KY - 8th grader put peanut butter in allergic classmate's lunch, Lexington, 2008

JinxieJada

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,351861,00.html

An eighth-grader in Kentucky is accused of putting peanut butter cookie crumbs in the lunchbox of a classmate with a severe peanut allergy.

The allergic student did not eat the cookies Thursday at Morton Middle School in Lexington.

Fayette County schools spokeswoman Lisa Deffendall says the accused student was arrested on a felony wanton endangerment charge. The student will face charges in the juvenile court system.

Deffendall says it was well known that the other student suffered allergies. There was no known history of problems between the two 13-year-olds.

As a parent of a child with severe environmental allergies, I can understand the need for the offending child to be punished, but I at the same time truly wonder if he/she knows the severity of what allergies can do? IMO the felony charge is a bit harsh. But I also don't have a child with food allergies so perhaps they are different than what I deal with? I do think the "offending" student, needs to have some sort of education, punishment, apology, and some sort of "time" (community service etc) but am just not sure of the severity of the charges?

Your thoughts?

I think 8th grade boys are very immature and don't realize the true consequences from doing something like this. He may come from one of those families that thinks anyone with peanut allergies is just making it up. (My sis goes through this!) I think it's harsh. I totally agree with education, punishment, apology and community service.

I hope that other boy will be o.k.

I don't know, if you are allergic to peanuts, it can kill you QUICK! One time you get them, and you "just" have gut cramps, the trots, headache and are sick for a couple days. (Note: The preceding is known as GI anapylaxis, common in food allergies, it is serious.) The next time, you could *DIE* in spite of medical attention. Just because you don't puff up, or start wheezing doesn't mean it isn't serious, not with food allergies. If the kid doesn't/won't understand that a food allergy isn't a laughing matter, than the idea needs to be hammered home that poisoning (which, essentially is what he tried to do) someone bears harsh consequences.

I don't know, if you are allergic to peanuts, it can kill you QUICK! One time you get them, and you "just" have gut cramps, the trots, headache and are sick for a couple days. (Note: The preceding is known as GI anapylaxis, common in food allergies, it is serious.) The next time, you could *DIE* in spite of medical attention. Just because you don't puff up, or start wheezing doesn't mean it isn't serious, not with food allergies. If the kid doesn't/won't understand that a food allergy isn't a laughing matter, than the idea needs to be hammered home that poisoning (which, essentially is what he tried to do) someone bears harsh consequences.

Yes, but, the allergic child didn't ingest them, and from the (short) article, it doesn't state that anything occurred. My thing is the offending student shouldn't "walk free" I just think felony charges on an 8th grader, for what seems like a "prank" is a bit harsh.

That would be like the 14 year old girl who passed because her boyfriend ate a pb & J sandwich hours earlier, then kissed her, being sentenced for murder imo. I don't know, but like I stated I don't have a child with those type of allergies, so maybe I just am looking at it from the wrong side of the fence so to speak?

IMO this kid new exactly what he was doing which is why he did it. This is disturbing behavior. Obviously he knew SOMETHING would happen or he wouldn't have bothered.

Yes, but, the allergic child didn't ingest them, and from the (short) article, it doesn't state that anything occurred. My thing is the offending student shouldn't "walk free" I just think felony charges on an 8th grader, for what seems like a "prank" is a bit harsh.

That would be like the 14 year old girl who passed because her boyfriend ate a pb & J sandwich hours earlier, then kissed her, being sentenced for murder imo. I don't know, but like I stated I don't have a child with those type of allergies, so maybe I just am looking at it from the wrong side of the fence so to speak?
why would these 2 scenarios be the same?I'm not following the logic there.

With some, even touching them is enough. For example, the allergist told me that the Mr. can't eat peanuts anymore either, lest he give me the kiss of death. I don't know if the kid is that allergic, but the intention to me seems to be to get the allergic kid to eat peanut proteins, so, an attempted poisoning, however badly executed. :twocents: And, the kid in that story I linked about the kiss of death didn't mean to hurt the girl, he didn't even know she was allergic. So, moot point, and not a valid argument. The kid in this story though, MEANT the other kid to be exposed to peanut protein, EVEN KNOWING THE KID WAS ALLERGIC. He *SHOULD* be charged.

I think this case is WAY different than the bf/gf situation. This 8th grader intentionally put the crumbs in that poor kid's lunchbox, so he probably knew what could happen. I'm only giving him the benefit of the doubt because I actually know ADULTS that don't take these allergies seriously. Which makes me wonder if he might not truly get it either. I think a lot depends on his track record though. If he's done stuff like this before, then harsher punishment is called for.

The entire peanut butter allergy thing is a sore spot with me....and rather than get my panties all twisted...I am going to say nothing;)

I think this case is WAY different than the bf/gf situation. This 8th grader intentionally put the crumbs in that poor kid's lunchbox, so he probably knew what could happen. I'm only giving him the benefit of the doubt because I actually know ADULTS that don't take these allergies seriously. Which makes me wonder if he might not truly get it either. I think a lot depends on his track record though. If he's done stuff like this before, then harsher punishment is called for.

