Dog crosses desert, mountains to get back home

hoppyfrog

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=8197918

19 April 08

ELY, Nev. (AP) -- A dog that ran off during a road-trip rest stop apparently made her way nearly 80 miles across Nevada's high desert and two mountain ranges to return home a week later.

Moon, a Siberian husky, was reunited April 14 with owner Doug Dashiell, who had last seen her April 6 near Railroad Valley, about 77 miles from his home in Ely.

Moon, who is nearly 2 years old, was no worse for the wear, with the exception of stinking like a skunk that apparently sprayed her somewhere along the journey.

"I've had trouble with her running away before. She's always come home," Dashiell said. But he didn't expect her to show up after a week had passed.

more at link

Thank goodness they found the dog. But I have issue with the owner though. If he had "trouble with her running away", why on earth would you let the dog out without a leash?

Thank goodness they found the dog. But I have issue with the owner though. If he had "trouble with her running away", why on earth would you let the dog out without a leash?

The article doesn't say he let her out without a leash.

Siberian Huskies are known to be "runners". That's something that she covered 80 miles of mt ranges and made it home! A week later nonetheless!
Maybe she had jumped out the car window at the road trip rest stop? The main thing is she made it home! Such a beautiful story =)

I think all dogs have the ability to find their way "home" if they desire to return. My uncle once bought a registered hunting dog from Nashville but every hunting trip that dog would take off back home. They would find him running down I40 on his way back to Nashville. That dog just did not like his new home or new owners and was determined to go back to Nashville.

This is a wonderful story!

We have about four outside cats and my dad got this idea to take them to a farm ( with the permission of the farmer) and this farm was about 15miles away. The nexted week all four showed up one by one , of course I got blamed for bring them back

When I was young we had a dog who did this. This dog loved to go for rides in cars. One day she just disappeared. We couldn't figure it out. Then one day about 3 months later my mom got up in the morning and stepped out on the porch to get the newspaper and she was laying curled up by the door. She was skinny and her paws were really raw but she was home. We nursed her and babied her for a long time. We thought we'd never see her again. My dad figured she jumped in to a car with someone and they stole her but she made her way back home eventually. I'll never forget that. She went on to live a very long life and died very old, but happy to be home I imagine.

http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=8197918

19 April 08

ELY, Nev. (AP) -- A dog that ran off during a road-trip rest stop apparently made her way nearly 80 miles across Nevada's high desert and two mountain ranges to return home a week later.

Moon, a Siberian husky, was reunited April 14 with owner Doug Dashiell, who had last seen her April 6 near Railroad Valley, about 77 miles from his home in Ely.

Moon, who is nearly 2 years old, was no worse for the wear, with the exception of stinking like a skunk that apparently sprayed her somewhere along the journey.

"I've had trouble with her running away before. She's always come home," Dashiell said. But he didn't expect her to show up after a week had passed.

more at link

Incredible sense to find his way home ..... just another amazing dog story.

Peace

Wow. What a story. It always amazes me when I hear about animals being able to do this.

Wow. What a story. It always amazes me when I hear about animals being able to do this.

Me too vadersbabe...it always reminds me of the old movies like Lassie and stuff lol. Dogs are just so intelligent.:)

When I was young we had a dog who did this. This dog loved to go for rides in cars. One day she just disappeared. We couldn't figure it out. Then one day about 3 months later my mom got up in the morning and stepped out on the porch to get the newspaper and she was laying curled up by the door. She was skinny and her paws were really raw but she was home. We nursed her and babied her for a long time. We thought we'd never see her again. My dad figured she jumped in to a car with someone and they stole her but she made her way back home eventually. I'll never forget that. She went on to live a very long life and died very old, but happy to be home I imagine.
That is a beautiful story. Thank you so much for sharing that with us!

I'd say a microchip would be in order for this dog!

This post made me think about Snickers the Sea dog. I checked to see if I could get an update on how he was doing in his new home and found a link to his buddy Gulliver the bird who was stranded with him.

Gulliver is in California in quarantine and on his way to his forever home.

Here is a news clip: http://www.kitv.com/video/16827296/index.html

I had a cat that disappeared for a week when I moved house. I never thought I'd see her again either.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suesleuth
Back