950 users online (136 members and 814 guests)  

Websleuths News

NJ - Two Year Old Shot In Face Police Cleaning Guns

This is such a sin. A two year old boy is in critical but stable condition after being shot in the face. His father is on the Deptford, New Jersey police force. The dad and another officer were cleaning their firearms out on a back porch after returning from the firing range. The little boy was on the porch as well and one of the guns discharged hitting the little boy in the face. I feel so awful for this lil one. I'd have to say that was one stupid move cleaning guns outside on a porch. Anybody could have been hit. Both officers are on desk duty until the investigation is concluded. Prayers for this little guy.http://www.nbc10.com/news/15924321/detail.html

Hopeful One is offline Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light
    Just the title of the thread made my heart jump into my throat. How incredibly sad.

Justice for Travis

Sometimes the first step towards forgiveness is understanding that the other person is a complete idiot.

They should both be released from the police force. Anyone that's ever owned a weapon knows the first thing you do before you clean it is to point it to where if it does accidentally discharge no one will be injured and clear the breech. Police officers above all should know this.

Aww, bless this little boy.

hipmamajen is offline I love the friends I have gathered together on this thin raft...
    Quote Originally Posted by mmmbrownies View Post
    Anyone that's ever owned a weapon knows the first thing you do before you clean it is to point it to where if it does accidentally discharge no one will be injured and clear the breech. Police officers above all should know this.
    Maybe they missed this day in the Police Academy?

Seriously, I took some little gun safety class when I was 10, and never handled a gun since, and I know that.
    Just thinkin' out loud....

They should both be released from the police force. Anyone that's ever owned a weapon knows the first thing you do before you clean it is to point it to where if it does accidentally discharge no one will be injured and clear the breech. Police officers above all should know this.
    Absolutely!

Be careful with bb guns even if you know you have emptied it. My dad growing up with his brothers in the area would play cowboys. They would unload their bb guns and pretend shoot, incredibly stupid but they were kids at the time and kids do stupid things. My uncle cleaned out his along with the other 8 boys in front of each other. One bb was lodged in there somehow and it shot another little boy in the eye and left him blind.

Another story was my cousin was cleaning his gun after a hunting trip and he thought it was empty, he shot the end of his finger off and it shot out the window. They searched for hours in a panic looking for it hoping it didnt shoot anyone else outside.

I cant imagine how bad it would hurt getting shot in the face Thank goodness he is stable poor thing.

Oh God, how terrible. I know this just had to be an accident. I couldn't imagine the guilt these two officers must be living with.
    Ugh.

They still need to be fired from their jobs for being foolish enough to allow this to happen.

This happened not 10 minutes from me..I hope they fire the twit!

Quote Originally Posted by Linda7NJ View Post
    This happened not 10 minutes from me..I hope they fire the twit!
    Out on his deck, Linda? They could have hit anybody. Never cleaned a firearm in the home. My dad for a whole thrity six years not once cleaned his service revolver in the house. Ever. Deptford cops messed up. I haven't heard how this little doll baby is. He's been in my prayers. O.K. no update on the little boy as of today.

I have clean alot of guns. The very frist thing I do is check to see if the gun is loaded. The next thing I do is make sure ( I know with out a doubt) it is not loaded. Even cleaning pistols I keep them pointed at the ground. I have never cleaned a loaded gun. You would think them being cops the would know the first thing to do would be unload the gun and never have it pointed at any thing you don't intend to shoot.

Worst part - there were 2 of them. Nothing to say - "Check me" and being prior military we had to check each other. Takes literally seconds to drop a clip, clear a breech and unlock and slide the slide off.

I'd have to wonder at this point if they were sitting around having a couple beers and ...

They should be fired, they should be made to pay restitution, they should have any and all firearm ownership rights removed because they're simply too careless, thoughtless or too dumb to own them. Charging them with negligence wouldn't be out of my mind either.

Southwestern Maine is home but I'm not there nearly often enough
    Worst part - there were 2 of them. Nothing to say - "Check me" and being prior military we had to check each other. Takes literally seconds to drop a clip, clear a breech and unlock and slide the slide off.
    Policies governing he handling of firearms varies a lot from PD to PD, it's not like the military or government agencies where policies are standardized. At the firing range some just drop the clip and click the gun to "make sure" the chamber is empty not taking into account ejector quirk or plain forgetting to fire the last round.