Toddler blown into lake michigan

JinxieJada

Former Member
Reaction score
I cannot even begin to fathom the horror this poor grandfather must have felt, let alone the feelings of helplessness

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/04/19/boy.in.lake.ap/index.html

A gust of wind blew a 2-year-old in a stroller into Lake Michigan, where the boy remained submerged for at least 15 minutes before being pulled out unconscious but alive.

The child's grandfather, who had been pushing the stroller on the lakeside Friday afternoon, jumped into the harbor to try to save the boy, the Chicago Fire Department said.

Witnesses said the frantic grandfather struggled in the frigid water, just off a 70-foot long pier, pointing a few feet away and shouting in broken English, "Child! Child!"
"He was just moaning in the breakwater, crying," said John Derscheid, who called 911.

Found an update that says the babe is improving!!!

http://www.nbc5.com/news/15937474/detail.html?rss=chi&psp=news

"I think he will be OK," a man who identified himself as the boy's father said. "I hope so. We are praying."Anvar Teparic, a family friend, said the 2-year-old's parents were optimistic when he spoke to them Saturday. "The last I'm hearing from his father is that he's doing better still," Teparic said. "I hope so."The boy was listed Friday in critical condition at Children's Memorial Hospital, where he was taken after a dramatic rescue by members of the Chicago Fire Department's dive team.

Divers found the boy, still strapped in his stroller, about 10 feet beneath the water's edge.

OMG! How is the Grandfather?! He needs lots of hugs and comforting, and I hope they aren't letting him be alone right now. I can't imagine... Thank you, all that is Good and Right in the world, that the child is alive and getting better.

OMG! How is the Grandfather?! He needs lots of hugs and comforting, and I hope they aren't letting him be alone right now. I can't imagine... Thank you, all that is Good and Right in the world, that the child is alive and getting better.

From what I"m reading (I"m still tracking down links to see if I can find out more info)

It states that as of Saturday, the Grandfather was in Stable condition at St. Joseph's hospital. So physically, it sounds like he's going to be ok. Now emotionally? I don't know how one ever fully recovers from an experience like that.

OMGOSH, this is so horrible. I can't even imagine how the GF must feel. I hope he can just be happy the little boy is alive. I pray the little boy will recover fully.

I was "this close" to that happening to me when I was about 4. I was sitting on a causeway wall watching the big tankers go by on Lake Superior when one blew its horn right by us. I wasn't expecting that (it was so loud) and I almost fell off because I jumped. My dad had his arms around me and kept me from falling into the lake. :eek: I use to think there were sharks in the water too, so my dad was a real big hero to me for a long time.

This poor grandfather! How tragic and how scared he must have been.

Prayers to the grandfather and baby for full recovery.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back