1341 users online (324 members and 1017 guests)  


The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    On the Third Coast
    Posts
    8,670

    Dog crosses desert, mountains to get back home

    http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=8197918

    19 April 08


    ELY, Nev. (AP) -- A dog that ran off during a road-trip rest stop apparently made her way nearly 80 miles across Nevada's high desert and two mountain ranges to return home a week later.

    Moon, a Siberian husky, was reunited April 14 with owner Doug Dashiell, who had last seen her April 6 near Railroad Valley, about 77 miles from his home in Ely.

    Moon, who is nearly 2 years old, was no worse for the wear, with the exception of stinking like a skunk that apparently sprayed her somewhere along the journey.

    "I've had trouble with her running away before. She's always come home," Dashiell said. But he didn't expect her to show up after a week had passed.

    more at link

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,490
    Thank goodness they found the dog. But I have issue with the owner though. If he had "trouble with her running away", why on earth would you let the dog out without a leash?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    On the Third Coast
    Posts
    8,670
    Quote Originally Posted by BeavisMom62 View Post
    Thank goodness they found the dog. But I have issue with the owner though. If he had "trouble with her running away", why on earth would you let the dog out without a leash?
    The article doesn't say he let her out without a leash.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    433
    Between this and Snickers the Sea Dog it is a great weekend!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,762
    Siberian Huskies are known to be "runners". That's something that she covered 80 miles of mt ranges and made it home! A week later nonetheless!
    Maybe she had jumped out the car window at the road trip rest stop? The main thing is she made it home! Such a beautiful story =)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,684
    I think all dogs have the ability to find their way "home" if they desire to return. My uncle once bought a registered hunting dog from Nashville but every hunting trip that dog would take off back home. They would find him running down I40 on his way back to Nashville. That dog just did not like his new home or new owners and was determined to go back to Nashville.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    399
    This is a wonderful story!

    We have about four outside cats and my dad got this idea to take them to a farm ( with the permission of the farmer) and this farm was about 15miles away. The nexted week all four showed up one by one , of course I got blamed for bring them back
    Joann thank you for showing me all the beautiful things in this world especially yourself!!!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cali -- but im a north east girl at heart!
    Posts
    424
    "Homeward Bound"


  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,594
    When I was young we had a dog who did this. This dog loved to go for rides in cars. One day she just disappeared. We couldn't figure it out. Then one day about 3 months later my mom got up in the morning and stepped out on the porch to get the newspaper and she was laying curled up by the door. She was skinny and her paws were really raw but she was home. We nursed her and babied her for a long time. We thought we'd never see her again. My dad figured she jumped in to a car with someone and they stole her but she made her way back home eventually. I'll never forget that. She went on to live a very long life and died very old, but happy to be home I imagine.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by hoppyfrog View Post
    http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=8197918

    19 April 08


    ELY, Nev. (AP) -- A dog that ran off during a road-trip rest stop apparently made her way nearly 80 miles across Nevada's high desert and two mountain ranges to return home a week later.

    Moon, a Siberian husky, was reunited April 14 with owner Doug Dashiell, who had last seen her April 6 near Railroad Valley, about 77 miles from his home in Ely.

    Moon, who is nearly 2 years old, was no worse for the wear, with the exception of stinking like a skunk that apparently sprayed her somewhere along the journey.

    "I've had trouble with her running away before. She's always come home," Dashiell said. But he didn't expect her to show up after a week had passed.

    more at link
    Incredible sense to find his way home ..... just another amazing dog story.

    Peace


  11. #11
    vadersbabe's Avatar
    vadersbabe is offline But never have I been a blue calm sea. I have always been a storm.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
    Posts
    72
    Wow. What a story. It always amazes me when I hear about animals being able to do this.
    I will never give up hope that someone, some where out there knows something about this precious soul.
    Please visit www.americasunknownchild.net
    www.myspace.com/americasunknownchild

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,814
    Quote Originally Posted by vadersbabe View Post
    Wow. What a story. It always amazes me when I hear about animals being able to do this.
    Me too vadersbabe...it always reminds me of the old movies like Lassie and stuff lol. Dogs are just so intelligent.
    Rest in Peace Baby P xx

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Posts
    510
    Quote Originally Posted by trixie View Post
    When I was young we had a dog who did this. This dog loved to go for rides in cars. One day she just disappeared. We couldn't figure it out. Then one day about 3 months later my mom got up in the morning and stepped out on the porch to get the newspaper and she was laying curled up by the door. She was skinny and her paws were really raw but she was home. We nursed her and babied her for a long time. We thought we'd never see her again. My dad figured she jumped in to a car with someone and they stole her but she made her way back home eventually. I'll never forget that. She went on to live a very long life and died very old, but happy to be home I imagine.
    That is a beautiful story. Thank you so much for sharing that with us!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    4,064
    I'd say a microchip would be in order for this dog!
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.---Patrick Moynihan
    Living in the

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    433
    This post made me think about Snickers the Sea dog. I checked to see if I could get an update on how he was doing in his new home and found a link to his buddy Gulliver the bird who was stranded with him.

    Gulliver is in California in quarantine and on his way to his forever home.

    Here is a news clip: http://www.kitv.com/video/16827296/index.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. CSI Vans back at Anthony Home 2:45 PM EST
    By liljim in forum Caylee Anthony 2 years old
    Replies: 308
    Last Post: 08-07-2008, 08:16 AM