1385 users online (258 members and 1127 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Food Rationing in America?

The curbs and shortages are being tracked with concern by survivalists who view the phenomenon as a harbinger of more serious trouble to come.
    Its sporadic. Its not every store, but its becoming more commonplace, the editor of SurvivalBlog.com, James Rawles, said. The number of reports Ive been getting from readers who have seen signs posted with limits has increased almost exponentially, Id say in the last three to five weeks.

http://nysun.com/news/food-rationing...adbasket-world

Scary, much?

i'll have to examine what's going on in Germany. i would say prices have gone up of late. i'll return and report.

Well when it gets to the point of going beyond flour, rice and oil and the shelves are empty or near empty at the grocery store then I may worry.

When you go to the store and cannot buy milk, cereal, eggs, meat, fruits and veggies. I will be very concerned.

But three items, not much to worry about........

Quote Originally Posted by CyberLaw View Post
    Well when it gets to the point of going beyond flour, rice and oil and the shelves are empty or near empty at the grocery store then I may worry.

When you go to the store and cannot buy milk, cereal, eggs, meat, fruits and veggies. I will be very concerned.

Flour and oil are staples to me.

I've read in several places there is a rice shortage due to droughts and farmers not growing it as much. I couldn't get to pg 2 or 3 of the link (my pc probably) so I don't know what else they were covering...

Thanks for the info, Floh. I know I'm feeling the crunch financially and don't like the choices we have when money is short.

Quote Originally Posted by Floh View Post
    i thought flour and oil were only a staple in the south where i live. we deep fry everything.

Quote Originally Posted by sherri79 View Post
    i thought flour and oil were only a staple in the south where i live. we deep fry everything.
    Add Oreos to the equation, and you have the perennial highschool football concession stand treat!

Quote Originally Posted by CyberLaw View Post

Yep - I can't seem to get very worked up about this either.

Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom View Post
    Yep - I can't seem to get very worked up about this either.
    It concerns me more from a business perspective. Mr. Masterj is a part owner of a small, healthy, pizza shop in NYC. This is making things a lot harder for them.

Does the U.S. government still pay farmers NOT to farm? Every farmer around here is planting as much corn as possible. The price of land doubled in the past 18 months.

We just left Mexico and where we live down there almost ALL the corn crop is being used for none food reasons. How scary is that?! 33% of the Mexican population is hungry yet all the corn is going for other reasons.

This does worry me. I have been hearing for a very long time about food shortages. We always have a garden here in the US and try to stock up on things but with money as tight as it is now this is very hard to do.

There's been an interesting documentary on PBS about corn this week. Very interesting. It touches on what Pixies has mentioned how it's not being used for food sources. My parents and grands often tell us about the food ration during the war. Heard it a billion times and now we may be looking at something far worse.

The cooking oil can be explained in a way. Gas prices are *HIGH* and there are some cars (diesel) that can actually be converted to run...on cooking oil. Biodiesel. Bet the places that are rationing cooking oil have several customers with cars like that. Makes sense, doesn't it? The flour, I dunno, and that does spook me cause it is a staple.

Quote Originally Posted by Filly View Post
    There's been an interesting documentary on PBS about corn this week. Very interesting. It touches on what Pixies has mentioned how it's not being used for food sources.
    You're right: it's being burned for fuel, and it's being fed to animals.

Burning food for fuel is madness.

And instead of it being fed to animals to turn them into food, it could be fed to a *lot* more people.

Hoppy

From what i've gathered, it's dairy on the increase here (Germany/Europe). all to do with cattle feed is my understanding.

we are storing essentials because we think there may be a problem at least with transportation of food to the shops, anyway (gas/petrol/benzine prices). in the fairly near future.

Me too! I make all our bread! Add in that rice is a huge staple for us too and they grow it down here.

Not sure I'll see a shortage of that sooner than flour and oil but I'm stocking up!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast