National Day of Silence - April 25, 2008

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
My university is not having any major event to participate in this that I know of, but I will be definately be participating on my own.

Lance Bass: 'It's time for me to stand up'

Lance Bass doesn't want others to stay silent as he did.
corner_wire_BL.gif

So he's made a public service announcement for the Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network (GLSEN). The spot, which is being distributed virally Friday, debuts in advance of the 11th annual National Day of Silence on April 25, when students take a vow of silence to protest bullying, harassment and discrimination in schools.

[snip]

"Everyday, thousands of students are silenced. They're silenced by fear, they're silenced for being who they are. ... They're brothers, they're sisters, they're gay, they're straight, they're you, they're me."

Bass, who recently completed a stint in the Broadway musical "Hairspray" and released a memoir, said the PSA is meant to honor Lawrence King -- a 15-year-old student was shot and killed in February in Oxnard, California, by a younger boy because he arrived at school in feminine attire.

More at link: http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Music/04/18/people.lance.bass.ap/index.html

For more on the Day of Silence: http://www.dayofsilence.org

To view the PSA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah5eUz6iT9s

Oh man, I wish this really was a national day of silence, not based upon a statement regarding sexual orientation or preference. I would love to go 24 hours without hearing my husband utter a word.

Oh man, I wish this really was a national day of silence, not based upon a statement regarding sexual orientation or preference. I would love to go 24 hours without hearing my husband utter a word.

LOL! Thanks for the laugh today! I have been with my husband days on end 24/7 and I know how this feels as I need some breathing room. I love him but there is only so much a person can take before their head explodes :eek:

oh gawd, so would I!:clap:

I'd love to participate, but it's hard to teach and not speak. I know students who will be participating, though.

My kids never have participated and probably won't again...

My daughter def is doing this. I also know a few teachers in Cali that are doing it.

They are using projectors to write everything.

I'm proud to say that both of my girls have done this. Now that they're both in college and working, I don't know if they'll do it this year, though.

I didn't participate when I was in college, but I knew plenty of kids who did. A nice, non-violent way to quietly (ha!) draw attention to the plight that LGBT people still face.

ONE MORE DAY!

Since I'm participating, I won't be posting here on Friday either. *gasp* But I feel "silence" means not only speaking, but writing, typing, messaging, texting, etc. Also abandoning my MySpace pages, yikes!

Very cool! I applaud all WSers who have done/are doing this! I will have to stay silent as well.

Considering I have dr's appts tomorrow and mostly interact with my kids, I cannot participate. But I applaud everyone who is! :clap:

I hope we can somehow remove the stigma, fear and disdain against this community of people.:blowkiss:

Friday, I was silent. Silent for Lawrence King. Silent for those that are persecuted and forced into their own silence every day just because of their sexual orientation.

What a day, emotional and all. My day was met mostly with support. Other than a few odd looks or rolled eyes, it was good. Others that participated were not so lucky. I've heard stories of riots within schools, gay bashing, and physical altercations, among other things.

Much more to my story, but at the risk of getting political and into arguments, I'll stop there. If you want to know more or see pictures from the day, send me a message and I'll be happy to share. Anyone else that participated have any stories they are willing to share?

RIP Lawrence, and all others who have died for being who they are.

There was no school on Friday in my town. I wonder if this observance day might have something to do with it.

I participated! Like Lance Bass, I was tired of staying silent. =D
My girlfriend also participated. I bet she loved me being quiet for an entire day.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy
Back