Pope Benedict XVI Celebrates His First Public Mass in the United States

Dark Knight

Reaction score
Pope Benedict XVI presided over a Mass celebrated in 10 languages Thursday, calling the United States a land of opportunity and hope but decrying that the nation's promise has been left unfulfilled for some.

At the first public Mass of his U.S. pilgrimage, Benedict mixed praise for the American experience with an effort to touch consciences, something he has been doing since the start of his trip on Tuesday.

More than 45,000 people filled Nationals Park on a clear spring day, as the pope, wearing scarlet vestments, led the service from an altar erected in centerfield of the recently inaugurated baseball stadium. Rows of red-robed church leaders joined him. The enthusiastic crowd burst into cheers when Benedict entered the stadium in his popemobile.

His homily was more somber. Benedict examined American society, saying he detected anger and alienation, increasing violence and a "growing forgetfulness of God."

Much more at link, including pictures and video:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080417/ap_on_re_us/pope_us;_ylt=AieO1a0LRwurtDwzwkUc3ous0NUE

Thank you for opening this thread DK. I would have done it when I watched the Pope arrive at Andrews Air Force Base live, but wanted to defer to you.

He reminded me of my experience in Miami when Pope John Paul visited there. My boss was Jewish. Owned a large multi-line car dealership, most of the stores right on the path the Pope's motorcade took. He made an announcement, that when the Pope passed by, anyone could leave their work areas and go out to see him. Of course we all filed outside. There was a slight delay right near us and the "Popemobile" stopped momentarily. One of my co-workers was an Orthodox Jew and always wore a yalmuka. The Pope pointed to his "cap" then to him, smiled and gave the sign of the cross. The man was so touched, there was a tear in his eye. We were all touched that he continued to bless us all. I'm an Episcopalian, but thrilled to have been able to see the Pope.

I was smiling as Pope Benedict came off the plane. What a spry, happy gentleman.

I'm not Catholic but many Christians are delighted that the Pope is visiting the US. I've listened to his sermons/speeches and he is of course very spiritual and very eloquent.

God bless Papa Ratzi! :) I'm a proud Catholic and so excited about his visit.

Before Pope Ben was the Pope, he was Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, and he ordained a dear friend of mine a deacon in Rome. That friend went on to become a priest. I just think that is so cool. I love that he is visiting the US. I think he is just awesome.

Thank you from me as well, DK. I have to admit I had a few tears in my eyes seeing The Holy Father here on our soil. The little impromptu Happy Birthday song the crowd sang prior to the rehearsed one. It's an exciting time. In 1979 my dad had the great fortune to guard Pope John Paul when he was in Philly. Thus we had a little heads up on his route before he left. My co-worker and I hit the street a little early and sure enough to the delight of stunned folks going to work here came the Pope Mobile. I get goose bumps to this day. I'm enjoying the coverage of The Holy Father. Now I'd like to know are we supposed to be calling The Pope "Papa Ben"? It's a warm sentiment. I wonder if he minds. Safe trip and Blessings to Pope Benedict for the rest of his trip.

God bless Papa Ratzi! :) I'm a proud Catholic and so excited about his visit.

Before Pope Ben was the Pope, he was Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, and he ordained a dear friend of mine a deacon in Rome. That friend went on to become a priest. I just think that is so cool. I love that he is visiting the US. I think he is just awesome.

Leigh, I didn't here the Papa Ratzi. That's funny. How cool was that Cardinal Ratzinger Ordained your friend? He was in effect Ordained by The Pope. My mom is woot, wooting all over the hood. Proud German's and the fight is on with our dear Italian neighbors. Elderly ladies fighting over The Pope. We're all excited as well though. Papa Ratzi. LOL

Leigh, I didn't here the Papa Ratzi. That's funny. How cool was that Cardinal Ratzinger Ordained your friend? He was in effect Ordained by The Pope. My mom is woot, wooting all over the hood. Proud German's and the fight is on with our dear Italian neighbors. Elderly ladies fighting over The Pope. We're all excited as well though. Papa Ratzi. LOL

He told me the day Cardinal Ratzinger was elected Pope, in this very quiet, modest matter-of-fact way. I was like, "wha--aaaaat????" LOL

I too am Catholic and proud to have Pope Benedict here in the US. Our archdiocese is celebrating it's 200th anniversary and he is going to offer a blessing to us. Every parish here got to put their names in for a drawing to go to the Mass at Yankee stadium. We unfortunately did not win. But 2 of my sisters get to go.... I am so happy they get to go but also a little bit envious. :)

I'm glad he met with some of the victims of priest abuse. I pray it will help them heal. They gave the pope a book with thousands of names of victims so he may pray for them. It's very helpful to acknowledge their pain.

I have a question about the cardinals garments. Why are some bright red and others a magenta red? Is there some significance or do they just order them from different vendors?

I always notice this when a bunch of them get together. You'd think they would all want to be the same color???

I am Catholic also, and think it's wonderful to have him visit us. I would love to see our Holy Father in person.

Cardinals wear red. The magenta, which the church calls violet, is worn by the Bishops.

Cardinals wear red. The magenta, which the church calls violet, is worn by the Bishops.

Who knew? That was a good question Pepper had. I was calling it Purple. Thanks, Crow. I wonder if that was one of our Confirmation questions and I forgot it?

He told me the day Cardinal Ratzinger was elected Pope, in this very quiet, modest matter-of-fact way. I was like, "wha--aaaaat????" LOL

LOL I'd have screamed. LOL That's so cool.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back