it was a very bad error in judgment.

This update says witnesses said that he was sliding or sitting on the railing. It's too bad he died, but he did use poor judgement.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/newyork/ny-nyshea0418,0,7211358.story

snip

BY CARL MACGOWAN | 3:06 PM EDT, April 17, 2008 A Brooklyn man who fell to his death on Tuesday at Shea Stadium died as the result of blunt force trauma of the torso and extremities, the New York City medical examiner's office said Thursday.

The autopsy concluded that Antonio Narainasami's fall from a mezzanine-level escalator at the end of a Mets game was an accident, a spokeswoman for the medical examiner said.

Police said Narainasami, 36, fell two levels in front of horrified relatives, including his two daughters. Witnesses told police Narainasami was sliding or sitting on a handrail before he fell.

-----

Something similar happened in January in LA at Hollywood and Highland:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/01/13/esc....ap/index.html

People don't just fall off an escalator.
He was either sliding along on the side or he was sitting on the side and fell off. There is no way he fell 2 stories by riding it properly.

I feel badly for his family.

reminds me of the dad that burned himself while bbqing and it caused him to stabbed himself in front of his 2 kids. he died also.
sad all the way around.

Oh I remember that JBean.
And recently I read an article about a dad who tried to safe his 2 children from drowning..he saved them but he died. :( Very sad.

It may sound harsh but it is the truth. If he did this foolish thing that caused his own death he is at fault. Not the stadium not the ball team.
IF he did this (rode the escalator on the side or sitting down on the rail) HE should have thought about his pregnant wife and children prior to doing something dangerous and foolish.

I DO feel bad for this family but reading almost every article that states he was riding the rail, I have no pity for him. He was a grown man who knew better! Now he has left behind a widow and children. That is where the tragedy is.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back