That's what I'm saying, if he won't grasp the idea, if he wants to remain willfully ignorant, so be it. Then, it is time to force compliance, and teach these people that whether they believe peanut allergies exist or not, or to what degree they think they are serious or not, or if they think it is all just hype, or if they think their rights to have peanuts where-ever they please should trump the rights of someone who is allergic to them and who must share the same space with them, doesn't matter. If they try to get peanut proteins to someone who is allergic, they will be charged accordingly. Make them obey the law, even if they can't wrap their minds around the concept of why it is a bad thing.

ETA: I will say, there are degrees of "badness" though. Those who just scoff, but grumble and don't take peanuts around a person who is allergic, they are ok. Those who insist that their child should have peanut butter sandwiches and sends them to school with peanut butter, even though a classmate has a severe allergy, should, well I don't know, but that should be stopped. This kid though, he PLANTED PEANUT PROTEINS IN WITH THE LUNCH OF SOMEONE WHO IS ALLERGIC. That is very, very wrong. Those who "slip" peanuts (or tree nuts, or eggs, or milk etc.) to someone with a food allergy *SHOULD* face charges.

but he was expecting something to happen. I am guessing that after talking to him they charged him this way. 13 is clearly old enough to know the difference between right and wrong and this is very serious business.

... I've said what I think about it. I'm not going to get into a peeing contest on whose opinion is more valid, because the way I see it is, sometimes people *HAVE* to compromise for the sake of common decency, for the sake of others. (Individuals thinking of others, and being courteous, and working not to accidentally cause injury to a person nearby, is part of a Civil Society after all.) Not giving your kid peanut butter in his lunches, even though he loves it, falls into that catagory. 'Nuff said. This is how I felt *BEFORE* I was diagnosed with a peanut allergy, just as strongly. I was willing to give up peanuts for the sake of not exposing those with allergies, (pre-peanut allergy diagnosis) and I love them. (Can't have 'em anymore, ever again too.) It isn't like the kid can't eat peanut butter at home, anyway. I'm sure Linda7NJ doesn't send peanut butter to school with her kid anyway. And she is allowed to grumble too. I have known of, and read of some who do such things though. On a different message board one person told of how people would slip her peanuts just to prove she wasn't allergic. Again, not saying Linda7NJ does those things, I am "grrring" at those who I have read about that do.

KatK, I was just wondering what Linda7NJ thought. I already read what you thought! :blowkiss:

When I wrote "Do tell" did that come off sarcastic or something? I seriously wanted to hear her thoughts! I was smiling when I typed it!

I can see everyones' point and I'm honestly not attempting a pissing contest LOL.

I guess my thing is when does it stop? My daughter goes into throat closing situations, along with hives, eyes swell etc, when the dogwoods bloom and drop their "snow" And the schools are surrounded by them, can't use alot of stuff with certain fragrances in them etc. I have medical documentation to prove it, but the school says it's too costly to remove the trees (Which I can semi understand) But they also refuse to "ban" perfumes, body sprays etc. And while she's probably the one that has the "severest" reaction to the items mentioned above, she's not the ONLY one that reacts.

Friends will spray her, her lockermate (assigned by the school, not her just sharing a locker) will leave the stuff in the locker etc. Do I demand felonies be put onto these children? No, I go up, take her meds, and hope for the best, yes, she often does have to come home, but luckily she is a straight A student so she hasn't fallen behind yet.

But, I guess my thing is, what makes one more serious than the other? What makes one worthy of these type of charges versus another allergic situation?

Am I grumbling? No! I'm truly trying to understand, my daughter is in one of the best and most funded districts in the state so it's not a lack of resources etc. My middle daughter has children in her class that have peanut allergies, I found out FROM MY DAUGHTER, the school has NEVER mentioned it nor has the teacher, so sometimes it's not the parents acting ignorant by sending a "normal" sandwich or treat kwim? But she piped up one morning when I was packing her snack for the day, "Mom, I can't take that X,Y, and R will get sick if they smell peanuts" and I was packing cheese and peanut butter crackers. I'd hate to think that would make me ignorant because it's what I consider a "normal" type snack.

But again, where is the line drawn, No sugar, in case a child who is diabetic gets ahold of it? Nothing made with eggs or egg products, due to those that have severe egg allergies? What about those with dairy afflictions? Cancel fieldtrips or recess because of someone who is allergic to bees/wasps?

All of the above mentioned can give severe reactions, some more than others, but death is a possibility with some of them.

IMO this kid new exactly what he was doing which is why he did it. This is disturbing behavior. Obviously he knew SOMETHING would happen or he wouldn't have bothered.

I agree with you JBean. Even physical contact with a peanut product can cause problems with someone with a peanut allergy. I'm sure all the kids knew about this and this kid was severely out of line.

I thought I heard once about an airline passenger that died from merely inhaling peanut *whatever*. Maybe that's just a big 'ol myth, but I do know my nephew needs to carry an epi-pen everywhere he goes because of his allergies. Hopefully nobody tries to kill him.

KatKI was just wondering what Linda7NJ thought. I already read what you thought! :blowkiss:

I think kids with a nut allergy should eat in another area of the school. Banning peanut butter and all things containing peanut oil is ridiculous! Hand them an Epi pen and let them eat in a classroom & keep them out of the cafeteria.

As far as the kid that tried to murder his classmate...throw the book at him, he knew exactly what he was doing!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back