805 users online (118 members and 687 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

National Day of Silence - April 25, 2008

My university is not having any major event to participate in this that I know of, but I will be definately be participating on my own.

Lance Bass: 'It's time for me to stand up'

Lance Bass doesn't want others to stay silent as he did.

So he's made a public service announcement for the Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network (GLSEN). The spot, which is being distributed virally Friday, debuts in advance of the 11th annual National Day of Silence on April 25, when students take a vow of silence to protest bullying, harassment and discrimination in schools.

[snip]

"Everyday, thousands of students are silenced. They're silenced by fear, they're silenced for being who they are. ... They're brothers, they're sisters, they're gay, they're straight, they're you, they're me."

Bass, who recently completed a stint in the Broadway musical "Hairspray" and released a memoir, said the PSA is meant to honor Lawrence King -- a 15-year-old student was shot and killed in February in Oxnard, California, by a younger boy because he arrived at school in feminine attire.

More at link: http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Musi....ap/index.html

For more on the Day of Silence: http://www.dayofsilence.org

To view the PSA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah5eUz6iT9s

Oh man, I wish this really was a national day of silence, not based upon a statement regarding sexual orientation or preference. I would love to go 24 hours without hearing my husband utter a word.

Quote Originally Posted by SeekingJana View Post
    Oh man, I wish this really was a national day of silence, not based upon a statement regarding sexual orientation or preference. I would love to go 24 hours without hearing my husband utter a word.
    LOL! Thanks for the laugh today! I have been with my husband days on end 24/7 and I know how this feels as I need some breathing room. I love him but there is only so much a person can take before their head explodes

Quote Originally Posted by SeekingJana View Post
    oh gawd, so would I!

I'd love to participate, but it's hard to teach and not speak. I know students who will be participating, though.

My kids never have participated and probably won't again...

My daughter def is doing this. I also know a few teachers in Cali that are doing it.

They are using projectors to write everything.

IrishMist is offline You can't control the wind - but you can adjust your sails
    I'm proud to say that both of my girls have done this. Now that they're both in college and working, I don't know if they'll do it this year, though.

I WILL participate in this!

I didn't participate when I was in college, but I knew plenty of kids who did. A nice, non-violent way to quietly (ha!) draw attention to the plight that LGBT people still face.

ONE MORE DAY!

Since I'm participating, I won't be posting here on Friday either. *gasp* But I feel "silence" means not only speaking, but writing, typing, messaging, texting, etc. Also abandoning my MySpace pages, yikes!

Very cool! I applaud all WSers who have done/are doing this! I will have to stay silent as well.

If anyone is interested, the link below has what are called "Speaking Cards", so you can pass them out instead of having to talk to explain why you are not talking.

http://www.dayofsilence.org/downloads/r110.pdf

Two more hours until silence for me! Talk to you all on Saturday!

Considering I have dr's appts tomorrow and mostly interact with my kids, I cannot participate. But I applaud everyone who is!

I hope we can somehow remove the stigma, fear and disdain against this community of people.

This is very cool.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast