Richard

Reaction score
Charlotte Estella Rexroad Wyne
Missing since March 11, 1970 from Canton, Ohio
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: November 24, 1935
Age at Time of Disappearance: 34 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'5"; 112 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Black hair. Possibly blue eyes. Medium complexion, thin build.
Clothing: Grey coat, pink blouse, blue skirt, blue scarf, brown slippers.
AKA: Charlotte Rexroad, Charlotte Wyne

Circumstances of Disappearance

Charlotte was last seen by her husband in the 400 block of East Tuscarawas Avenue, Canton Ohio on March 11, 1970 at 8:55PM.

She has never been seen or heard from since.

She left behind three daughters and one son.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Canton Police Department
Investigator L. Kamp
330-489-3100

Agency Case Number: 566798

Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
Family Member
The Doe Network: Case File 2208DFOH

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2208dfoh.html

March 11th marks the 40 year anniversary of Charlotte's disappearance. Thanks for posting the link.

Thanks for the link. It was very well written. I felt like it was 1970 again, with the mention of the TV shows etc. I was only three, but I do remember every day life then..Good to see another old case getting some attention.

Bumping...you know, as screwed up as my parents may have been, when I read this daughter's story it makes me glad that I at least knew where they were and never had to wonder like this.

I live in Canton right off Tuscawaras by Aultman Hospital. if i can help get any info let me know. I wonder what happened to her?

Demographics
Missing Age34 Years
Current Age83 Years
First NameCharlotte
Middle NameEstelle
Last NameRexroad
Nickname/AliasCharlotte Wyne

SexFemale
Height5' 4" - 5' 6" (64 - 66 Inches)
Weight105 - 125 lbs
Race / EthnicityWhite / Caucasian

Circumstances
Date of Last ContactMarch 11, 1970
NamUs Case CreatedMarch 3, 2013
Last Known Location Map
LocationCanton, Ohio
CountyStark County

Circumstances of Disappearance--
Physical Description
Hair ColorBlack
Head Hair Description--
Body Hair Description--
Facial Hair Description--
Left Eye ColorBlue
Right Eye ColorBlue
Eye Description--
Distinctive Physical Features
No Known Information

Clothing and Accessories
Item
Description
Accessories
blue scarf

Clothing
Grey coat. Pink blouse, blue skirt, blue scarf, brown slippers

Eyewear
none

Footwear
brown slippers

Jewelry
unknown

R/O

upload_2019-11-20_10-42-16.png

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

I've checked NamUs trying to find a possible match among the Jane Does, but I have found nothing. I have just checked Ohio, because I don't think Wyne could kill her (not wasting time discussing if he was responsible, I think it's rather obvious) and dispose of her body in other state before returning to the hotel that very night. My guess is that she wasn't located; there are several lakes around Canton, maybe...

53 years missing...

Charlotte Estella Rexroad Wyne age 34, served as a member of the U.S. Navy WAVES prior to her disappearance on March 11, 1970 from Canton, Ohio. Charlotte was seen leaving the McKinley Hotel to do laundry, never to return.​

Details:

Rexroad was last seen in Canton, Ohio on March 11, 1970. She lived with her four children and her boyfriend of five years, Freeman "Red" Wyne Jr., in the McKinley Hotel. Wyne was the father of her two youngest children.

The couple left home that day to go to the laundromat, leaving the children behind in the care of a babysitter. After they left, however, they changed their plans. They stopped for drinks at either the Landmark Cafe or Dee Freconna's Factory Bar, then went to Benny Petsy's Hub Cafe in the 400 block of east Tuscarawas Avenue.

Wyne later gave conflicting accounts of Rexroad's disappearance to police. One story was that Rexroad began dancing with other men, and when he came out of the bathroom at 8:55 p.m., he saw her leaving with another man. Another account is that Rexroad left with a man and a woman, in spite of Wyne's attempts to get her to stay, and was last seen walking east on Tuscarawas Avenue.

Wyne returned to the hotel alone that night, drunk, and caused a disturbance. The police arrested him for public intoxication. He was released from jail the next morning after he paid a fine.

That same morning, Rexroad's oldest daughter, who was fourteen years old at the time, reported her missing. She said it was uncharacteristic of Rexroad to leave without warning and she feared Wyne had harmed her. Wyne said he believed Rexroad had simply left him. He was interviewed twice by police, the last time four days after Rexroad's disappearance was reported. He never contacted the police about her case again.

The four Rexroad children were placed in foster care after their mother's disappearance. The oldest child went to live with an uncle in West Virginia and the younger three were eventually adopted by another family.

In 1996, two of Rexroad's daughters located Wyne in West Virginia, and he invited them to visit his home. He had had a stroke and was using a wheelchair. When they questioned him about Rexroad's disappearance, he said he didn't remember much about the night she went missing. Wyne died in 2008 at age 76.

Rexroad's children are still looking for her and still believe Wyne probably killed her. Her case remains unsolved.

LINKS:

There's so much of the Red's story that doesn't make sense.

So Charlotte and Red leave to go to the laundromat except they don't go to the laundromat and suddenly decide to go for drinks and food. I guess the two don't need to be exclusive—you can decide to grab a bite to eat before doing laundry.

But if so, what happened to the bag of laundry? Did they just haul it to the cafes and bars they visited? Did they just leave it in their car? I can't imagine they would've needed a car anyway, given that the distance between the hotel where they lived (now the DoubleTree by Hilton Carlton) to their last known location is only 7 minutes on foot. Was the laundromat was farther than that? And if they didn't leave with laundry, wasn't that suspicious?

Then Charlotte supposedly, after dancing with other men, abandons her boyfriend at the bar in order to head out either with another man or with a couple. Could any witnesses corroborate this story? I mean, if he was trying to get her to stay and not leave with total strangers, no one else noticed?

I agree with Charlotte's children as to what happened that night.

charlotte_estella_rexroad_1.jpg

Charlotte Estella Rexroad, age 34, missing since 11 March 1970​

LINKS:

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members